Geek Alert (countdown to 5/19/2005)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Fishhead
Sequels are rarely as good as the originals, and if I'm not mistaken,
A good rule of thumb; but just to be a pedant: Star Treks IV VI and VIII are streets ahead of the first Star Trek film. However, there WAS Star Trek V :eek:

Good point Chilly, Empire is the best, and it is a sequal.

Originally posted by cydermaster
A good rule of thumb; but just to be a pedant: Star Treks IV VI and VIII are streets ahead of the first Star Trek film. However, there WAS Star Trek V :eek:
Don't forget II, "The Wrath Of Khan". For a long time it was the undisputed best ST movie. Nowadays it looks a little dated, but still good.

There can be *NO* denying that "Wrath of Khan" is the absolute best Trek movie. "First Contact" was a close second, even though it was a TNG movie.

I think "Final Fantasy" is a great Sci-Fi movie. The plot does fall apart at the end but the graphics are amazing!!!

I find it hard to find good sci-fi movies nowadays. They seem too similiar.

I'm finding the animated movies to be more interesting. Something about them. You know everything is fake and the CGI isn't trying to be hidden.

I do think though that Hitchikers guide is the greatest sci-fi ever!!!

p.s. Here's a plot "spoiler" that will blow your mind -, don't read on unless you want to know who's the REAL "dark sith lord" who is secretly scheming to control the empire. (highlight the following text, which is hidden as white text:) )<font color="white"><br></font> [/B]

Hmmm.. Kinda reminiscient of the "mule" in Asimov's Foundation series...Hmm...

Kinda reminiscient of the "mule" in Asimov's Foundation series..

Great novels. The Robot series was great too - especially the endings of the 2 - wow!

Now, I don't know about the spoiler above about the dark sith lord?! I don't beleive it!

Pat
(who has not seen "I, Robot" yet!)

First things first, let's se the record straight: Lord Of The Rings will go down as the greatest movie "trilogy" of all time. That said, it's NOT a trilogy! They are meant to be enjoyed as a single, unified event. I paid $35 or $40 to see all 3 movies consecutively the day before the (stand alone) release of LOTR:ROTK. Simply mindblowing to see all 3 movies back-to-back-to-back on the BIG screen :D :D It'll probably never happen again. (And I'm anxiously awaiting the Special Edition release of LOTR:ROTK on DVD!)

I couldn't give a flip about Star Wars. I was so $&#* insulted by the celluloid turd referred to as Episode II (and Episode I really wasn't any better), that I refuse to watch any of the Star Wars films ever again. Lucas, while laughing all the way to the bank, has never cared for what *anyone* has ever said about the SW universe. And he always chose to do it his way. And who has lost? The audience. Peter Jackson at least had the courage to embrace the fans and ask for guidance. Did he succeed? Largely, yes. (I am still rather disapopointed that the sacking of the Shire was never filmed but I'll save that rant for another day.) The theatrical releases of LOTR were meant for the general public. The special edition DVDs are for the hardcore fans because they are a smaller group willing to sit through 4+ hours per film. Lucas has recklessly deformed the SW universe into a world full of contradictions in way that they can *never* be repaired in Episode III. Lucas, give your ideas to someone who is actually capable of making a good movie. Or just stop. Please.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest...

Originally posted by Chilly
There can be *NO* denying that "Wrath of Khan" is the absolute best Trek movie. "First Contact" was a close second, even though it was a TNG movie.

I'll second that, Chilly. Just don't anyone get me started on my rant as to why ST IV was the WORST Trek movie made...

I saw the trailer for the new SW film, yesterday, on my Bro-in-law's PC.

Looks cool! Wookiee Frenzy! :evilgrin:

Could I just point out (for the benefit of Cyder & Hokky, at least) that if it wasn't for the "luvvie duvvie" stuff between Anakin and Padme Amidala, there would have been no Luke or Leia.

Or do I have to explain THAT to you as well?!? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Miss Riley
Could I just point out (for the benefit of Cyder & Hokky, at least) that if it wasn't for the "luvvie duvvie" stuff between Anakin and Padme Amidala, there would have been no Luke or Leia.

Or do I have to explain THAT to you as well?!? :rolleyes:

Ahhh romantic as ever, but I don't recall any biology lessons in the first 5 films so no one can speculate on whether 'Luvvie duvvie-ing' is a prerequisite for procreation in galaxies far away.
:eek:

Originally posted by cydermaster
Bring it on! :D

You betcha. I been practicing my Wookie. It's way easier than Klingon. But it scares the cats.

PS: Any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars.

Originally posted by lalligood
...(And I'm anxiously awaiting the Special Edition release of LOTR:ROTK on DVD!)...

It's funny you brought this up, i just changed the disk to the second disk, went to the corral to talk to a man about a horse, and to the kitchen to grab munchies for the conclusion.

If you want to order it go to LOTR shop at NewLine Cinema

Originally posted by Chilly
Episode I stank on ice.
Episode II would've been much better without all the courtship stuff. Otherwise it was pretty decent.

Im with you on that. I didnt like Episode I, but I accualy saw II 2 times...

Latest posts

Back