GeeMan G impulse Tripoli Handicap record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, if I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize. That was certainly not my intent. I believe there should be records, not records with qualifications. Not just in rocketry, in everything. When I grew up, you got a trophy for winning, not just showing up at the field. I often will emphasize the point I am trying to make by being ridiculous - and here it is; I would like a "G" class record for men of Hungarian descent, rocket built while drinking & Unpainted. I would hold that record.

And it would be completely meaningless.

"....It would be extremely exclusive to just have "record height per Impulse".

EXACTLY! Not a fan of participation trophies

You obviously don't get it.

It's not "just" a participation trophy if you reach the highest altitude with certain constraints. It makes you the record holder for that configuration

Not everyone that tries gets a trophy.
Maybe you should look into what it takes to get one instead of being a snob

You obviously don't get it.

It's not "just" a participation trophy if you reach the highest altitude with certain constraints. It makes you the record holder for that configuration

Not everyone that tries gets a trophy.
Maybe you should look into what it takes to get one instead of being a snob

I apologize for offending you. If you make enough categories, everyone can hold a record, don't you see that? And then the record means.....nothing.

And, for future reference, I can be a jerk sometimes (sorry) but I am not a snob. If you make enough catagories, everyone can be a winner. Which is stupid. Holding a record SHOULD be exclusive, hard to achieve. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
... Holding a record SHOULD be exclusive, hard to achieve. What am I missing here?

You're missing the whole intent of the handicap classes.
Please re-read post #29. Maybe comprehension isn't your strong suit.

I challenge you to Sim one that'll beat the TRA "G" class handicap record ( 2.50" diameter for 24") which is now likely to be 3,300+ feet.
Congrats to Steve on that.

Then I challenge you to build that rocket per the Sim.
Not just a make-believe unrealistic Sim rocket. I mean a real, buildable, hold together when the motor pushes up in real life type rocket.
Then I challenge you to fly it and recover successfully.
You'll find that yes indeed, you are being a snob.
You're downgrading everyone who has attempted it, wants to attempt it,, and everyone who has been successful.

It is extremely difficult. It's hard to achieve. Not everyone can even come close.
Much more difficult than buying a pre-built kit, and slapping in the biggest off-the-shelf motor, whoosh-bang.... "YAY, look what money can buy me"..
I see no challenge in that.

I'm offended that you're continually comparing it to a participation trophy

Notice I have not insulted you once, please? And that I have apologized for any thinking that I was doing so?

That said, I want to participate in the right handed hungarian-origin male drinking class of "G" please.

you're totally off-base.
Show me where that class is listed?

If we used your scenario, it would be like saying NHRA should recognize Top Fuel dragsters as the only record holders.
The sport would die.

I really think that's the biggest part you're missing

If you make a record dividable by 7000 conditions/classifications/catagories, the record becomes meaningless. That is my point. I am done.

Also this is simply a booster design of mine to test electronics. It SIMs to 3800 on a G

Attachments

• Electronics Booster.ork
    127.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8871.JPG
    IMG_8871.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It seems like about a million years ago, when TRA started keeping altitude records. And I remember when they did because I was one of those early participants setting then breaking, then breaking again the very first Large Diameter J-class record, I was wondering where those early records are kept? Anybody know?

BTW - I just looked up the different current categories. There are six different categories and each one of them is very different from the others. There is nothing in the six categories that would suggest there is anything about them that would equate with a participation trophy. The categories are:
Single motor
Clusters
Staged
Research
Handicapped (though I will admit that I like the idea of the name "Minimum Large Diameter" better...... and
Hybrid

I cannot for the life of me think why anybody would think that just because there are 6 different categories of records that setting one is only getting a participation trophy.....(btw.....where's my trophy?) And yes, there are roughly 10 different motor classes for each category. But again, what are your reasons for equating any of this as participation trophies?

I coached AYSO soccer for some number of years. So I really do know from the inside what the whole participation trophy thing was all about. And unlike some of my fellow coaches, I actually followed the rules. Every boy on every one of my teams over the years, got to play as close to the same number of quarters in every game as it was possible for them to play. And when it wasn't possible to get even playing time during one game, then in the next game, the boys who didn't get extra quarters, made up for lost quarters. And I rotated the boys thru the basic positions every game. That's how AYSO was designed and run.....20 years ago.....mostly. Yes, there were some coaches who were recruiting for "traveling teams" who played their best players for the whole game every game in their favorite positions, and some kids only got to play one quarter per game which was against the rules. The idea of following the rules was so that every youth got the opportunity to get game time which is where the lessons learned in practice get cemented into their skill sets as worth having. I loved handing out the most improved trophies every year for goalie, defense, tossers, mid-fielders, and forwards, because my kids learned constantly and got better as every year progressed. And they were middle school kids, 5th thru 8th graders. And yes, I know exactly the ridiculous nature of participation trophies. But every one of my kids earned the one trophy they got each year. I kept meticulous records of every game just to make sure. But that was a kid's game for kids to very intentionally teach them the whole game of soccer, not just how to win. For little kids, even participation trophies have their place.

This hobby of ours is incredibly complex and this complexity is reflected in the six categories of records. There are huge differences between Single motor records and cluster flights, just as there are huge differences between clusters and staging. The same goes for all six categories. So having six different categories of altitude records makes sense. And the fact that there are roughly 10 motor size classes for each category recognizes the vast differences in motor sizes that are flown in this wonderful hobby of ours.

Let's see, six different record categories covering ten motor sizes is only sixty records total which is a far cry from 7000 of anything by less than a factor of 100. So please, let's not hear anymore about our TRA Records having anything to do with participation trophies. That is a categorical falsehood that gets my goat. Oh great, now I have a lost goat? No goat. No trophy. Man, I am really out of luck today. And I've eaten goat. A stronger gamier taste than mutton but still quite good. Grilling and a good BBQ sauce helps. Ah...give me that good old Sweet Baby Rays!

Brad

Last edited:
I apologize to anyone I may have offended by my less than tactful wording.

I simply believe that having too many categories (in any competition) dilutes the achievements of all.

This thread was hijacked by someone who wants fewer classes.
In other threads more classes are being proposed. Separate classes for black powder and sugar motors.
Cannot make everyone happy.

Also this is simply a booster design of mine to test electronics. It SIMs to 3800 on a G

Comprehension skills once again in full display.
You missed the part about body diameter has to be a minimum of 2.50" and length of 2.50" body diameter to be 24" minimum length.
That Sim to 3800 you presented is worthless in this discussion. Plus, without a chute, RSO wouldn't let you launch.

Last edited:
This might be a good area for our field to promote. Thanks for sharing.

Back