G.I. Joe Mercury Capsule

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here for a second. When I was a kid, I had the GIJOE Action Figure, which was a 12" um... doll. But he came with that amazingly cool Mercury Capsule in the 1960's and although I don't have the toy any longer, I'm sure you can find that sort of stuff on eBay. But how big would I have to make a scale Mercury Redstone in order to fly my old GIjoe Capsule? Gotta be pretty darn big, I assume... That would be 1/6th scale?

Just about 14 feet tall at 1/6th scale is what it's looking like, to answer my own question. That's about M Motor territory I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Someone should buy the smaller newer version and build a booster for it. If I had time, maybe I would, but I have too many other projects on the go.

For the 3-1/2" figures? I see that, but for what that set costs on Amazon, I could buy a 3D printer and print a mercury capsule, along with a lot of needed pieces and parts.
Which reminds me, it's time I got on Craigslist and start looking for a 3D printer...

Not a doll, an 'action figure'.

This is a doll:

View attachment 542464
Oh, I had the 12" <ahem> action figure as well - several of them - a Green Beret (U. S. Special Forces), and of course the astronaut and space capsule on which the "Mercury Joe" project referenced above was based. I even got my Mom to allow me to plug the bathtub overflow so I could fill the tub nearly to overflowing and somewhere, God knows where, there are snapshots of the action figure egressing the capsule and stepping into the life raft. The capsule is stabilized in the water by it's inflated flotation collar in the horizontal position, which wasn't how they did it in Project Mercury, as I recall. Wish I could find those pictures...

Edited to add: I even used dry cleaning bags to make a 36" diameter paraachute for one of my GI Joe action figures. It worked well, and we had an elevated back porch that gave me a few extra secods of float. I had been given an airborne handbook by someone and was also practicing my parachute landing falls jumping the 6' to the ground from one end of the porch! I've been a dweeb forever...

Last edited:
Regardless of who came up with it first, this is one of the best ideas I’ve heard. Well done!👍🏻 I just wish I knew what happened to my GI Joe capsule…

Just about 14 feet tall at 1/6th scale is what it's looking like, to answer my own question. That's about M Motor territory I'm guessing.
The G.I. Joe mercury capsule isn't truly 1/6th scale. It is not 12 inches in diameter it is only about 10 inches give or take.

Back