Gawd! I hate it when I do this!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you put your replies to e-mails?

• I reply at the top!

• I reply at the bottom!

• All I get is spam, so I don't reply....

• I reply at the top!

• I reply at the bottom!

• All I get is spam, so I don't reply....

Results are only viewable after voting.

jetra2

Reaction score
I hate it when I have stupidly GREAT ideas! :eek:

Out of the middle of frickin' NOWHERE...

I have the idea to build a downscale AT Mustang...basing it on a BT-55 tube...the Bullpup nose....and a 24mm motor mount...fly it on C11's...drool.... :p :eek:

Alrighty, share your horror stories about your great ideas that led into projects....or into trouble. :D

Jason

BTW - that's EXACTLY how the Tour de Deuce project got started! :p

A great idea that turned into a "stupid" one...one word!

KITS!

What did I get into???:confused:

sandman

Forget GREAT ideas. Shoot, anytime I talk about a rocket kit or some particular scratchbuild, I have to buy the parts or the kit. So keep your ideas to yourself son! Now go build and make us all jealous!

C11? Psshhh...F21W. Put that thing into orbit. A C11 would make for great ballpark flying though.

Originally posted by jflis
one word...

...ACME...

:p

LOL! Jim, you are plagued with ideas. What's worse is that when presented on a public forum, you are nailed to that idea and expected to kit it!

ok, ok... i'll give... :p

Someone on RMR was asking about the Estes rocket cars and I just *had* to relate my experience with rocket cars...

years ago (early-mid 70's) I built a scale model of Gary Gablich's Blue Flame. One early sunday morning in New Smyrna Beach Fl, my neighbor and I went to the beach with a couple of tent stakes, 100' of cord and his mom's best sofa pillow (just in case)...

We hooked it all up and installed a D13 motor in it. It was BT70 based with ball bearing aircraft wheels. We had the stakes 100' apart with the twine tied between them. A pillow at the far stake and the blue flame at the beginning. We lit her off...

...with only 100' of line, the motor was still burning when she went *through* the pillow, shot into the air at an odd angle with a slow roll then hit the beach. After coming to a complete stop, the parachute popped out the back... much to the amusement of an older gentleman walking the beach that morning. He commented "that was the most exciting thing I've ever seen!"

Scared to death we'd get caught by someone we grabbed everything and shoved it in the back seat of the car and spead for home. We noticed a burning smell and I checked the pillow and it was smoking. With it sitting in my lap, the car started to fill up with smoke so we rolled the windows down. That helped, but not much so... ...I held the pillow out of the window...

Now, a 40MPH wind against a smoldering pillow will make for quite the large fireball... ...so I droped the exploding pillows (lordy, don't let the ATF know that pillows explode!) and it caught on the rear bumper... by the time we got home we had to explain how our rocket car didn't really work as planned, how we destroyed her best pillow and why there was a scortched mark on the back of dads car...

not a good day. but a *great* memory... :p :p

jim

Jim,
I'll bet you tear those tags off the furniture, too. We can't let word of this get out! I really can't afford a magazine for my sofa cushions.

jetra2, what length BT55 body tube did you use? depending on fin shape, this sounds suspiciously like a Cherokee-D. you will be very happy with C11-7s and E9-8s!

Yep...If I can't sleep, I sometimes start thinking of different designs in my head. I try to mentally build it, fly it and sometimes paint it while I'm trying to fall asleep. One time I know I captured a great idea and fell off to sleep. I still can't remember what it was to this day so now I just get up out of bed and sketch it out or crank up the computer.

All but one of my designs have been done while counting sheep.

Yep...Sucked into the great rocket abyss forever!LOL:D

Originally posted by n3tjm
American Beauty?

Nope. Hint...An older woman spoke these words. I thought it was a pretty cool quote from sort of a B western. (Gee, I think that was a double hint!:D )

Back