Getting back into rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor

Reaction score
Hello folks. I remember a number of the names I've seen while lurking the past couple weeks and its good to see the community thriving. It's been awhile since I've been actively into this board and rockets in general but I guess I just couldn't stay away for more than a couple years. I've been into this hobby about 30 years but float in and out from time to time...

This time I got sidetracked with radio control planes... I originally wanted to learn to fly for rocket gliders but with all the latest developments with electric powered models and the "3D" style of aerobatics, I got sucked in! It really is amazing the technology these days and with PC flight simulators its much much easier to get into if you have the interest.

Anywho, one great thing about rockets is that my wife really likes them, has built a handful and liked to go to the NOVAAR launches with me. So, when my interest returned recently, I fixed my busted Big Daddy (carbon fiber is great), finished my Aerotech Astobee D and am 75% done with a TLP Bullpup AGM-12C. Meanwhile, my wife built a nice Estes Executioner to complement her Big Daddy and smaller rockets.

We went to the NOVAAR launch last weekend and flew our Big Daddys and the Executioner and had a good time despite the wind. We're talking about new rockets we want and the dozens I still have in storage to be built. I think this means we're back to being regulars at the field!

Ken from Performance Hobbies was at the launch and while buying some 24mm casings and a box of 24 C5-3s (are these still certified?), I remembered the "new" 29mm HPR redline motor that I wanted way back. He had one so I bought it and will recert at the next launch with my 3 inch PML Tomahawk.

I keep thinking about all the projects I had wanted to tackle and now I think I'll go for a little more complexity - MPR clusters with staging and some HPR with altimeters and camera payloads. So many ideas, so little time...

Well, I'm getting a bit long-winded so I'll close with the impression I get today that there are more model rocket vendors and HPR motor manufacturers than I ever remember. I'm glad to see The Launch Pad back in business (that was as good as Family Guy getting back on the air!) and our legal issues seem to be heading in the right direction. I look forward to this season and reading about everyone's adventures here on TRF.

oh, and I finally finished my Estes catalog collection. 1975 to present with a few late 60s and early 70s editions and a few Centuri catalogs thrown in for good measure!

Yeah, I tried to walk away from rockets for awhile too....monetary reasons.

I think it lasted about 2 weeks before I caught myself already planning my next design. Just give up! Resistance is futile! :D

https://www.colonialvirginiahpr.org/virginia.html

I don't know where Ashburn is, but if you can make the trip to Mechanicsville (north of Richmond by about a half hour), we at the Vikings Rocket Society hold monthly sport launches (we've launched up to Hs there) on the third Sunday of every month, from 1:00PM to 4:00PM. You can also join the Vikings Rocket Society Yahoo group

Try to make it to the VRS launch this month! :D

Oh, and welcome back! I'm just getting into R/C planes (with a very limited budget and a Great Planes PT-40 :D )

-Jake Alexander

Glad you had a good time at the launch,Trog.I was there too.I'm usually a regular.I'm sure I would remember you if I saw you.I'm most famous for my Big Red Max clones.No matter what else I fly I almost always get in a Red Max flight.
Also,I know what you mean about letting rocketry slip away from you.I have been in and out several times over the years.Got back in heavy a couple of years ago right before NARAM-46 was held at the NOVAAR field in 2004.Plus,I also know what it feels like to never be able to reach the end of your projects.I gave up on that many moons ago.Now I just take my time on them so that they stretch themselves out and don't work me to death.It's still hard to do though.

Back