Gauchito-Little Joe II Conversion?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my "work in progress." I'm making the Apollo tower out of styrene and section of dowel.

The paint brought out the grain left in what I thought was well sealed and sanded balsa fins. Oh well. It will make a nice 25' stand-off model. ;)

Originally posted by by basher
Here's my "work in progress." I'm making the Apollo tower out of styrene and section of dowel.

The paint brought out the grain left in what I thought was well sealed and sanded balsa fins. Oh well. It will make a nice 25' stand-off model. ;)

That's all that matters. Looks great so far.

I've said this before...the Estes Gouchito IS the Estes 1/100th scale Little Joe II but without the escape tower!

The body tube is the BT-58 used for the service module on the 1/100th Saturn V.

You may still be able to buy the complete Saturn V plastic parts set from Estes customer service for $10.

Originally posted by MetMan
I just saw a close up of the Gauchito package on ebay. The first bullet says "Little Joe II styling". The nose cone and fins look pretty close. Anyone seen one up close enough to make an assessment?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2567&item=5937694718&rd=1

MetMan

The diameter is the same. The shape is roughly the same. The external details are quite different, but for some rounds of the LJII, the Gauchito cone may be more appropriate once the details are sanded off.

And here is a view showing the two side-by-side.
The Gauchito cone is in a tube from an OLD saturn V kit, while the Apollo cone is in the Gauchito's tube.

Latest posts

Back