Get rid of post count (poll)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want post count to be removed?

• Yes.

• No.

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't think you can just turn off postcount.

But with the power of greasemonkey and javascripts you can do anything ;)
I wrote a script, but apparently it nukes a bit *too* much (like the whole page).

I say get rid of them. (we are all tired of that Fliss guy whipping our posteriors)....:eek:

BTW...no flames please.
That was meant in jest......:D:D:D

I voted "i don't care," but the best reason for having a post count is that you have a clue when someone signs up just to do something nefarious, or you have a clue that they may not have a clue!

Once the post count gets above 50 or so, then maybe it can become fodder for abuse, but really, I've never seen all that much. And if someone does try to abuse it, Troy can just excise them, and they'll have to start again at zero!

IMO inane posts should be allowed in the Watering Hole by definition (except under extraordinary conditions). In other forums, it should be the job of the mods to redirect threads that have totally spun out of control with off-topic discussions. Small diversions are always expected. BTW, even RP with its light moderation does so, and I've yet to see a case where the posters responded negatively to a nudge to keep thing on-track. So if someone wants to keep their post count up by posting in threads like 'word association', let them feel good about themselves.

Folks, as always I sincerely appreciate everyone's constructive dissatisfaction when it comes to the board. Sincerely.

One thing that helps any venture grow is feedback from it's customers. At the same point though, like I tell my own folks, 'everyone gets an input but, I'm accountable for the final decision.'

Having said this, I've heard all sides of the conversation; pro, con, and indifferent. I've sincerely thought about all sides and in the end I posted elsewhere that "post count" is here to stay. I hope users of our board will accept that and my decision.

Folks, as always I sincerely appreciate everyone's constructive dissatisfaction when it comes to the board. Sincerely.

One thing that helps any venture grow is feedback from it's customers. At the same point though, like I tell my own folks, 'everyone gets an input but, I'm accountable for the final decision.'

Having said this, I've heard all sides of the conversation; pro, con, and indifferent. I've sincerely thought about all sides and in the end I posted elsewhere that "post count" is here to stay. I hope users of our board will accept that and my decision.

Wait...

You think owning the place gives you some special authority, or something...? ;)

-Kevin

I see the poll standings and agree with them so far, but accept your decision regardless.

I've got a XBOX360 and in games you get achievement points and you can compare your total with your online buddies. Occasionally I'll use my total for some light-hearted '/me iz teh 1337357!!!!!one!!111!!' type banter; but at the end of the day everybody knows they are a useless metric and not much more than a bit of fun.

I've got the same attitude towards postcount - its a noddy statistic that can be used for a bit of fun banter sometimes.

I dont hate them and I dont like them so I voted 'dont care'.

Wait...

You think owning the place gives you some special authority, or something...? ;)

-Kevin

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you....

Well, no matter how much we want to get rid of post count, Troy *IS* the owner of this place and has the authority to do anything. If he says that post count stays - it stays.

Seems I haven't been careful enough, and I haven't seen that "Post count is here to stay" post, and I apologise for that.

Off topic, but in the early days, I seem to remember Carl setting his to some humongous number :)

Well, no matter how much we want to get rid of post count, Troy *IS* the owner of this place and has the authority to do anything. If he says that post count stays - it stays.

Seems I haven't been careful enough, and I haven't seen that "Post count is here to stay" post, and I apologise for that.

Hmmm... Perhaps my attempt at sarcasm was missed by a few....

-Kevin

I've got a XBOX360 bla bla bla...

Do you have to bring that up in every thread?? :p

FWIW I think postcount should stay, but maybe have non-rocketry forums (such as this one) not count towards it?

Phil

FWIW I think postcount should stay, but maybe have non-rocketry forums (such as this one) not count towards it?

Go back in your hole, Wik... :p

In all reality, that would be a pain in the tuckus for AK, etc. Getting rid of post count is as simple as changing the template, so it doesn't display.

Making it only appear for some forums and not others likely gets into extensive code mods.

-Kevin

Fair enough... I thought seeing as on the old TRF Area 51 posts didn't count towards post count that maybe it was just a check box somewhere.

And my hole has wifi, so I'm afraid you're stuck with me ;)

Fellas it just not a big deal IMO :) If anything it gets the odd laugh :)

Whoa--what is going on? All of of a sudden every vote is against getting rid of the post count. This is kind of like the vote count in Minnesota. I do not want to imply anything against the "moderators" or others involved in this forum--but I will not take this. What are you afraid of?

Whoa--what is going on? All of of a sudden every vote is against getting rid of the post count. This is kind of like the vote count in Minnesota. I do not want to imply anything against the "moderators" or others involved in this forum--but I will not take this. What are you afraid of?

I haven't been watching all day, but this is generally the same proportion that I've seen earlier. I'm not sure what you are implying. In any case, remember that a) it doesn't matter anyway and b) if there are 500+ members on the forum and only 65 have bothered to vote, "I don't care" would seem to be way ahead.:D

Trust me, Troy has too many other things far ahead of this on his "to do" list and most of us don't have high enough privileges to steer the results one way or the other. I doubt if anyone is up to anything nefarious. More likely, people came home from work, logged on and voted.

Hey Peartree for your information I just voted in this. The reason why I just voted was that I was a lurking member here for a while untill I got arotherized to be able ot post or add new threads or even say Hi other than doing the IM mailing. I voted I dont care but then my vote did not mater much since Akpilot said it is here to stay. so now my post count is up to 2. yah ho and those other words of fun and excitememt.

I'm not sure what you are implying.

Trust me, Troy has too many other things far ahead of this on his "to do" list and most of us don't have high enough privileges to steer the results one way or the other. I doubt if anyone is up to anything nefarious.

Even with your cheating, I am winning. Ha, Ha, Ha.

The thing is that I really did not think that too many listned to me on the old TRF when my post count was over 300 so when it is now at 6 do i really expect any one to notice? no so therefore I really don't count my posts. I almost used as many reallys as my post count....

Last edited:
Back