G glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Sep 20, 2003
Reaction score
I've got a TLP kit which requires a paper cone (san pan?) to be attached to the plastic cone to make the kit a bit more authentic. I was thinking about glueing the paper cone to the plastic cone then trying to fill the resulting void throught a small hole with gorrilla glue for added strength. I'm not sure that the gorrilla will expand to fill the gap. Any suggestions?

Not knowing the exact weight of the paper cone, it's difficult to say. My first impression would be that it might expand the cone and distort it. I suppose if you could "vent" the cone enough for the material to over flow; it would be a good idea and would avoid possible presure and distortion. Then, you just shave off the over flow, sand and you’re done.
I'm not familiar with gorilla glue. I imagine it would be OK if it's expanding like two part epoxy foam?

As flying_silverad said, you will have to make sure you don't put too much in, and/ir vent it otherwise it will deform.

The conical tips are best coated in CA anyway, which adds strength and will help prevent deformation from the foam too.
Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I'm not familiar with gorilla glue. I imagine it would be OK if it's expanding like two part epoxy foam?

The conical tips are best coated in CA, which adds strength and would help prevent deformation form the foam too.

I forgot that part....definitely coat the paper cone with CA first (watch the fumes)

If you haven't done so already, make a copy of the cone pattern as well, just in case things go sour!

i wouldn't use it for rocketry, personally.

i'm Mr. Epoxy
Polyurethane glue has been used for rocketry applications by several here with great success. I suppose it binds hide as well?

I'm thinking for the cone... two part foam may be better?
you could always just spin a little tip from wood and glue it on...

all this... moisture needs .. and expansion rates.. mixing foam..jive.. just sounds like more trouble than it 's worth to me

I like to try different glues but when I have to watch for this and account for that ..than theres the likely need for clean -up...forget it ..just give me a plain ole bottle of glue
I agree ,, whatever works best for the builder

for me spinning a balsa tip might seem simple, but others may not see it that way..thats fine ,, like most others,I'm always looking for better ways to do things.
Thanks jcrocket...

That's what I wanted to know.


I'm not sure how I could spin a cone without tools or maintain the suggested profile without a proof piece. At this point I'm more interested in experience with paper shroud techniqes, but thanks for the suggestion.
Gorrilla glue is a water activated glue, which expainds as it sets. Very unpredictable, Large mess, and WILL distort your paper cone. Not a good choice for this application.

I've had very good results using 30 minute (Slow) set epoxy for this type application. tape the cone in place on one side apply epoxy to the entire inside of the cone then tape the other side down allowing the epoxy to settle to the contact points. As the epoxy fills any gaps wipe excess as it appears with an alcohol dampened paper towel. Once set (overnight) swab CA on the outside of the paper cone using medium CA. file/ sand any rough spots, prime and paint.
Hope this helps.
Polyurethane is many things, flexible is not one of them...

I use it in attaching MMT assemblies to bodies. Nice thing about it is it flows nicely. It actulally turns slightly thinner during the cure process which takes close to 24 hours. This does make it very repositionable until it cures. Unlike 2 part foam which is all done in minutes.

I have a TLP Hawk and have been considering the same situation. What I came up was to make a real "fluffy" epoxy paste a whole bunch of microballoons and then fill the paper cap close to the edge and then press it down on the NC and wipe away the excess.

I used Sig microballons and epoxy to fill in the paper shroud on a K27 Honest John. Since I was only looking for support, I used LOTS of micro ballons. The stuff was almost like whipped cream. It worked perfectly and that shroud is harder than the NC. (I modified the HJ to seperate just below the shroud, so the the shroud and the NC are always in one piece.)

I tried Gorilla Glue for the first time this week on installing a motor mount into a BT60 (scratch Ciatation Patriot). Great stuff! I like how easy it was to position. Also, the foam helps provided more "grip". GG will become a part of my regular building arsenal.