G-80 problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

skidoo

Reaction score
Launched my [new] Astrobee-D this weekend on a G-80-4T - maiden flight. Engine ignited fine, rocket shot straight up to whatever altitude its supposed to get to on that engine (1000 ft maybe?), hit apogee, arched over, then started straight down nose first - faster, and faster, and faster, until it hit the earth like a javelin. Nose cone was stuck all the way into the ground and squished (peened). Upper body tube was folded up and shredded. Bottom tube was exploded open at the coupler - but body tube and rocket in general just fine from about the engine tube back.

When I pulled the engine out there was a tiny bit of residue at the front end of the engine and the red ejection cup was gone - but it looks like the engine either didn't fire the ejection charge, or barely fired it/misfired it, if that's possible. When I compared the engine to the F-20s I had been using, I noticed that the front end of the F-20s was dark yellow;burnt from heat, whereas the G-80 was still bright shiny yellow. Another tip-off - the rocket has NO smell of exhaust inside the body tube, and there was no smoke coming out of it when I picked it up.

So - why didn't the ejection charge fire? I know its not that the body tube was too tight at the coupler - it fit very loosely.

Someone at the launch told me that Aerotech will replace the engine and rocket. Is that true?

Stones

Reaction score
Originally posted by skidoo
Someone at the launch told me that Aerotech will replace the engine and rocket. Is that true?
True.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by skidoo
Was that at a CMASS launch? I remember someone telling me a similar story while I was in line with mine..... was that you? Mine came close to doing the same thing yours did... a F40-4W was more like a F40-10+..... but mine ejected just in time...

Sounds like the G80 was the new kind with the yellow top. The delay graines in those are assembled in a similar way that the RMS Plus delays are. They probabily put to much grease on the o-ring that the bp absorbed, or the simply forgot to put BP in the motor... Was there any loose BP in the rocket?

I had the same thing happen years ago with an Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk on an E30-4T... I believe they replaced both the motor and rocket... but that was 10 years ago... I could be wrong....

Aerotech should either replace the G80 and Astrobee, or send you a voucher for their worth.

Contact Craig at [email protected]. He is reasonable, and should be able to help.

Latest posts