Gemini Capsule Plastic Model Scale Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on vacation and can't get to my plastic models to check on sizes and can't find any details online. I was wondering if any of the Gemini plastic models, 1/24, 1/48, and 1/72 (I have all three) correspond to any of the commonly available body tubes. Rather than buy a capsule from Shapeways or Boyce Aerospace I thought I might try and adapt one of those plastic model versions for the nose cone. I'm thinking sport scale, not planning on entering them into a competition, just to look good to me.

The Base Diameter of a Gemini capsule is 120.00" . . .

1:24 = 5.000" diameter ( no currently available tubes, that I am aware of )

1:48 = 2.500" diameter ( BT-80 = 2.600" diameter / BT-80 Coupler = 2.550" diameter - 34" long, full-length is available from Balsa Machining Service )

1:72 = 1.666" diameter ( BT-60 = 1.637" / 38mm HPR tube = 1.65" - You can "peel" inside layers to lighten it ) . . . Use an "exterior wrap" to increase dia. )

Dave F.

Model-133P-Gemini-1---RDowney4.jpg

I'm on vacation and can't get to my plastic models to check on sizes and can't find any details online. I was wondering if any of the Gemini plastic models, 1/24, 1/48, and 1/72 (I have all three) correspond to any of the commonly available body tubes. Rather than buy a capsule from Shapeways or Boyce Aerospace I thought I might try and adapt one of those plastic model versions for the nose cone. I'm thinking sport scale, not planning on entering them into a competition, just to look good to me.

If you need Scale Data, I can "hook you up" . . . Send me a PM, if interested !

Dave F.

GEMINI CAPSULE.jpg

CP22_3_001.jpg

CP22_3_002.jpg

GPN-2000-001015-MED - CROP.jpg

Thanks a bunch @Ez2cDave! That's exactly what I needed. I've been a Gemini nut since I was a kid from Southern Indiana. In the mid 80's we'd go to Springmill State Park to the Grissom memorial there. They have Gus's Gemini capsule. I haven't been in a while but they have it in a case now. Back then they had a platform with steps on both sides of the capsule. You could actually reach in and flip the switches. Can you believe that?! I flipped the actual switches of Grissom and Young's capsule, the Unsinkable Molly Brown. I had no understanding of how special that was back then. The rear end of the capsule was right there too. You could reach out and touch the ablative material. I remember specks of it being on the floor. I'll bet somebody with knowhow of historical artifacts saw how it was being treated and had a fit, hence the full case now.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch @Ez2cDave! That's exactly what I needed. I've been a Gemini nut since I was a kid from Southern Indiana. In the mid 80's we'd go to Springmill State Park to the Grissom memorial there. They have Gus's Gemini capsule. I haven't been in a while but they have it in a case now. Back then they had a platform with steps on both sides of the capsule. You could actually reach in and flip the switches. Can you believe that?! I flipped the actual switches of Grissom and Young's capsule, the Unsinkable Molly Brown. I had no understanding of how special that was back then. The rear end of the capsule was right there too. You could reach out and touch the ablative material. I remember specks of it being on the floor. I'll be somebody with know how of historical artifacts saw how it was being treated and had a fit, hence the full case now.

Mark,

If you need more data, just drop me an email . . . ENJOY !

[email protected]

Dave F.

I built and flew a 1/24 scale Gemini-Titan model using the Revell plastic Gemini capsule. The model used a 5" diameter clear plastic tube from US Plastics Corp. A brief summary can be found on Rocket Reviews:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/scratch-gemini-titan-5in-by-bob-morstadt.html
I got the idea from Andy Waddell's article in the May/June 2001 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine. I later published my construction build in the May/June 2012 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine.

I built and flew a 1/24 scale Gemini-Titan model using the Revell plastic Gemini capsule. The model used a 5" diameter clear plastic tube from US Plastics Corp. A brief summary can be found on Rocket Reviews:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/scratch-gemini-titan-5in-by-bob-morstadt.html
I got the idea from Andy Waddell's article in the May/June 2001 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine. I later published my construction build in the May/June 2012 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine.

Wow . . . Nice model !

I was surprised to see the weight of 9 1/2 pounds, empty . . . Was it a thick-walled tube ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Wow . . . Nice model !

I was surprised to see the weight of 9 1/2 pounds, empty . . . Was it a thick-walled tube ?

Dave F.

The plastic tube was 1/8" thick and the fins were 3/16" thick, so with all the internal construction the weight really added up. The first flight was with two Aerotech 29 mm H268R motors, so the model took off like a sky rocket, which was really too fast and too high. The second flight was with two CTI H170 motors and is described in the 2012 Sport Rocketry article. The pyrogen pellet in the CTI motors made a cluster flight very easy with no special prep.

The plastic tube was 1/8" thick and the fins were 3/16" thick, so with all the internal construction the weight really added up. The first flight was with two Aerotech 29 mm H268R motors, so the model took off like a sky rocket, which was really too fast and too high. The second flight was with two CTI H170 motors and is described in the 2012 Sport Rocketry article. The pyrogen pellet in the CTI motors made a cluster flight very easy with no special prep.

Is there any video of the flights ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Hi Ez2cDave. I was in the motions of looking up the dimensions of the Gemini because my Grandson wants a Gemini scaled to his 12" G.I. Joes after I sewed him up "replica" G4C spacesuits to go with the Cotswold Collectables Replica "Mercury" helmets. You are a lifesaver,! He's interested in having it so he can run "Blue Gemini" missions with His friends. His Mom ( my Daughter), told us that I would have to make sure it could be hung from the ceiling to keep out of the way. You'd have thought She had given Him the keys to Fort Knox!!!!! He had been hoping for that!!!!! I guess that's what You get for being handy. Like Red Green always said,"If the women don't find You handsome, they should always find You handy!" Thanks again and Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, if you assume that "G.I. Joe" represents a 6ft ( 72" ) tall man, 12" makes him 1/6 Scale.

So, You will need a Gemini Capsule with a Base Diameter of 20", with an Overall Length of 37.65" . . .

That, unless I am mistaken, would have to be 100% scratch-built !

Unless you want a REALLY BIG project, hope that he doesn't find out about the GEMINI MOL ( "Manned Orbiting Laboratory" ) . . . ! ! !

( Yes, I have a ton of data on that project ) - LOL !

Dave

31448189387_9f46904cd1_b.jpg

Too late, Dave, He KNOWS!!!!!! BTW, Folks, Stan Weston and Dan Levine (creators of Joe) said that the 12" Joe was modeled on an average size guy of the time which was 5'9" tall, so Joe isn't 6'. Since I am a stickler for correct scale, I will be working on that, admittedly, minor correction. Thank You Dave for Your help. It is MORE appreciated than You could EVER know. Cheers!

I just looked at that article, Aerostadt, and WOW!!!!!!! It's a darn good thing I'm not doing a flying model of Gemini!!! It DOES look like a cool project, but with an accurate Mercury capsule. I'm already working on a true-to-scale one for Lady J's Mercury astronaut...the 1990's version. Folks, if You haven't seen this one, Look it over! HIGHLY recommended!!!!!!

Thanks Aerostadt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is Lady J's Mercury astronaut? I couldn't find anything on Google.
Hi Mark. Lady J is my Wife/BFF. Her Mercury Astronaut is the 1998 release/remake of the Hasbro G.I.Joe. She had always wanted one, but Her Stepmother refused to get Her one and gave Her a Barbie Doll, non astronaut, instead, SOOOO when the 1998 (or so) release came out, I got Her one. When I surprised Her with it, You'd have thought I had given Her the Crown Jewels of England!!!!! After thanking me profusely and giving me lots of x's and O's, She took it out of the box, checked out all the neat stuff it came with, put it back in the box and said, "Honey, would You please build me an accurate to the Joe size Mercury capsule, Pretty Please?????" I said "Sure!!!!!!" I'm finally getting it started. I'll keep You folks up to date as I get it done. Thanks for asking, Mark. Cheers!

Last edited:
@Vitruvius That is so cool! My wife did something like that for me 26 years ago when she bought me an Estes Saturn V out of the blue. We were newlyweds and really couldn’t afford it but it was a special moment. Now, I just need to launch it! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ez2C Dave, MyWife/BFF pulled a nice
one on me: She ordered the 1/100 scale MPC Titan 3 Model kit for me since She knew that I had had it as a Younger man and flew it. She knows I'm interested in the MOL. Since the kit really doesn't come any more with most of the flying parts, I'm wondering if anyone here has a set of the original kit instructions as I'd like to build a flying version of the MOL using the kit and would like to see what I need to build. Thanks in advance!

one on me: She ordered the 1/100 scale MPC Titan 3 Model kit for me since She knew that I had had it as a Younger man and flew it. She knows I'm interested in the MOL. Since the kit really doesn't come any more with most of the flying parts, I'm wondering if anyone here has a set of the original kit instructions as I'd like to build a flying version of the MOL using the kit and would like to see what I need to build. Thanks in advance!

I don't have the TITAN directions, but I have a TON of MOL data.

Dave F.

The MOL was to be lifted into orbit by the Titan III, which has the large strap-on solid rocket boosters. Years ago, I bought the Estes Titan IIIC and converted it to the Dynasoar version. It looks like ebay is offering an (old) MPC Titan III version now, which to me looks like it might be an MOL carrying version.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1624856532
I won't vouch for this kit. A google search for Titan IIIC shows many returns.

If you need a body tube, the 29mm tube ( T52H ) from BMS is almost a perfect 1/100 scale.

T52H-341.210x1.140x.035x34 29mm Motor Mount size

https://www.balsamachining.com

Dave F.

The MOL was to be lifted into orbit by the Titan III, which has the large strap-on solid rocket boosters. Years ago, I bought the Estes Titan IIIC and converted it to the Dynasoar version. It looks like ebay is offering an (old) MPC Titan III version now, which to me looks like it might be an MOL carrying version.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1624856532
I won't vouch for this kit. A google search for Titan IIIC shows many returns.
That is the new one Aerostadt.

If you need a body tube, the 29mm tube ( T52H ) from BMS is almost a perfect 1/100 scale.

T52H-341.210x1.140x.035x34 29mm Motor Mount size

https://www.balsamachining.com

Dave F.
Thanks, Dave, BTW, Friends, I did find an old thread on Ye Olde Rocketry that has not only the original instruction sheet, but a photo, with ruler of the shape, and size of the clear fins. OOPS, Gotta Run. Companys here.

This thread has taken a new life and I love it. Looks like we've got quite a few Gemini freaks here!

I just bought this from Shapeways. It's 1/100 scale and it's right on the money. It's 1.2 inches wide at the base, or 29mm exactly. It might look fragile but it's surprisingly solid. I'm not really wild about the seam that goes around the capsule, but other than that it is very impressive. I paid way too much for it, $34.99 for "smoothest, finest detail." It would have cost $23.99 for "smooth, fine detail" but I wanted it to be as smooth as possible. It has NONE of the regular print lines on it that most 3D printed stuff does. I'm going to mount it on a 29mm body tube and use a removable fin system that Neubauer Rockets used on their 1/100 GT. Their capsule was the right shape but had absolutely no detail at all. It was just smooth cast resin. Anyways, thought some of you might be interested in completing a whole manned spacecraft set in 1/100. I couldn't wait any longer for Boyce Aerospace to get around to doing a 1/100 GT.
IMG_4252.jpegIMG_4251.jpegIMG_4250.jpeg

This thread has taken a new life and I love it. Looks like we've got quite a few Gemini freaks here!

I just bought this from Shapeways. It's 1/100 scale and it's right on the money. It's 1.2 inches wide at the base, or 29mm exactly. It might look fragile but it's surprisingly solid. I'm not really wild about the seam that goes around the capsule, but other than that it is very impressive. I paid way too much for it, $34.99 for "smoothest, finest detail." It would have cost $23.99 for "smooth, fine detail" but I wanted it to be as smooth as possible. It has NONE of the regular print lines on it that most 3D printed stuff does. I'm going to mount it on a 29mm body tube and use a removable fin system that Neubauer Rockets used on their 1/100 GT. Their capsule was the right shape but had absolutely no detail at all. It was just smooth cast resin. Anyways, thought some of you might be interested in completing a whole manned spacecraft set in 1/100. I couldn't wait any longer for Boyce Aerospace to get around to doing a 1/100 GT.
View attachment 427023View attachment 427024View attachment 427025
WOW!!!!!!!! That is a NICE print! I look forward to seeing how You paint it.

Latest posts

Back