General Mills is recalling 2, 5, and 10-pound bags of its Gold Medal FLOUR !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
General Mills is recalling 2, 5, and 10-pound bags of its Gold Medal Unbleached and Bleached All Purpose Flour due to the potential presence of salmonella.

https://www.newsready.com/fda-announces-urgent-recall

Flour is used in a lot of the foods Americans love. So, learning about the possible contamination of the pantry staple is disturbing. That’s exactly what happened recently, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced a recall.

On April 28, the FDA announced General Mills issued a recall on Gold Medal All Purpose Flour. Both the bleached and unbleached varieties are impacted. According to a press release, the two-, five-, and 10-pound bags are all part of the notice. They have “better if used by” dates of March 27, 2024, and March 28, 2024.

🚨Recall Alert: General Mills is recalling 2, 5, and 10-pound bags of its Gold Medal Unbleached and Bleached All Purpose Flour due to the potential presence of salmonella. Look for "better if used by" dates of March 27, 2024 and March 28, 2024
For more ➡ https://t.co/tsjtWvIZSJ pic.twitter.com/9o9PunYG4W

— Virginia Poison Center (@VAPoisonCenter) May 1, 2023

The recall was issued after Salmonella Infantis was possibly detected in a sample of a five-pound bag of the product. Days after it was announced, on March 1, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a statement attributing a Salmonella outbreak to the flour.

The outbreak has spread across 12 states, with at least 13 people who have fallen ill. Three of them have landed in the hospital. Fortunately, there are no reports of deaths.

Salmonella poisoning can cause fever, stomach cramps, or diarrhea. Symptoms generally begin between six hours to six days after the person is infected with the bacteria. Most people recover in about a week, but those with weakened immune systems, adults over the age of 65, and children under 5 are at risk of developing severe illness.

People who have diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F, dehydration, bloody stool, or diarrhea lasting more than three days should contact their doctors right away.

Those who find the flour in their pantry should dispose of it immediately. All surfaces that the contaminated flour might have touched should be sanitized. If the flour is in a container, it should be thrown away, and the container should be thoroughly washed with warm, soapy water.

Customers can reach General Mills Consumer Relations at 1-800-230-8103.

Nasty. How does salmonella get into flour? It seems like salmonella is generally associated with chicken and the meat or eggs of animals that can be infected with salmonella, not fruit, vegetables, or grains. It kind of implies the grain was contaminated with animal products as well as salmonella.

Nasty. How does salmonella get into flour? It seems like salmonella is generally associated with chicken and the meat or eggs of animals that can be infected with salmonella, not fruit, vegetables, or grains. It kind of implies the grain was contaminated with animal products as well as salmonella.
I had the same question . . . My thought process went down the path of intentional exposure, but I have seen no proof.

Dave F.

I have about 6 to 10 cups left from my last purchase. Out of that 10 lbs has come 4 batches of oatmeal scotches, an apple pie and two loaves of cheddar cheese bread. No one has gotten sick. I think I”ll go ahead and use the rest. Not too terribly worried about it.
Also, Hobbie is right…if you watched or knew how much of our food products are made, I think most folks would choose to go hungry.

I have about 6 to 10 cups left from my last purchase. Out of that 10 lbs has come 4 batches of oatmeal scotches, an apple pie and two loaves of cheddar cheese bread. No one has gotten sick. I think I”ll go ahead and use the rest. Not too terribly worried about it.
Also, Hobbie is right…if you watched or knew how much of our food products are made, I think most folks would choose to go hungry.
Working on Commercial Refrigeration for 20+ years I can take you in any 5 star restaurant and you won't eat there when I get done, and that's after the food has been delivered. Just like my friend who raised chickens. They delivered 51K every 9 months. 17K chicks in each of the 3 big coups he had. The 4 different kinds of feed they give them has their breast getting so big that he had to go around and pick them up after they had fallen forward because of the steroids. The last feed was to clean their system up to pass FDA tests. They told him to never touch the feed, but picking the thousands of chickens back up, he got cancer and died.

Back