G. Harry Stine Aerodyne from Applewhite saucer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
This is an Art Applewhite 13mm delta saucer I won at NARAM 45 at a raffle. Great kit!

I made it into a fighter from a G. Harry Stine Novel that forum member Adam Selene gave me, called "Warbots". The novel is about an elite group of military folks that jack their brains into these cool computers that run combat mecha (battle robots, for the non-japanese animation inclined) like they were right there on the battlefield.

In the novel, you can't allways run ops from the the home base, so you strap on a mobile link harness and head out to the comabat zone. Well, to get there you take a submarine aircraft carrier, and fly out in an Aerodyne with your brain plugged into all it's systems! Aerodynes are saucer shaped vehicals that blow REALLY fast moving air dowm their top curverd surface for ultimate manueverability. Cool stuff. There are fighter versions, and bigger cargo and transport versions. This is a fighter version.

Anyhow, the aircraft sounded really cool, so I made one of my Applewhite saucer. It is a little heavy for 13mm motors, so I didn't glue on the cannons for it as in the story. I already made them, so I'm gonna save them for a 24mm Applewhite Aerodyne.:D

Here's a top view pic.

The details are Plastruct styrene pieces. I love the stuff, and use it on all sorts of flying and non-flying models.

The air vents are rubber screen from Home Depot.

The decals are Micro Scale carrier plane model decals. In the book, Aerodynes are borrowed from the Navy. I don't remember which planes I used, but they are the same sheets I used on the Red Delta 1 thread. The thread is called "New rocket pics". The cockpit is a Estes Space Shuttle sticker from a designer set cut out.

Here is a bottom view.

To paint and weather it, I primed it, an scribed lines and scratches all over it with a pencil. Then I sprayed it with Walmart silver. Then a layer of Walmart clear. I did this so the paint of the next stage would not soak in, just fill cracks.

After everything was good and dry, I applied a wash of black acrylic (Applebarrel I think), and wiped most of it off.

When this was dry, I clear sprayed again, then applied decals....See how it got heavy..:rolleyes: I knew it would. I'm not an altitude guy..:)

Then I sealed the decals with yet more clear. Here's a side view.

aerodyne-side.jpg

I agree. I want at least three more for stuff I'm plotting..:cool:

I have made one 12"er into a 29mm Aeroshell, one 12" into a 3x24mm saucer, and added legs to one 13mm Delta. Fun stuff!

Hey Justin,
that UFO-looking thing came out great. I never considered using washes and such on my rockets, it looks sharp. With what you did for this model, it looks cool instead of like a kids toy.:cool:
I guess I have been used to "unblemished" rockets. If you think about it most "real" rockets look freshly painted. Weathering and washes would look great for any fantasy rockets though. Thanks for the idea.;)

I have to remember/use this technique. This thread has been added to my personal TRF links list!

Mr Rodgers
I was thinking the same thing (though I love kids toys). Either rockets were ony flown once (hence fresh paint), or the reusable parts are cleaned, re-tiled, and painted (more fresh paint).

Where as with a fantasy craft like the aerodyne, it was flown continually in combat zones. I'm working on a Battlestar Gallactica Viper rocket that I think I'm gonna weather too.

Besides all that I've been a regular scifi modeler MANY moons longer than I have been building rockets, so I was itching to make a dirty one..:D

WOW. I love saucers (along with all of Art's other products) but your interpretation is AWESOME :cool: Nicely done!!

I agree with other folks here. I usually go for the pristine, glossy finish for my rockets but I'd never considered an intentional weathered look. :rolleyes: I'll definitely have to try this technique in the future...

BTW, I wouldn't worry about the additional weight--the 13mm saucer only gets about 50-60ft of altitude when built stock anyway. I would recommend that you ONLY fly it the Estes Blurzz A10-PT motors. You'll never have to worry about any ejection charge damage (although I guess that might add to the look, no?)

Thanks for sharing ;)

Yeah, that's pretty sweet, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Sweet saucer!

I have done weathering with plastic models but never thought of it for rockets.

I have flown it a few times, and it just barely works with all the stuff on it, that's why I didn't add the guns I mentioned.

I have never used an A10pt. Are they a little lighter with out the smoke and ejection charge? Maybe I wouild get a little more lift from one..

Great Job Justin!
I haven't done as much weathering as I'd like on many models. it's a great technique;) Keep up the great work
the A10-PT is a fun motor, There are also plenty of A10-0T still out there to be flown;) Check on-line sources if you can't find any at your local hobby shop.

Originally posted by Micromeister
There are also plenty of A10-0T still out there to be flown;) Check on-line sources if you can't find any at your local hobby shop.

I was told that I can't use the A10-0T motors at my club launches because they aren't certified anymore.

That said, I use them in saucers that I fly in the back yard and in boosters when I launch by myself. I'll probably save them for boosters and use A10-PT's in saucers.

That is really cool. Have your sent any pictures to Art? If not, you should. I think he'd get a kick out of seeing what a great job you did.

Terri

Art used to have a graphic contest, maybe you could send in a variant, with instructions.

I'm on dail up internet, I would have to send the pics to him one at time in a pile of emails. I guess I could email him and tell him about the thread. He's a TRF member isn't he?

Hmmm, not that I remember, but I could be wrong. I see so much from him on other lists that I can't keep track. He does have email :)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Hmmm, not that I remember, but I could be wrong. I see so much from him on other lists that I can't keep track. He does have email :)

I haven't seen him post on here for quite some time but I'm 99.9% sure his username is 'rocket877'. (In fact his last post was over 3 months ago according to his user profile...)

I would contact him through his website. He's usually very good about getting back with you in a very short time (less than 24 hrs).

HTH,

Yes that's it...I was just confused....too much leftover turkey :)

Yup, I found him and sent an email. Hopefully he'll like the Aerodyne.

I'm gonna order a 29mm delta saucer tonight I think:D ....

As soon as Art gets back to me about shipping. My address here dosen't accept UPS or FedEx.

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I had a computer crash recently that I haven't quite recovered from.

Justin,

Your take on my humble Delta is fantastic. I really love it when someone does such creative stuff with my basic designs. I just wish there was a way to make it into a kit, but that would be like trying do a Van Gogh as a "Paint by the Numbers". :)

I would startup my graphic design contest again if I could get entries like that.

I was wondering why you have been so quiet. Isn't technology wonderful :)

Art Applewhite rocks.
Not just 'cause he gave me giant compliments, but because he answered all my questions about his kits, and motor options in no time. He addressed my shipping problem, and I have a kit on the way. I can't wait to get it.

It's a 29mm, so I'll have alot of room for goodies:D

FWIW, Art has always shipped his kits to me via USPS, so it sounds like you shouldn't have any problems getting 'em... :)

Also, get your hands on Ellis Mountain G35s--LOTS of them! (And get some Quickburst Twiggy ignitors too.) Art's saucers & Qubits will eat them up :D Long burn motors in saucers are the only way to go!!!

Justin,
Very nice job on adapting the saucer to your fantasy SF version!
If you get around to trying any rebuilds you might substitute paper for the plastic (roll or fold some small shapes).
I half-expected to see some clear plastic windshield transparencies and a 'scale' cockpit inside there?
Thanks for all the tips on weathering, that info will come in handy on many mod-rocs!

He says I'm to consider the Aerodyne the Design Contest Winner for November. He's posting pics of it on his site and giving me my 29mm saucer free!:D

He hasn't had any one send in pictures for his design contest in a long time, so you guys send him some pics of your bashed or painted Applewhite kits!

Awesome job...I like to apply the weathered look to my models too. Your Aerodyne looks like its seen some heavy action:)

Back