Georgia Has Reopened

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Just a teen who likes building rockets
Reaction score
20200502_131710.jpg

^ Highway Yesterday, weird to see traffic starting up again although it's how it has always been before the virus lol. Also, restaurants were super packed, guess people are tired of home cooking

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Are starting to see a leveling of the decline in new cases. Will it rise again? Time will tell.

I got Greek take out and order Dominoes. I say no to sitting in a restaurant.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Yeah, Oklahoma partially relaxed their partial closure. In about 2 weeks I'll look at it again and see about easing back.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Maryland is still a long way away from any easing of restrictions. Numbers of new cases are not in decline, and we had our worst ever day on Friday.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Maryland is still a long way away from any easing of restrictions. Numbers of new cases are not in decline, and we had our worst ever day on Friday.
Don't rush it.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Listened to the radio a little yesterday and the discussion was about businesses may reopen in places, but that doesn't mean people will go. I know I won't be going out any more than I have to until I know this thing has wound down. We don't go to restaurants much anyway, so I have no desire to go out to eat.

The one place I really "need" to get to is my local hardwood store as I need some walnut to finish a project. You can call ahead and get stuff with a curbside pick-up, but I prefer to pick out my own boards.

Rob702Martinez

Zip-Tie Oversight Committee
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Are you able to register cars yet in GA at the registration offices yet?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
No problem here. My family is going to continue living in lockdown mode until there is a vaccine.
I will have a similar approach. I might go to launches.

heada

Reaction score
I'm no medical expert but I've read several articles that have suggested that a vaccine may be quite a ways away, 12 to 36 months, and even then may not be very effective. The problem being that since this is a carona virus, it mutates very easily and quickly, similar to the flu virus. The vaccine would be similar in effect as the seasonal flu vaccine, much better than nothing but not like the polio or small pox vaccines.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason I thought that corona viruses mutated more slowly. Am I misremembering something Chuck said in another thread?

heada

Reaction score
Slower than seasonal influenza virus but faster than most viruses. There are at least 2 major strains of SARS-CoV-2 and possibly up to 30 total strains circulating already.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The number of new cases had not yet peaked when the "governor" eased restrictions here in GA. As soon as the restrictions were eased, the GA Dept of Health changed the way they counted new cases, so it looked like there is a downturn. But I have been tracking the number of new cases from the CDC stats, and have yet to see more than 2 days in a row that the number of new cases have declined.

As I am technically in that demographic that my local brethren think should be sacrificed, so that they can attend NASCAR races and UGA events, I will continue to stay at home until I see 14 straight days of decline. I can still shop locally and support small businesses but be safe, and I will continue to do that as long as I need to.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm no medical expert but I've read several articles that have suggested that a vaccine may be quite a ways away, 12 to 36 months, and even then may not be very effective. The problem being that since this is a carona virus, it mutates very easily and quickly, similar to the flu virus. The vaccine would be similar in effect as the seasonal flu vaccine, much better than nothing but not like the polio or small pox vaccines.
Coronavirus is a slow mutator. What I have read indicates that the immunity maybe short lived not because of immunity but because of the memory loss by our immune system. The longest immunity for Coronavirus is 1-2 years. That is not due to mutation but instead a loss of immunity over time (memory loss for the defense system).

boatgeek

Reaction score
Coronavirus is a slow mutator. What I have read indicates that the immunity maybe short lived not because of immunity but because of the memory loss by our immune system. The longest immunity for Coronavirus is 1-2 years. That is not due to mutation but instead a loss of immunity over time (memory loss for the defense system).
Does that indicate that vaccines would be difficult to maintain or that we'd need booster shots every year?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Does that indicate that vaccines would be difficult to maintain or that we'd need booster shots every year?
Yes, boosters may need to be given annually.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Wouldn’t constant re-exposure result in new antibodies? (I ask without a lick of knowledge)
It could. There is no evidence that infections generate immunity. It is educated conjecture at this time.

HVArcas

Reaction score
It could. There is no evidence that infections generate immunity. It is educated conjecture at this time.
Cannot be understated.

If I was in Georgia I would be bracing for round two.

HVArcas

Reaction score
Maybe. Too early to tell.
Well, one thing we know with reasonable certainty is that there would be fewer lives lost and sickened individuals if we had taken it more seriously, sooner. i know it is a balance, but boy does this feel like the wrong time to declare victory.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Let me say one optimistic thing: It's actually a little bit shocking that the country actually shut down with the degree of cooperation between federal and state level that we saw in reality.
This was an unprecedented circuit breaker effort that would have been hard to predict and it's wonderful that we did at least an initial flattening of the curve. Had we waited another week or two it would have been so much more horrific, everywhere.

Now we'll see where it goes from here state by state based on local choices about reopening or not.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Well, one thing we know with reasonable certainty is that there would be fewer lives lost and sickened individuals if we had taken it more seriously, sooner. i know it is a balance, but boy does this feel like the wrong time to declare victory.
That is true. It is unfortunate that we had to lock people in their homes to get them to social distance. Maybe next flu season, it will nto take such a drastic action.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is true. It is unfortunate that we had to lock people in their homes to get them to social distance. Maybe next flu season, it will nto take such a drastic action.
One would hope, but even now, with 67,000 dead, we have people denying the truth similar to holocaust deniers, flat earthers, and anti-vaxxers.

HVArcas

Reaction score
One would hope, but even now, with 67,000 dead, we have people denying the truth similar to holocaust deniers, flat earthers, and anti-vaxxers.
I like how you lump them all together :) they think they are sooooo different