Getting back into the hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrownUK

Reaction score
Been dipping in and out of the hobby since the early 90s.

With time at home like most of us find ourselves with at the moment, I’ve decided to dust down some old rockets and make some kits that have waited in the wings.

Back in the late 90s early 2000s I had worked up to the mid to high power stuff.

Back then getting Aerotech engines shipped from the US.

Mostly had public missile kits for HP stuff and of course Estes for the low P.

I had access to a large disused airfield in Essex through a friend of mine.

Few years later engines became hard to obtain , and could not use the land anymore, so I sold off all my casings , heavy rail launch pad and HP rockets.

Attended EARS club in east of England for the odd meet in late 2000s .

Now today more than happy to use the low power stuff. With clustering and booster stages it covers everything for me.

My kits either made or to be made are from Estes , Klima , Loc and Madcow . Plus my collection of tubes etc for custom stuff.

While I have a good stack of Estes engines , I’m buying Klima mostly now as seem best option with Ds being only 18mm, so fitting clusters into smaller tubes works well.

I kept my Aerotech mantis launch pad and have the Klima pad too.

Of all the kits I’ve had over the years the Estes pro series stuff from the 90s I miss the most .

My Patriot, Phoenix, Honest John , and Jayhawk got lost in a house move about 10 years ago. Despite having built and flown bigger larger stuff they remain my favourites.

Still some old Estes pro series 90s kits about , but they are £ and hard to find.

Plan to customer build the patriot soon as per the original dimensions and plans.

So I’ll keep an eye on the forum and post some pics when I can.

Then look forward to the coming months to see when it is all safe and ok to go out and fly again !

Been dipping in and out of the hobby since the early 90s.

With time at home like most of us find ourselves with at the moment, I’ve decided to dust down some old rockets and make some kits that have waited in the wings.

Back in the late 90s early 2000s I had worked up to the mid to high power stuff.

Back then getting Aerotech engines shipped from the US.

Mostly had public missile kits for HP stuff and of course Estes for the low P.

I had access to a large disused airfield in Essex through a friend of mine.

Few years later engines became hard to obtain , and could not use the land anymore, so I sold off all my casings , heavy rail launch pad and HP rockets.

Attended EARS club in east of England for the odd meet in late 2000s .

Now today more than happy to use the low power stuff. With clustering and booster stages it covers everything for me.

My kits either made or to be made are from Estes , Klima , Loc and Madcow . Plus my collection of tubes etc for custom stuff.

While I have a good stack of Estes engines , I’m buying Klima mostly now as seem best option with Ds being only 18mm, so fitting clusters into smaller tubes works well.

I kept my Aerotech mantis launch pad and have the Klima pad too.

Of all the kits I’ve had over the years the Estes pro series stuff from the 90s I miss the most .

My Patriot, Phoenix, Honest John , and Jayhawk got lost in a house move about 10 years ago. Despite having built and flown bigger larger stuff they remain my favourites.

Still some old Estes pro series 90s kits about , but they are £ and hard to find.

Plan to customer build the patriot soon as per the original dimensions and plans.

So I’ll keep an eye on the forum and post some pics when I can.

Then look forward to the coming months to see when it is all safe and ok to go out and fly again !

Plenty of great Low Power stuff still being flown at EARS (well up until the lockdown and hopefully again soon..) If you're still within reach of the Elsworth site. I'm pretty sure Rockets & Things still has Estes Pro kits. Their website isn't always up to date but they regularly bring new stock to launches. Recently they've also had some of the smaller Loc Precision 'park flyer' stuff in stock also.

Back