G-10 Laser cutting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtons 3rd

Reaction score
Since we lost Precision G-10, I was wondering if anyone out there is providing this service. I need some custom centering rings done for our new kit line and need a hundred or so G-10 rings .991 X 1.14 3/32 thick.....

Any suggestions.

I've talked to Rocketguts about getting some cut, but they said it's too dangerous for them do to so :(

Edward

Hello. Yes, as I told Edwards, the hazard caused by the G-10 dust particles is not worth the money we would receive. When it comes to G-10, we'll let the professionals work with it, and not to mention Mr. Edwards (Marvin's dad, the guy who owns the machine) isn't quite familiar with the material himself.

However, we are able to cut almost any other material such as Lexan, birch plywood, and even carbon plate!

What????

Microscopic shards of FiberGLASS flying unchecked in the air and embedding themselves permanently in your lungs….Ripping and tearing out your lungs from the inside…..

What’s so dangerous about that?

All kidding aside, sounds smart. G-10 is nasty stuff.

Prehaps PML could do a discount on your fin order.

I got some custom fins from PML made from G10, and in a few days!

I don't know about centering rings, give them a call! They do nice work.

-tz

I don't know, thats why I'm posting this, but when you laser cut material,doesn't it burn/melt and sorta like seal the material at the same time? so there would be no g10 dust to worry about..?
ASP sells thin g10 for model rockets and the g10 seems to have a black burned crust around the edges.....

Originally posted by KarlD
What????

Microscopic shards of FiberGLASS flying unchecked in the air and embedding themselves permanently in your lungs….Ripping and tearing out your lungs from the inside…..
What’s so dangerous about that?

All kidding aside, sounds smart. G-10 is nasty stuff.

Yeah. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the main danger of fiberglass dust is a nasty thing called silicosis:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000138.htm

Yes.

Silicosis is common around WV. The miners and asbestos workers are in big danger from it.

I was just trying to be humorous about the subject….I guess that is not a laughing matter.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Back