general scratch (Screamer) build question about Jimz site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottluther1369

Reaction score
Newbie here. I've never done a scratch build but am excited about the prospect. I want to do a scratch build a Screamer and have bugging a poor guy (who will rename nameless). Needless to say he is really a great guy and been super patient answering my question and just being a great guy.

Anyway, I downloaded the plans from JimZ's site and the fin guide is HUGE for the rocket I want to guild. I printed it at 33 percent and it's more in the ball park. Is there a standard for printing these plans out? I've never scratch built before. I'm envious of Excelsior Rocketry upscale version of the Screamer! If you have not seen it you should check it out. He has done an awesome job!!!!

I found a great translation of body tubes but have no idea how to make the fins. the fins would be longer than the body tube. It didn't have all the balsa sizes BFS-20E, I'm assuming1/16 inch. Can someone help me here? What scale do I print from Jimz's site for fin guides and decals (not that I print decals)?
Thanks you!
--Scott
P.S. Could you please copy me at:
[email protected]

Where can I find translators for:
Body tubes (new/old estes) like:
BT-5p - how long is this?
Nose cones like:
BNC-5AX - What kind of shape is this?
Length of Shock cord:
SC-1A
Nose Code weight like:
NCW_4
Tape Disk like:
TD-1
Dummy engine case like:
EC-8
Streamer like:
SM1-A - how long
Engine block case like:
EC-8
Launch Lugs like:
LL-2a - how long?
If I could find a good reference chart I'd be in business.
Again, I appologize for asking such basic question and thank you for your time. It's been 35 years since I've been in the hobby and my whole family is having a great time! This was my first rocket and can't wait to have it again.
Thank you again my friends!
--Scott

Thank you so much for the info Sandman!
Those are just the links I'm looking for.

I am using Adobe PhotoShop for the downloads in tiff files. I appologize but I can't seem to find the measureing info on JimZ's site. Do you have a specific link? I'm feeling pretty stupid here.
Thanks you for your patience! I've spent hours there and I just must be missing it.
Thank you again!!!!!!
--Scott
P.S. Just finished my first Orbital Transport! The decals seemed a bit fragile though.

Usually what I do is try to scale the tube marking guide which is ..most of the time...on the same page as the fin pattern.

When that's right...the fins are right.

Thats what I did for the Screamer. I printed it at 33 percent and it seemed to come out right. I'm still not sure how much weight to put in the nose cone.
Thank you Sandman. I thank you for your help!!!! You're a good guy!
--Scott

I wouldn't worry about putting weight in the nose cone. The Screamer was one of my favorites and I cloned one using a BMS cone several years ago. I painted it bright orange, printed out and applied the decals and was very pleased with the overall outcome. When I finally got around to flying it, it was on a cold, grey day when our launch field was covered with a fresh layer of bright, white snow. Long story short, 5-4-3-2-1-SEE-YA! I looked for an hour for anything glowing orange against the snow, but all I got for my efforts was a soccer ball. (My kids were thrilled, but I hate soccer.) I've got the cone to clone another one, but I think I'd like to clean up the existing decal scan first. It's a little fuzzy.

Another view. (Contrary to what the pictures show, the sun does occasionally shine in the Greater Cincinnati area.)

Ok, here's mine - a BT5, BT20 and BT50 version. All waiting for decals.

Originally posted by scottluther1369
Thank you so much for the info Sandman!
Those are just the links I'm looking for.

I am using Adobe PhotoShop for the downloads in tiff files. I appologize but I can't seem to find the measureing info on JimZ's site. Do you have a specific link? I'm feeling pretty stupid here.
Thanks you for your patience! I've spent hours there and I just must be missing it.
Thank you again!!!!!!
--Scott
P.S. Just finished my first Orbital Transport! The decals seemed a bit fragile though.

I just opened the fin template for the Screamer in both photoshop and Illustrator. The template file was set at 300dpi - I'm betting yours automatically switched to either 72 dpi or more likely 100 dpi. I did a quick measurement in Illustrator and the dimensions are:

Root Edge - 1.54"
Leading Edge - 1.52"
Tip Edge - 1.17"
Trailing Edge - 1.32"

According to the Custom Parts Catalog, the BNC-5AX was a 2.14" long ogive. It won't be exact, but the PNC-5A (Quark nose) is a 2.1" Parabolic - It won't have the pointy tip, but might be a decent (and easy to come by) substitute. The BT-5P body tube was 5.1" long. The LL-2A was 1-1/4" long. The SM-1 streamer material was 1" wide orange crepe... How long is anyone's guess. I'd say 10 to 14 inches would be fine. Use and expended T (13mm) engine for the dummy engine case. If you don't have an engine block, you can always saw about a quarter inch off another T engine and use that. Shock cord should probably be about 8 to 10 inches long.

Don't forget that the decals are also printed at 300dpi. This means that the decal sheet should be 2.467" wide by 3.457" tall.

Hope this helps - I may try one of these too - looks like a fun little rocket - might even work on micromax engines - have to check it in Rocsim! :)

Greg

ooooh, I love the screamer. I only have two though...
one little one (a clone), and one BIG one. (BT-80). Here is a link to a pic of both rockets and my ugly mug:

https://tinyurl.com/4ox3n

Phred

You nailed it! I set my printing in photoshop to 300 dpi an it worked like a charm!!! Thank you! I'm on my way (for now). : ) Now I need to figure out the nose cone weight. Do you have that too (or total nose cone weight? Thank you so very much!
--Scott
P.S. You should check out the previous upscale Screamer! It rocks!!!

Back