Garmin Sight N Go feature in a phone app?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used this app successfully for many years in FAI Space Model cups and NAR competition meets. You need to get bearing information from somewhere other than the app, say an orienteering compass, but it works great and shows your track along with the bearing line you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bearingnavigation.android&gl=us
I also "cheat" a little and use these binoculars that have a compass in the left reticle. I can get a bearing accurate to 0.5 degrees with it. Yeah it's expensive, but it's worth every penny. The optical quality is on par with the price and brand name.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...ulars/7x50-oceanpro-cf-wp-global-compass.html

I have an app on my Android phone called "Bearing Navigation" that seems to be similar functionally. Allows plotting a bearing by GPS or by using the compass.

When creating a new bearing, the three ellipses in the upper-right can be touched, then pick "Draw a Bearing Line" - select "Enable Compass Sensor" then hit confirm when pointing in the direction of the rocket/item/waypoint. Then, start walking.

I'll try to get some screenshots....

I do this process somewhat differently. However, used correctly, I can get me, or someone else, within +/- 20' of the rocket at a mile or more. The process is this:

1. Have someone walk about 500 feet away. Steer them to the line, and then have them enter a waypoint. They put an object of some sort at the point where they entered the waypoint, and them come back to the flightline position (also on the line).

2. From the flightline, determine the bearing to the 500' waypoint. I think this process of determining the bearing is more accurate than "pointing" the device. I have found that pointing can result in an error of several degrees.

3. "Project" a waypoint that is on the bearing 50 miles out and then navigate to that projected waypoint.

4. Walk to the point where you entered the 500' waypoint and determine the error in the line. For example, the projected line might be 10' to the right or left of the actual line. If the projected line is, say, 10' to the right of the actual line (where the object is), then if you were out 5000 feet (49 miles from the waypoint), you would know that the actual line is 10x5=50' to the left of the projected line.

This method is very accurate with just a little care.

Jim

Back