Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets) God Phoenix Spaceship

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BigMacDaddy

Reaction score
So what do you guys think, can this [theoretically] be made stable? I don't want to put a huge tube out behind it or anything but might make it a bit longer or make top fins a bit larger for example. I would plan 2x engines in the back so could go with 18mm or 24mm so could be somewhat heavy (which it will be with all those 3D printed parts and necessary nose weight).

Next question is, what parts can I replace w/ 2mm basswood, standard body tubes, etc... to keep weight down? Easy parts: 2mm basswood = Fins & Wings + Vertical wing pasts in middle. Body Tube: center portion of wing pods. 3D Printed = Nose cone, front/rear of wing tip pods, top pod slotted for top fins, vents, transitions. Questionable: Wondering if I can make the body out of rectangle(s) of basswood (possibly mounted on a 3D printed frame).

This is actually one of my favorite shows from my childhood. Some pictures of the "prototype" to inspire us...

1634084504840.jpeg

1634084513451.jpeg
1634084529786.jpeg
1634084520936.jpeg

Last edited:

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is doable. The bass wood body could have a balsa frame. Build it like a wall for a house, beams and cross members. As far as stability. It is going to have a lot of base drag. Especially with those intakes. Probably need shear pins to hold the nose cone on. Because of the base drag you might not need a full caliber between the CG and CP. My concern would be with the dropped nose. But then the fins may counteract the nose shape. Give it a shot. If it doesn't fly you still have a good looking model.

KenECoyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Oooh, I love it and I'm a big fan!

I think it might be doable with extra nose weight, but not so sure of it being all 3D parts since I don't really have much exp on that. Also the downward curve of the top of the cockpit/etc. may be more of a challenge to overcome.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
I suspect rear-ejection?

Also, looking at this:
1634084529786.jpeg

... the motors seem very off-centered toward the bottom. I think the bigger the rocket, the greater the issue.

I'd say if you're willing to spend weeks or months on the project, then go for it!

BigMacDaddy

Reaction score
I suspect rear-ejection?

Also, looking at this:
View attachment 485945
... the motors seem very off-centered toward the bottom. I think the bigger the rocket, the greater the issue.

I'd say if you're willing to spend weeks or months on the project, then go for it!
Good point about the motors being off-center. I may be able to fix that somewhat.

I can also straighten the nose out some (would still be asymmetrical to maintain the look but could angle it so bottom is straight at least.

I wonder if the curved nose would offset the additional top drag...