G Force Fins: Re-enforce?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
Looking at the Aerotech G Force. Reviews state the fins are bit thin. Anyone out there experience any problems with the stock fins? Is re-enforcement with fiberglass or otherwise necessary? If so, what should I use? Thank you all.

The fins are fine stock - the main issue is landing, not flight. If you are landing on a hard surface, reinforcement would probably be a good idea, but it's somewhat hard to reinforce plastic fins (fiberglass won't stick all that well).

Looking at the Aerotech G Force. Reviews state the fins are bit thin. Anyone out there experience any problems with the stock fins? Is re-enforcement with fiberglass or otherwise necessary? If so, what should I use? Thank you all.

The fins are fine, we have sold many and no one has reported and issues. As with many rockets the landing may be an issue (see first responce). You can use one on the many methods to re-enforce the fins or you can increase the size of your parachute.

I would not stress over it, this is a good kit and works well as designed.

If the G-force is built to plan, doesn't the main airframe tube stick aft just a bit behind the fins (and fin tips)? And doesn't the motor stick out the back of that, even further? I would expect that you would have a lot of other banged-up stuff before you had much fin damage.

It's certainly your choice whether or not to reinforce, but I would think you might want to try building one stock and see how it works out. If it is a total disaster, you could always build another one later with stronger fins, but remember this: every once in a while, our rocket kit designers and manufacturers actually know what they are doing---the rocket might be just fine when built to plan.

If the G-force is built to plan, doesn't the main airframe tube stick aft just a bit behind the fins (and fin tips)? QUOTE]

Yes.

I strengthened the aft end of my G-Force model with a piece of coupler tube that butted-up against the aft centering ring.

The body tube takes the stress of impact at landing.

Back