Getting back in after a couple decades +

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewrt

26 hour/day parent
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After 25 years out of the hobby I got the itch to get back in after finding a box full of Estes models I built/flown in middle school over this last summer (some of them actually still fly really well). I've been reading the forums for at least 5 months and just recently decided it was time to create a login and engage with what little time my young family can spare.

There seems to be many stories like mine getting back in the hobby after many years away and I hope you have room for another hooligan. Some things have changed somethings not. I've read through the sticky threads in the beginner section, good info there. Right now I'll be spending most my time with the "low power" folks as my range isn't terribly large and its what my younger daughter and I can handle. Maybe some day going bigger.... maybe.

PS sorry for the out-of-stock items during the Estes BF sale. I bought tons of stuff and many duplicates.....

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.
Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around.
Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
(Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya?
(Back here where we need ya?)
Yeah, we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot.
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

I think most of us are back to the hobby after a long hiatus. Welcome to the forum.

-Bob

Mike: Welcome back to the fold.
Bat-mite: Up your nose with a rubber hose.;)
Heh heh heh heh......

The OP's profile says 37 y.o. Welcome Back Kotter was cancelled in 1979.

So, welcome to the forum @mikewrt . Many of us are very old. >smile<

Right now I'll be spending most my time with the "low power" folks as my range isn't terribly large and its what my younger daughter and I can handle.

Are you near a NAR club? They might have a field with a larger recovery area.

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Yes, welcome, you'll find lots of BARs here. I suddenly woke up and realized that there were motors larger than "D", computer simulations were a thing, and you could fly with electronics on board. Wow.

Sounds good. I am also back from a 20 year hiatus. Have fun

Similar situation, except I came back to the hobby after not doing it since about 1979-80. Had been talking about my old hobbies with my son, after he asked what I used to do for hobbies, and thought to myself that I did enjoy rocketry when I was a kid, and why not do it again with my son? :) He likes to fly rockets, but trying to get him to finish a project, thats been hard.

Anyways, Mikewrt, welcome to the hobby. :)

I am also coming back after a long break. It has been over 30 years since I left the hobby, but I am now helping mentor a TARC team, and that has re-ignited my interest in the hobby.

. Some things have changed somethings not.
welcome back! i consider myself a REBAR. i was into rocketry back in the late 80s/early 90s, stopped until 97 and was addicted til 2002, then got back into it a couple years ago.

one thing that hasnt changed over the years:
there are only 2 parts of flight to be concerned with: the up part and the down part.:D

Welcome Back! Here's one way to catch up -
Stop by my build blog (listed below), go to the right side to the "SEARCH THIS BLOG" window.
Type in TIPS", hit SEARCH.

In the blog entries you'll see the word TIP in blue.
Lots of information, maybe something you haven't thought about.

And yet another REBAR appears...

Just joined this morning after 42 years!!! Built many Estes models in the mid 70's and last was a 1/70th scale Saturn 1B. Then had to focus on college, career, start a family and all. Glad to be back! Currently building a fiberglass Madcow 4" Black Brant II with Eggtimer electronics.

Hi Everyone!: Welcome back! I too am a "newbie" BAR. Was forty some odd years for me too! I heartily recommend hcmbanjo's Blog! I read it almost everyday!

Sincerely,
J.W.
Another B.A.R.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, comments and ideas. Lots of new things to learn from computer sims to on board electronics. I already have a build pile thanks to black Friday sales, ebay and a kick start from my supportive wife.

I'm sure there are NAR clubs around the Phoenix area. I'll check the NAR site and maybe find an event schedule. It is flying season in the desert!

Welcome back to the hobby, and to TRF, Mike. Beware, the BAR bug bites hard! :D

I never heard of these when I was kid. Got into them in my 40's, life got in the way and had to bail. Now I'm 60 and got back into these 6 months ago with grandkids. They love chasing rockets for me. It's a blast.

Beware of the new controllers, you have to push the the safety key hard and the launch button! I learned that the hard way. o_O

Thank you all for the warm welcome, comments and ideas. Lots of new things to learn from computer sims to on board electronics. I already have a build pile thanks to black Friday sales, ebay and a kick start from my supportive wife.

I'm sure there are NAR clubs around the Phoenix area. I'll check the NAR site and maybe find an event schedule. It is flying season in the desert!

Welcome back from another desert rat. There are two clubs that fly in the Phoenix area, the NAR club is the Superstition Spacemodeling Society with their webpage here:
https://sssrocketry.com/

The other club is Tripoli Phoenix, with their webpage here:
https://www.traphx.com/

We fly with both clubs, and have been for many years. If you want more info. contact me with a "conversation" by clicking on the envelope on the upper right hand corner. You just missed the SSS launch this weekend, but it is flying season in the desert.

I never heard of these when I was kid. Got into them in my 40's, life got in the way and had to bail. Now I'm 60 and got back into these 6 months ago with grandkids. They love chasing rockets for me. It's a blast.

Beware of the new controllers, you have to push the the safety key hard and the launch button! I learned that the hard way. o_O

Thanks for the heads up on the new controllers! I didn't bother finding my old Estes pad and controller which I think are still stuffed away in a box somewhere. I never cared for it much anyways and per your remarks the newer "off the shelf basic controllers" don't sound much better. I started off building my own pad and higher voltage / current controller. Really kicks those starters to attention instantly. I like building things and have the skills to do thus I wanted a nice functional pad that could adapt up to 1/4" rods and a controller that was safe and could easily start any motor or combination of motors that I could dream up in the near future.

Welcome back from another desert rat. There are two clubs that fly in the Phoenix area, the NAR club is the Superstition Spacemodeling Society with their webpage here:
https://sssrocketry.com/

The other club is Tripoli Phoenix, with their webpage here:
https://www.traphx.com/

We fly with both clubs, and have been for many years. If you want more info. contact me with a "conversation" by clicking on the envelope on the upper right hand corner. You just missed the SSS launch this weekend, but it is flying season in the desert.

I figured there were local clubs just hadn't had the time to do the research. I'll try to reach out as time allows. Would love to come check out a sanctioned event vs my "back yard range" shoot with the kids. I'm afraid I will catch the high power bug too quick!

Oh, you *must*. It will... change your perspective.

YES it will! I went to my first a few months ago, ROSCO out of Camden, SC. It was amazing. Never saw anything bigger than E before. Wow! And the people were great too!

Back