Geek Alert (countdown to 5/19/2005)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Okay, let's get it started:

Did anyone else see the "Revenge of the Sith" trailer on Access Hollywood last night? This has the potential to be the king-daddy whup-@$$ Star Wars movie of all time.

Talk amongst yourselves...:D

They said that about Episode #1.

Then they said, "no, wait - #2 will be the greatest Star Wars movie of them all - this time we really mean it!".

Sorry to sound cynical. The original movies were great, but it's long past time that George Lucas retired.

I agree, the origional films were better. Is this the last one they are making?

I didnt really like 1 and 2 all that much... Dunno why.

Despite the criticisms of the new series of movies, I'll be happy to lay down $8 bucks to see the new one. Jar-Jar or no Jar-Jar ;)

Episode I stank on ice.
Episode II would've been much better without all the courtship stuff. Otherwise it was pretty decent.

Episode III, however, has all of the background story elements coming together for a pretty dramatic climax. Like I said, it has the *potential* to be very, very good, like "Empire Strikes Back" good. Hopefully Lucas will redeem himself. Maybe we'll get lucky and Jar-Jar will die a gruesome death (hey, my friends and I cheered when the Ewok got killed in "Return of the Jedi").

Originally posted by Chilly
Episode I stank on ice.
Episode II would've been much better without all the courtship stuff. Otherwise it was pretty decent.
With you on those views, Chilly.

I had been looking forward to Ep #1 for years, and I felt let down. :( Mostly over two things: Jar Jar 'bloody' Binks, and Midichlorians. Basically Lucas had made it too Disney/Star Trek.

I wasn't bothered about Ep #2, when it came out; but my mates were going to see it, so I tagged along, and was highly impressed. With the exception of the boring 'love bit' - no place in the Star Wars universe for that sort of thing! IMHO ;)

I'll be going to see Ep #3 - I just hope Lucas has learn't his lessons!

I liked them all!!! The original 3 are classics! Episode 1 and 2 I felt were also great episodes, but then I like anything Science Fiction. Anni's acting was poor in EP 2 , but I liked the story and it was worth going just to see Amadala...gawd, they never made em like that when I was a kid! Obi Wan stoll the show in EP2 until Yoda kicked butt at then end...that little buzz saw had everyone talking!!!

Carl

Maybe we'll get lucky and Jar-Jar will die a gruesome death (hey, my friends and I cheered when the Ewok got killed in "Return of the Jedi").
You too?!

When George Lucas re-made the original 3 films, I was hoping he'd change the outcome so the empire would win.:D

In episode 2, I thought Annikin was going to start throwing a temper tantrum at any moment. Hard to see a future "Darth Vader" in him there.

p.s. Here's a plot "spoiler" that will blow your mind -, don't read on unless you want to know who's the REAL "dark sith lord" who is secretly scheming to control the empire. (highlight the following text, which is hidden as white text:) )<font color="white"><br>In actuality, Palpatine is really merely a puppet for the TRUE sith lord, the most evil, dark sith of them all. His innocuous outward appearance belies the fact that The Force is undeniably strong with him, and gives him the perfect cover to infiltrate and betray the Jedi who are working against the Dark Side, completely oblivious and unsuspecting to his existence. The identity of that individual is... Jar-Jar Binks!</font>

I watched this with my oldest son for the first time recently and I was literally laughing out loud when the big romance scene took place because it was so pitiful. Those two couldn't have acted their way out of a cardboard box.

Someone kind soul must have upgraded to the DVD's because I brought home the 3 original VHS tapes from the thrift shop for $7.50 the other day. :)

Originally posted by vjp
In episode 2, I thought Annikin was going to start throwing a temper tantrum at any moment. Hard to see a future "Darth Vader" in him there.
But I thought that was the point of The Dark Side - loosing your temper, giving in to anger & that? Wasn't the Emporer trying to get Luke to loose his temper in ROTJ?

Chilly: Me and my mates cheer when Ewoks get killed! :evilgrin: Why Lucas couldn't of had the Endor moon populated with REAL Wookies (as opposed to fun-size ones) is beyond me - that would have ruled!

I could swear he said in an interview that was what they'd orginally intended. Hint: what do you think "ewok" is an anagram for?

I agree....although the trailer looked absolutely awesome, the new movies (so far) just don't compare with the classic trilogy. No memorable lines in my opinion. Hopefully Lucas will get it together for this last one.

-Kitch

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy planets is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

As I understand it, the idea was indeed to use Wookiees for the final battle. But the point was to have the mighty Empire defeated by a bunch of primitives. Once Chewbacca had been seen to be competent with a starship, Wookiees weren't primitive enough, hence the Mk 2 Wookiee - the Ewok.

What I found interesting in Episodes 1 and 2 was the rise of Palpatine and the birth of the Empire. I'd read about it in background material before; now it was actually happening in detail, on film. Also interesting: the good guys in Episodes 1 and 2 (the Republic) are the villains in Episodes 4 - 6 (the Empire). The villains in Episode 2 (the rebels) are the good guys in Episodes 4 - 6 (the Rebel Alliance). And look which side originally invented the Death Star...

I liked both Episodes 1 and 2, although both were marred by excessive cuteness - Jar-Jar and little Anakin in Episode 1, the soppy romance in Episode 2. Expect Episode 3 to be similar - mostly good but with something horribly fluffy. (Incidentally, if people kept calling you "Annie" when you were a kid, you'd probably turn Dark Side too. :) )

Maybe I'm a victim of lowered expectations, but I didn't find the prequels so awful - Rerun of the Jedi was hands down the worst of the lot; Empire the best. The "original" - Episode IV - sort of stands outside the whole thing; despite what Lucas says, I think it was a stand-alone story. Only after its surprisingly phenonenal success did the whole history get worked out. IMHO.

Also, Lucas has made no bones that these films are aimed at kids; that's why we got Ewoks instead of Wookies, Luke turning Dad to the good side instead of vice-versa, and C3PO's head welded to a battledroid.

BTW, are there any Jim Rome fans out there? Did you catch his "interview" with the Dark Lord himself?...

https://www.jimrome.com/archives/11032004/article/article.html

I nearly wet myself...

I think 1 and 2 stand up well on their own compared to the original trilogy. We tend to look at episodes 4, 5, and 6 through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. The first time I looked back at the original trilogy, I was stunned that Harrison Ford developed a real movie career after that and was not surpised in the least that Mark Hammill did not. So, while Anni was horrible in EP2, it's nothing new to the Star Wars universe.

Lucas himself said that the entire series of flicks were always meant to be nothing more than matinee fluff--and all 5 episodes to date succeed greatly on that level.

It is clear that the first (original) Star Wars was revolutionary and stood out at the time, no matter what anyone thinks about the story, acting, etc.

Originally posted by adrian
As I understand it, the idea was indeed to use Wookiees for the final battle. But the point was to have the mighty Empire defeated by a bunch of primitives. Once Chewbacca had been seen to be competent with a starship, Wookiees weren't primitive enough, hence the Mk 2 Wookiee - the Ewok.

Pretty close. The original idea, for the original Star Wars movie, was to have a ground battle (between low-tech Wookiees and hight-tech Stormtroopers) going on at the same time as the starship battle over the Death Star. But, the budget was too tight, and Lucas couldn't afford several dozen Wookiee suits.

When RotJ came about, Lucas had the budget to do that battle. But, as adrian points out, by then, Lucas had established Chewie as technologically competent (and, by association, it was implied that Wookiees weren't low-tech). So, the Ewok is sort of an inverted Wookiee (short vs. tall, fuzzy vs. hairy, cute vs. fearsome).

Just wait. Episode III will include *lots* of Wookiees, and a battle between Wookiees and the Trade Federation on the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk.

Did Lucas really have anything to do with the 1st two? They were nothing like the original 3. A agree with everyone, too much cute, characters were too polished and had no personality (they even made Yoda boring) chase scenes too long, too much CG, followed by minutes of silent boredom. Sounds like a Rick Berman Star Trek episode eh?

Anyway, I hope Lucas fired all his current staff and dusted off the old recipe book he used to make the first movies and I hope he ends with another history maker.

At least I get more x-wings.

Originally posted by ScottRC
Did Lucas really have anything to do with the 1st two? They were nothing like the original 3. A agree with everyone, too much cute, characters were too polished and had no personality (they even made Yoda boring) chase scenes too long, too much CG, followed by minutes of silent boredom. Sounds like a Rick Berman Star Trek episode eh?

Anyway, I hope Lucas fired all his current staff and dusted off the old recipe book he used to make the first movies and I hope he ends with another history maker.

At least I get more x-wings.

Actually, it's the reverse, Scott.

Lucas wrote and directed the original Star Wars himself, but he hired other directors to do Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kirshner) and Return of the Jedi (Richard Marquand). Also, he had scriptwriting help on those two (Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan on ESB, Kasdan on RotJ).

When he decided to do the prequels, he decided he wanted to do it all himself once again. So, he's the director again, and the primary writer (although Jonathan Hales assisted on the Attack of the Clones script). If you watch the "Empire of Dreams" documentary that comes with the Original Trilogy DVD set, you'll see some of the actors commenting on his deficiencies as a director (about the only direction he ever seems to give the actors is "faster, more intense") and as a scriptwriter ("George, you can type this stuff, but you can't say it.")

IMO, the biggest problem with the prequels is George following his own personal vision on the movies, and having less input from others.

Originally posted by cydermaster
But I thought that was the point of The Dark Side - loosing your temper, giving in to anger & that? Wasn't the Emporer trying to get Luke to loose his temper in ROTJ?

Yes, I thought that was the point, too.

Actually, I loved Episode 2, luvvy-duvvy bits and all.

Originally posted by CTulanko
I liked them all!!! The original 3 are classics! Episode 1 and 2 I felt were also great episodes, but then I like anything Science Fiction. Anni's acting was poor in EP 2 , but I liked the story and it was worth going just to see Amadala...gawd, they never made em like that when I was a kid! Obi Wan stoll the show in EP2 until Yoda kicked butt at then end...that little buzz saw had everyone talking!!!

Episode 1 was my least favourite, other than that I liked them all too. I can see what people say about the acting of Anakin in Episode 2, but after I thought about it, I realised that he was just coming across as arogant, self-important, self-rightous and naive. Some teens are like that.

It's hard to say that Episode two was my favourite of all the films, because it couldn't stand on its own with out the others, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Originally posted by kenobi65
Just wait. Episode III will include *lots* of Wookiees, and a battle between Wookiees and the Trade Federation on the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk.

Not necessarily a good thing. The Star Wars Holiday Special had lots of wookies in it too.

RRRRRRrrrRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRrRRrr!

I saw part of the preview. I'll see the movie just cuz. I'll probably see it at midnight to be one of the first. Not for the movie tho but for the audience. It was great fun when I did just that for E.2

When I watched the original movies again, I became disgusted at the horrible quality of acting, why did I ever like the movie?

Sorry to be negative...:(

Originally posted by kenobi65
Actually, it's the reverse, Scott. IMO, the biggest problem with the prequels is George following his own personal vision on the movies, and having less input from others.

Agreed, Kenobi. My take is that Lucas gets sooo involved with the nitty gritty detail that he loses focus on the bigger picture. It's great he can change the tile pattern on the Jedi temple floor after the scene is shot (thanks to the wonder of digital filmmaking) but does that really have impact on the story and characterizations?

And I think Lucas has attained such a stature that he's less likely to have "naysayers" working with him. I mean, a Star Wars gig would be so sweet and anyone working on it would be less likely to say something that might piss George off. I know <i>I'd</i> think twice if I were working there.

I'm waiting to see what is revealed in Episode 3.

Episode 5: Darth Vader is Luke's dad, Anakin Skywalker
Episode 6: Anakin is also Leia's dad.
Episode 1: Anakin is also C-3P0's "dad".
Episode 2: R2-D2 can fly. Those of you who want to make a flying model of R2-D2, now you know where to put the rocket motors.
Episode 3: Chewbacca is also in the family, and strong with the Force. This explains his amazing ability to drive starships and AT-ST's.

I want to see the Jedi making more imaginative use of the Force. Waving lightsabres around is alright, but being Light Side, they're supposed to avoid killing if possible. Any enemy soldier facing a Jedi ought to suddenly find that his blaster doesn't work; either the safety catch is on or the power pack just fell out. Or... "These aren't the droids you're looking for. By the way, your fly is undone."

(hey, my friends and I cheered when the Ewok got killed in "Return of the Jedi").

I saw ROTJ with a group of people from work. When the Ewok got killed, I heard a sniff from the girl next to me. I turned to look at her and she was crying! Jeez, give me a break! That was the only worthwhile part of the movie. After that I swore I'd never see another, and to this day it's a promise I've kept. Sequels are rarely as good as the originals, and if I'm not mistaken, this is the fifth sequel.

I want to see the Jedi making more imaginative use of the Force.

That's what I liked about E1. Instead of some old boring Jedis who do a few things, you get to see some young Jedis doing remarkable feats. Jumping over 50 foot ledges, ripping thru a steel door with a light saver (sabor - whatever!)

I hated Jar-Jar :p

Originally posted by Fishhead
...After that I swore I'd never see another, and to this day it's a promise I've kept. Sequels are rarely as good as the originals, and if I'm not mistaken, this is the fifth sequel.

For the most part true, but I think everyone would probably agree that "Empire Strikes Back" is the best of the series.

Back