Gemini Capsule Plastic Model Scale Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the old 1/100 Neubauer GT. I built it probably 17ish years ago but never launched it. Of course, this kit and company are long gone. It really doesn't look that bad, but it is a solid chunk of cast resin with an 18mm motor mount. I plan on doing mine with the Shapeways nosecone with a 13mm mount. I have a feeling it'll get plenty high enough with an A10.

What I do like, though, is Neubauer's clear fins option. I plan on doing this with my new GT. Any thoughts on a version of this clear fin style for even larger rockets?
IMG_4254.jpegIMG_4253.jpegIMG_4255.jpeg
The Neubauer capsule is 31mm wide and 2 or 3 mm taller than the Shapeways version.
IMG_4256.jpeg
IMG_4257.jpeg

Good point . . . What type of Primer / Paint needs to be used on that material ?

Dave F.
I've only ever printed one other 3D part and I painted it with Krylon. But this one is clear, so probably a different material. I plan on doing as little paint as possible so as to not lose too much detail. I will probably just use my white then mask it for the black. I hope there are others that have more experience with this kind of 3D print. I certainly don't want to screw this one up!

Markschnell, I like the clear fins. If I might trouble You, Good Sir, what are the dimensions of that cool looking fin unit, please????? Thanks!
I'll do you one better. I found the pattern with the bends and the part of the instructions that deal with that. The piece of plastic you'd use is 10" X .5".

Attachments

• GT Fin Unit from Neubauer.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Markschnell, I owe You one there! Thankee kindly, Sir!!!!! I'll use it on my flying larger scale MOL. Just out of curiosity, what is the thickness of the plastic. please?

The Base Diameter of a Gemini capsule is 120.00" . . .

1:24 = 5.000" diameter ( no currently available tubes, that I am aware of )

1:48 = 2.500" diameter ( BT-80 = 2.600" diameter / BT-80 Coupler = 2.550" diameter - 34" long, full-length is available from Balsa Machining Service )

1:72 = 1.666" diameter ( BT-60 = 1.637" / 38mm HPR tube = 1.65" - You can "peel" inside layers to lighten it ) . . . Use an "exterior wrap" to increase dia. )

Dave F.

View attachment 426555

I just noticed Estes still has 2.5" O.D. tubes for their now discontinued Pro Series II builder kits still for sale (3.99 each). Just right for that 1/48th scale job!

Hi Troops,
"DORIAN" is on the list for my Build list. I have a 1/48th scale cardstock Titan 3 kit that I will be using to make decals for the tubes. Thank You DeltaVee for the info on the tubes Where, if I may please ask, did You see this info as I'd like to order a couple for my MOL project. Does anyone know which body tubes would be best for the SRBs, please? Thanks, in advance.

Where, if I may please ask, did You see this info as I'd like to order a couple for my MOL project.
Here's the page from Estes for ordering the 2.5 tube. Yes, thanks @DeltaVee for the info. I just ordered two with the coupler. I also just ordered a 34" piece of T52H coupler stock from Balsa Machining Services to go with my 1/100 Gemini capsule. It cost $5 for that one tube but $12 to ship since it was so long. I asked and Bill at BMS if he could cut it in half and save me money on shipping. He agreed to do that and it cost me half that for shipping. The parts are starting to stack up. Love it!

Hi Troops,
"DORIAN" is on the list for my Build list. I have a 1/48th scale cardstock Titan 3 kit that I will be using to make decals for the tubes. Thank You DeltaVee for the info on the tubes Where, if I may please ask, did You see this info as I'd like to order a couple for my MOL project. Does anyone know which body tubes would be best for the SRBs, please? Thanks, in advance.

Here are a few items . . . I, of course, have full-size files for all images.

Dave F.

vehicle configuration.jpg

182174main_PL66C-76756.jpg

182172main_PL66C-76206.jpg

182173main_PL66C-76585.jpg

TitanIII_1big.jpg

Titan-IIIL-1.gif

Ez2cDave, Thank You!!!!! That will help for A lot of things. I'll have to print them out do go into my "Bucket Build". Can't "talk" right now, Folks, so I'll close 4 now. Cheerss!

By the way, Friends, I was ratting around in my storage room and found something that I had forgotten I had: It is a reprint from somewhere on line . From Model Rocketry: The Escape Tower column by Bob Parks called "USAF Manned Orbiting laboratory Semi-scale Titan 3-M"The drawing is dated 7/12/1970 by R. Singer. It tells the reader HOW to use detachable, working SRBs! It is amazing! I'm still learning the ins and outs of my new computer so I can't post the article right now so if any of our fellow readers have a copy to share, I respectfully ask that they do.

Cheers

By the way, Friends, I was ratting around in my storage room and found something that I had forgotten I had: It is a reprint from somewhere on line . From Model Rocketry: The Escape Tower column by Bob Parks called "USAF Manned Orbiting laboratory Semi-scale Titan 3-M"The drawing is dated 7/12/1970 by R. Singer. It tells the reader HOW to use detachable, working SRBs! It is amazing! I'm still learning the ins and outs of my new computer so I can't post the article right now so if any of our fellow readers have a copy to share, I respectfully ask that they do.

Cheers

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v02n11_08-70.pdf

Dave F.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen This yet? Can't remember if anyone mentioned it yet. That's the same people who did the Gemini capsule I bought and posted pics of earlier in this thread. This pricey, though. Ouch!
Here's what the product description says, "For use with the MPC Titan IIIC kit to convert it to the Gemini MOL launch vehicle. This is a redesigned capsule from our previous Gemini Capsules to more accurately reflect the MOL service module. The MOL itself can be completed with the nose cone engine parts from the MPC kit. Decals are in the works."

Last edited:
Has anyone seen This yet? Can't remember if anyone mentioned it yet. That's the same people who did the Gemini capsule I bought and posted pics of earlier in this thread. This pricey, though. Ouch!
Here's what the product description says, "For use with the MPC Titan IIIC kit to convert it to the Gemini MOL launch vehicle. This is a redesigned capsule from our previous Gemini Capsules to more accurately reflect the MOL service module. The MOL itself can be completed with the nose cone engine parts from the MPC kit. Decals are in the works."

Mark,

You have a "PM" ( Private Message )

Dave F.

I need some info on the length of the Titan booster for the Gemini Titan. I can find the length of the booster but I don't know if the length includes the engines at the bottom. What would be the length of what we'd use for the body tube without the capsule and adapter module? I can do the scaling from there.

You probably know this one by heart @Ez2cDave.

Hi Markschnell. If You look on the previous page of this thread, there is a b/w printing of the GT booster. at the bottom of the "1st" page, there is a 6' gauge and it will help You get the measurements of the height w/o the rocket bells. Hope this helps.

Well, if you assume that "G.I. Joe" represents a 6ft ( 72" ) tall man, 12" makes him 1/6 Scale.

So, You will need a Gemini Capsule with a Base Diameter of 20", with an Overall Length of 37.65" . . .

Ohhhh Cooooool ...

Parents got brother and I the G. I. Joes with the Mercury-ish capsule and the little records of I don't remember what RPM.
We had more fun with those guys and the capsules. :)
Parents still have them.

Ya know, I can imagine the 20 inch Gemini with spring loaded ejection seats ...

@Vitruvius Thanks, after looking through my old stuff I discovered I had the Space in Miniature #2 book that came from. I noticed the scale of the drawings are 1:96. I also discovered that the Neubauer GT was almost an exact copy of these graphics, so that kit was 1:96. The Shapeways capsule I bought and showed in this thread is an actual 1:100 scale.

Anyway, at 1:96 the Titan body tube length is 9.75", or close enough for my purposes. At 1:100 scale the body tube needs to be 9.36", or in my world of pretty close but not rocket science level - a hair under 9.375 or 9 and 3/8."

Latest posts

Back