G64 reload does not fit into case, help please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought 3 G64 reloads here in Slovakia, all in sealed packages. I started to assemble the first one but, when it came time to insert the liner tube and grains into the 29/40-120 case, it would not fit in. The tube gets past the threads but then requires strong force to go in any further, and even with force it will not go all the way in. I tried substituting the liners from the other 2 reloads, but they are just as tight. I tried sanding the liner but that did not seem to help, and I'm not sure if it is safe to sand it deeply down.

Any thoughts on what might have happened, and any possible fix? In the past I've seen grains that expanded but never before have seen a liner too big to fit in.
Thanks,
Bill

Tolerances for the paper liners (which is what I think you are talking about) are quite tight so slight changes in humidity or temp can affect the fit. The best way to deal with this is to use a sharp knife to lift off a thin layer of paper and peel off until it fits. A snug fit but still slides through. If you manage to jam the liner into the case imagine how hard it will be to clean the case out. This is not uncommon for reloads of the CTI or AT variety in all sizes and sometimes I have to peel paper off of the grans themselves to get them to fit in the liner. I've never had this issue with Loki motors BTW.

Edit: Plus I do not recommend sanding because that will take forever.

Last edited:
This happened to me once as well with a G64. I pushed the liner in by putting the end of it on my table and then pushing the case tube down on it. I then used the closure and threads to push the liner in the rest of the way. After I used the motor, the case must have expanded a bit from the heat because the used liner slid right out.

It’s always interesting to see people in other countries enjoying rocketry. Is there a big hobby industry in other countries for rocketry?
Bill actually lives in south Florida and is on holiday in Slovakia. Australia, UK, Canada all have good following and I’m sure there are other countries.

It’s always interesting to see people in other countries enjoying rocketry. Is there a big hobby industry in other countries for rocketry?
There is rocketry here in Europe, mostly low power, and not nearly as much as in the USA. Prices for kits and motors are almost double the USA price. The club "launches" are all competitions rather than sport flying for fun. For more about my rocketry efforts here in Slovakia, see
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...r-motors-in-europe-no-more-sierra-fox.144609/and
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/launches-at-fai-competitions.160416/Bill

This is very commom with the 24mm and 29mm Aerotech Hobbyline loads. Just peel a layer of paper off the outside of the liner until it fits, it will be fine.

Cool, looks like the Sierrafox website in Milano is up. A Bull Pup 12D for example cost $31.81.

It does have the following message.

Aerotech engines
The shipment of Aerotech engines that was expected in February, after the renewal of the CE certificate, has not yet arrived in Europe. The European importer is working to solve the problems associated with this shipment, aggravated by the Covid emergency situation, which is particularly critical in the United States.
As the pre-orders arrived so far cover the arriving shipment in full, we stopped pre-orders of AT motors.
Thanks for your continued support!
Your Sierrafox Hobbies Staff

Cool, looks like the Sierrafox website in Milano is up. A Bull Pup 12D for example cost $31.81.

It does have the following message.

Aerotech engines
The shipment of Aerotech engines that was expected in February, after the renewal of the CE certificate, has not yet arrived in Europe. The European importer is working to solve the problems associated with this shipment, aggravated by the Covid emergency situation, which is particularly critical in the United States.
As the pre-orders arrived so far cover the arriving shipment in full, we stopped pre-orders of AT motors.
Thanks for your continued support!
Your Sierrafox Hobbies Staff
I placed an order with Sierra Fox for some Aerotech motors and am still waiting for them. I'm hoping they get here eventually.

Back