G80 motors in the uk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you look in the vendors list you can see that there are only a few sellers of AP in the UK.
shipping of motors is expensive - usually at least £30, and some do not ship. collection is the cheapest method, but that depends on where you live.
as for a G80, i'd recommend buying reloadable cases and the reload -works out cheaper in the long run.
if you join a club then some vendors sell at club launches.
the law around shipping of AP motors is very tight in the UK, its got a bit better in the last few years.

If you go to a club launch, the vendor has already done all the AP paperwork and I believe you can just go ahead and launch. You can't take the motors home, however. But, although they are voluntary as far as the law is concerned, you will need to comply with the certification requirements if you want to be covered by UKRA's insurance.
Do check first though- I'm quoting second-hand as I don't fly regulated composites.

In order to use AP motors, you will need to get a document called a Recipient Competent Authority Transfer Document (RCA) from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).This allows you to move your propellant from one place to another, for example from your home to the launch site. In legal terms, move includes not only from the shop to your car and to the launch site but also from a shop at the launch site to the launch pad itself. Without it you will not be able to use AP motors.

the plus side is that its free and easy to get one, just write to the HSE.

the letter you send is like this:

Your Name
Your Address​
Health & Safety Executive
1.2 Redgrave Court
Merton Road
Bootle
Merseyside
L20 7HS

The Date​

Dear Sir,
I would like to request an RCA document to cover the following UN NUMBERS which were exempted from COER and MSER on the 4th Dec 2007 in small quantities:
• UN0186, UN0272, UN0349, UN0351, UN0471
I can confirm that in order to conform to the COER and MSER exemptions:
• I shall store no more than 5Kg of net propellant of motors.
• No single motor will have more than 1Kg of net propellant weight.
• These will be used for the purpose of model rocketry.
• They will be stored in a suitable safe place.

Yours sincerely,

Your Signature

Your Name

the letter you send is like this:

Your Name
Your Address​
Health & Safety Executive
1.2 Redgrave Court
Merton Road
Bootle
Merseyside
L20 7HS

The Date​

Dear Sir,
I would like to request an RCA document to cover the following UN NUMBERS which were exempted from COER and MSER on the 4th Dec 2007 in small quantities:
• UN0186, UN0272, UN0349, UN0351, UN0471
I can confirm that in order to conform to the COER and MSER exemptions:
• I shall store no more than 5Kg of net propellant of motors.
• No single motor will have more than 1Kg of net propellant weight.
• These will be used for the purpose of model rocketry.
• They will be stored in a suitable safe place.

Yours sincerely,

Your Signature

Your Name

Thanks Gillard :)

Back