G Harry Stine Memorial Launch - October 25th and 26th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuySmith

Reaction score
It is that time of year again!

The G Harry Stine Memorial launch will be hosted this year by Superstition Spacemodeling Society (NAR Section 506) and Mohave Area Rocket Society (Tripoli Prefecture 122) October 25th and 26th at Red Dry Lake in Kingman Arizona. Campers can set up in the afternoon/evening on Friday October 24th. Bay Area Rocketry will provide HPR vendor support as well as hot dogs, soda and chips. Waiver is for 7700ft MSL with call-ins to 17000ft MSL. See attached flyer or visit www.sssrocketry.com for more info.

Guy Smith
SSS

View attachment GHS-2014-Flyer.pdf

Last edited:
So....since Kingman is (according to wikipedia), 3,333 feet above sea level, then the waiver is for 3,667 feet above the ground? Or did you mean above ground level (AGL) rather than mean sea level (MSL)?

The flyer you posted says 7,700 feet MSL for the waiver - so 4,367 feet above the ground....

Last edited:
Corrected to 7700ft (fingers have a mind of their own). The field is at a lower elevation than Kingman. 5000ft AGL with call-ins to 14300ft AGL.

Guy

Cool! It has been a while - cannot wait to see what you guys bring to fly.

Guy

Cool! It has been a while - cannot wait to see what you guys bring to fly.

Guy

Oh, you're gonna hate it, they are all big heavy fiberglass rockets that need huge, expensive motors to get any altitude with. Most of them will need a call in waiver, and much like Desert Heat, we will have to be careful what we fly, 14k ft. isn't out of reach for some of them. But I love Red Dry Lake! Nice and flat, with plenty of room for recovery.
You know I'm just kidding with you, right? It will be great to get back in touch with SSS and fly some rockets! We will also be bringing some MPR rockets, I have an Estes Argent dual deploy that's great fun to fly. Flew it at Desert Heat too. Probably won't need the tracker for that flight though.

3-30-2014desertheat009.jpg

Now, Wayne - I don't hate fiberglass rockets - after all my DiabGlo is fiberglass.:wink: (I know you are kidding - it is all good). I look forward to seeing you guys!

Now, Wayne - I don't hate fiberglass rockets - after all my DiabGlo is fiberglass.:wink: (I know you are kidding - it is all good). I look forward to seeing you guys!

Heh , WeFly2 and I are both building clones of the DiabGlo right now..all the fun with a 20 inch body tube.

Kenny

Heh , WeFly2 and I are both building clones of the DiabGlo right now..all the fun with a 20 inch body tube.

Kenny

Bring 'em out - we can have a drag race! If you need any of the LEDs let me know, I have LOTS of spares.

Guy

Bring 'em out - we can have a drag race! If you need any of the LEDs let me know, I have LOTS of spares.

Guy

Heading to Vegas the 17th and have a local launch on the 11/1 ..may not make it to this one. Oh and Rocstock the week after that.

We did buy a little ahead on the LEDs ..he bought 5050 rgb 5m strip and have 5m of red 5630s as well as night bows in the nose.

Heading to Vegas the 17th and have a local launch on the 11/1 ..may not make it to this one. Oh and Rocstock the week after that.

We did buy a little ahead on the LEDs ..he bought 5050 rgb 5m strip and have 5m of red 5630s as well as night bows in the nose.

I've created a monster! Night rocket mania! Now Sharon wants to turn her 5" Jart into a bigger, better, brighter W.C.B!
We're having the same problem, October and November are full of launches. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! Octoberfest in Jean is too good to miss, but the GHS launch is the next weekend. ROCstock two weeks later and TRA/PHX two weeks after that. Between gas for the truck and APCP for the rockets, well, you get the picture....

Hope to see you there - we need to give Wayne and Sharon a run for their money for lighting up the night sky.

Guy

Hope to see you there - we need to give Wayne and Sharon a run for their money for lighting up the night sky.

Guy

Waycos Warp Core Breach inspired my RED ALERT build. It sure is a sight to behold in person !

Sharons led Snitches inspired lighting up the Funk Saucers.

Also had no idea it was Metalstorm For The Win til night launch at rocstock. ..

Maybe hitting TRAPHX at end of year..we can drag race then.

Kenny

Don't forget, Wayne, you get to use your own pad. :cool:

There will also be a club members meeting with some great news regarding two new, very easily accessible, waivered launch sites for High power and competition flying. Both sites are perfectly suited for their respective activities.

The BoD looks forward to seeing everyone there.

Oh, you're gonna hate it, they are all big heavy fiberglass rockets that need huge, expensive motors to get any altitude with. Most of them will need a call in waiver, and much like Desert Heat, we will have to be careful what we fly, 14k ft. isn't out of reach for some of them. But I love Red Dry Lake! Nice and flat, with plenty of room for recovery.
You know I'm just kidding with you, right? It will be great to get back in touch with SSS and fly some rockets! We will also be bringing some MPR rockets, I have an Estes Argent dual deploy that's great fun to fly. Flew it at Desert Heat too. Probably won't need the tracker for that flight though.

3-30-2014desertheat009.jpg

There will also be a club members meeting with some great news regarding two new, very easily accessible, waivered launch sites for High power and competition flying. Both sites are perfectly suited for their respective activities.

The BoD looks forward to seeing everyone there.

I can't wait! It looks like it's going to be a great turnout. I hope to make the meeting and hear the great news.

Juan,

Russ of MARS was going to give us an update the end of this week. We are monitoring it and should have a final determination in about a week or so. The forecast for the rest of the month is sunny and clear. A small group is going up the 18th to check things out.

Guy

I am probably going to camp out if I can attend, but if that does not work out are there any motels that you would recommend in the area?

Sure wish I could attend.
I've been wanting to move to AZ actually.
Been looking at Peach Springs.
Tried looking up Red Dry Lake on Google Earth, no luck.
But by view, is Red Dry Lake North of Kingman and West of Peach Springs between the 2 Mt. ranges with Tipton to the West?
Good luck everyone and please post some pics when you get back.

D
Sure wish I could attend.
I've been wanting to move to AZ actually.
Been looking at Peach Springs.
Tried looking up Red Dry Lake on Google Earth, no luck.
But by view, is Red Dry Lake North of Kingman and West of Peach Springs between the 2 Mt. ranges with Tipton to the West?
Good luck everyone and please post some pics when you get back.

Red lake is just north on Kingman, about 5 miles in diameter.
Peach Springs is on the Hualapai Reservation. I believe you would need to be a tribal member to move there. I lived at Grand Canyon Caverns for a summer. The area has issues with lack of water.

M

I am probably going to camp out if I can attend, but if that does not work out are there any motels that you would recommend in the area?

Closest practical area for a motel is in Kingman and several people stay there. Your choice of all the usual hotel franchises, but the last one I stayed at in the recent past was Best Western King's Inn & Suites.

The closest one to the launch area would be Hampton Inn and Suites Kingman and it is surrounded by all the "usual suspects" fastfood/restaurants.

Wayne and I are bringing our trailer, be sure and stop by, sit for a spell and say hello. We're the ones flying the Arizona Flag along with with a tie-dye streamer

Terry,

Drying very nicely. Looks like it will be ready for us by the time GHS rolls around. Should get another update this Friday.

Guy

All,

The lake bed has slowed its drying - at this time there is a strong chance that the GHS will not be able to be held and Red Dry Lake. We will check the lake bed one more time on Tuesday - if conditions have not improved to the point that we feel that we can conduct the launch we will cancel the launch for October 25th-26th and provide an updated schedule and/or venue for when/where GHS will be held. Hopefully, things will improve in the next day or so. Stay tuned!

Guy Smith
Superstition Spacemodelling Society
NAR Section 506
President / NAR Section Advisor

Ah well, better to cancel then get stuck in the mud. Worst case I drive thru Kingman and go to the launch at Jean.

Back