Getting back into the hobby and going big this time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFlyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Bit late to just be doing my introduction but figure now is as good of a time as ever. Got into model rockets in the mid 90s when I flew with our middle school club. Our shop teacher Mr. Nelson (Dick Nelson) ran the club and I was totally hooked and flew model rockets and some MPR stuff (Aerotech Intiator) up until I graduated from highschool. Now, with kids of my own, an active local club (Wright Stuff Rocketeers 703), and a very well stocked local store (eRockets.biz) I've found myself prepping for my L1 cert flight in the hopefully near future (once our HPR field opens up).

I've found myself mostly interested in the HPR stuff now as it just wasn't on my radar when I was younger but I've been accumulating quite a few kits as I take my daughter to build nights and we buy a new kit almost every time. Also found myself buying up some nostalgia kits with a Skywinder being my most recent. The hobby is a bit different from when I was a kid but I'm very much enjoying myself these days. I've got my L1 build (a LOC IV) almost ready for paint and I'll be documenting my L2 build (WM Bad Dog 98) when I get to that.

Welcome back - Dick Nelson is a legend in the hobby, can't get much better of a mentor. Good luck with your L1.

A belated welcome to your belated introduction!

I am jealous of those who live in proximity to one of the big rocket vendors, although my wallet might not appreciate having such easy access to erockets.biz...

Its a double edged sword. On the upside, weekly build nights and basically everything I could need rocketry related just a 20 minute drive from my house. On the flip side, weekly build nights and basically everything I could need rocketry related just a 20 minute drive from my house.

Welcome back - Dick Nelson is a legend in the hobby, can't get much better of a mentor. Good luck with your L1.

Dick was a great person and teacher. I only wish I had reached out to him to thank him for everything before he passed.

A belated welcome to your belated introduction!

I am jealous of those who live in proximity to one of the big rocket vendors, although my wallet might not appreciate having such easy access to erockets.biz...
I feel the same way about living in Hawaii. I lived in Vegas for 5 years and managed to avoid a gambling addiction. I’m not so sure about launching HPR at Jean or Black Rock or Mojave.

Here’s a Fliskits Rocket Kit that’s dedicated to Dick Nelson,
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/d-nelson-tomahawk/

Funny you should mention that kit. I was bidding on an original Estes packaged commemorative kit from when Dick was running the Pearl River Modroc events. Lost out on that but ended up grabbing one of the Fliskits to use as a template for an upscale. Not sure when I'll get around to it but it's on the list.

Back