Gemini DC....Quark

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
Just bought these two last night at hobby lobby.
I'm thinking of modfiying the DC a bit to make flight a bit lower and change the design slighty. Are there any mods or little bugs in the design that I should be careful of?
What about the quark? any wierd flight habits?

quarks tend to go rather far upward. at my camp we tied some streamers to the fins of ours to keep the altitude down...

For the Gemini DC, definitely reinforce the side tubes with 1/2 of a the yellow tubes Estes gives you to position your thrust ring, split longways. It makes the design much more durable.

I modified my Gemini DC to take a central 24mm motor with two 18mm outboards. I've flown it once so far on a C11 and two C6's. Very nice flight, rather high though, but I was only using a small mylar streamer for it so it came down pretty close. You can see from the pictures that I cut the two outboard tubes shorter than what they were originally, and I added a payload section with about a 1/2oz. of noseweight. Also I kept the same fin shape using the supplied balsa but I reduced the fins' size to increase performance.

yeah i thought of making it with 3 smaller engines...B size probably.
and nose weight.
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Originally posted by moocrew
Just bought these two last night at hobby lobby.
I'm thinking of modfiying the DC a bit to make flight a bit lower and change the design slighty. Are there any mods or little bugs in the design that I should be careful of?
What about the quark? any wierd flight habits?

I agree with what rabidsheeep said. Streamers on the fins are a great idea.

Also, I would paint it pretty bright (especially if you launch it without the streamers). I made a "UPS Quark" with colors matching the typical brown UPS trucks. But I lost it anyway, looked around for about 30 minutes after it supposedly came down but never found it. If you paint it bright and have a few spotters, you won't lose it. They're an easy replacement anyway (if you do lose it).

The streamers should keep it in sight though, and that would probably be enough.

"Rocket reviews" (emrr) has some very good stuff about heat shielding and porting for the DC Gemini...

yeah that bash rocks....im doing something like that next time

Back