getting back into high power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askrob

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I used to do High Power rocketry with my dad up until I graduated high school. We were members of Kloudbusters in Argonia, KS. At the time we stopped was around Sept. 11, and all the challenges that come from. I was Level 1 certified with Tripoli. I realize I need to launch again to get that back. However, I'm starting to think about doing my level 2. Since I've been out of it for a long time, where can I buy a level 2 kit? I live in KC now, but may still launch in Argonia. I haven't decided.

Lots of choices for L2 kits

Madcow rocketry, wildman rocketry, mac performance rocketry, binder design, fusionrocket.biz, even apogee rockets all have L2 capable kits.

You can get a 38mm kit that'll do L1 and L2, but Id recommend getting a 54mm kit for the L2. Wider range of L2 power and experience with a 54mm mount

Lots of choices for L2 kits

Madcow rocketry, wildman rocketry, mac performance rocketry, binder design, fusionrocket.biz, even apogee rockets all have L2 capable kits.

You can get a 38mm kit that'll do L1 and L2, but Id recommend getting a 54mm kit for the L2. Wider range of L2 power and experience with a 54mm mount
Soooo, like the Ferengi. L1, L2, ????, PROFIT!!!! :dancingelephant: Sorry, was a B5 fan. :)

OK, a little more seriously. Depends on where your thoughts are. Do you like altitude? Or do you like to see the whole flight? There are kits galore on both sides of that thought. If you like to fly out of sight you may want to look at tracking. Way many choices at this point in rocketry. What's something you always wanted to do in rocketry back in the day? I know, no answers. Up to you. BTW, get in with the Kloudbusters. Only time I launched with them was the latest LDRS. Great buncha folks. And the Rocket Pasture ain't bad either. :D

All, thanks so much for your advice. I prefer higher altitude, but if I'm going to do a certification, I would be more cautious. There are so many choices now! I do have casings, including a 54mm that my dad used to get his level 2. I realize that single use is an option now as well.

What I'll probably end up doing is buying something for my level 2 and building it this fall/winter. Hopefully, I can launch next spring/summer. Most likely, I'll use my previous level 1 rocket (a black brant bbx from LOC).

I'll certainly get back in Kloudbusters. A bit of a distance from KC, but my in-laws are just minutes away.

A LOC IROC with a 54mm mmt would be a option. I600 for L1, then J350 for L2, then remove then adapter and fly some 54mm fun... Or add a AV bay for really high flying. A WM 4" kit could probably be flown w/o the payload for L1 also. Then put the AV bay and payload on for serious altitude.
But first, look at all the mfg's kit offerings and see what kit designs tickle your brain fun centers...

I decided to go with the PML Tethy's. I have my previous level 1, but to make sure that I knew how to build one again, I decided to use a different one for my level 1/2. Hopefully, one of these days I can get a level 3.

Back