FYI: Stickershock is [NOT] closed...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience most customers are nice and fairly easy to deal with. However, there are a few that more than make up for the rest. They are horrifically demanding, always want a huge discount and demand to get immediate service. I'm surprised more vendors don't hang it up as the miniscule profits most of these guys make don't justify the headaches.

I don’t understand why if someone is a demanding A-hole that the vender doesn’t just say ‘ya know what, F you and here is a refund. Don’t ever order from me again.’
I tell you what, it always makes up for it when I get to fire an A-hole customer.

I dont blame you for getting fed up with the a h*** in this hobby. It's really become apparent in the past couple years here on this forum. Lots of mean people out there. Take care of yourself and family first Mark. You are at the top of the list when it comes to good people in this hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, I still have high hopes that we'll get the artwork finalized for my first L1 rocket, Major Tom. I've just about finished filling in the empty space with other designs. lol I've enjoyed working with you so far, you've been a huge help! Take your time. Mean people suck and sometimes they can get us all wound up. It's good to step back, breath a bit, and refocus. I'm dealing with some 'mean people' too right now (My last day of work is today. Yay for acquisitions.) Here's to a future endeavor with you and decals.

Mark provided no less than a dozen graphics packages for me over the past three years. His special skillset and customer service is tops in the hobby. I feel badly in that Mark very recently sent me a remake of the fin graphics for a Minie Magg I am building for my Steeler fan daughter. That was all my error, but Mark responded. If I added to your level of frustration, I am so sorry, Mark.

I never put the demand for that level of precision on any other rocket component vendor......

I've said it so many times before and I'll say it again..
The people in this community are the most nicest, caring, wonderful people in the world..
Just read through this thread,, it's there in plain site..
I guess you just have to take a break every now and again..
But read through this thread,, it's wonderful..
Where else have you ever seen so many care about someone and try to help so much ??

I'm sure this thread will mean a great deal to Mark, to say the least..

Teddy

I don’t understand why if someone is a demanding A-hole that the vender doesn’t just say ‘ya know what, F you and here is a refund. Don’t ever order from me again.’
I tell you what, it always makes up for it when I get to fire an A-hole customer.

Problem is, a-hole customers rejected by a vendor want to get revenge. That means a-hole posts on Facebook, Twitter, TRF, etc. This attracts good customers and more a-hole customers alike and all of the sudden there's a swirling crap storm of mis-information and speculation all the while hesitant customers who are on the fence with said vendor go away. Its a nice little catch-22 for vendors. No matter what they do it'll be painful or wrong in someone's eyes.

Problem is, a-hole customers rejected by a vendor want to get revenge. That means a-hole posts on Facebook, Twitter, TRF, etc. This attracts good customers and more a-hole customers alike and all of the sudden there's a swirling crap storm of mis-information and speculation all the while hesitant customers who are on the fence with said vendor go away. Its a nice little catch-22 for vendors. No matter what they do it'll be painful or wrong in someone's eyes.
Vendors should just use a code word or phrase for "this guy's a schmuck" that the rest of us can translate. Maybe something like "It didn't work out with this customer. Many others are very satisfied." That'd be polite & truthful while letting everyone else see the passive-aggressive "schmuck" label. :)

There are a lot folks that are difficult customers. I sold a shock cord on eBay and the lighting was not great in the photo. The cord appeared brown but was red. It clearly said it was red in the description. I offered a refund if he mailed it back. He want the refund and to keep the cord.

You just have to figure that the good ones will outweigh the bad ones in the reviews.

I've also found with a lot of demanding customers if you ask for more money they either a) respect you more (or at least the time they're paying for!) or b) just kind of quietly go away. You don't have to cuss them out necessarily, you just have to ask for enough to make it worthwhile. That's going to be more true of services than product but for the custom work it should be pretty OK. You just find yourself saying things like "I'd be more than happy to change that for another $100" (or however you want to phrase it).

I hope Mark comes back. As I said in my earlier post I never have bought stuff from him, but I certainly enjoyed seeing the stunning wraps he has done for other people in my club. Stickershock takes a great looking rocket and makes it look 10 times better. The WWI lozenge camo for the mega Der Red Max is jaw dropping.

Mark just sent this email out to anyone on his mailing list:

STICKERSHOCK23.COM
Greetings..

I wanted to send a personal message out to all Stickershock Customers.

Im sorry this is long BUT PLEASE take the time to read it.. I think its very important..

FIRST I have to say thank you to EVERYONE that has made stickershock what it is today.. I could not have done it without you..

Second.. im sure you have noticed either on TRF, FACE BOOK or by visiting my website that I am closed.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND at this point in time this is TEMPORARY.. LIFE has hit us hard again here.. Yes My wife is battling round two of cancer.. and she needs me.. WE BOTH thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all the kind words, support and prayers that you have sent us.. IT TRULY means more to us than ANYONE can understand..

Next I have had some issues working with customers on Custom work.. PLEASE dont read this wrong.. I LOVE doing it for everyone. I REALLY want your rocket to be all that you want and MORE. For 13 years I have done this and MOST of the time I have not charged for my time to create artwork for you. BUT that is starting to really hurt me.

MY time is VERY valuable ESPECIALLY NOW. So when I do reopen the doors. there will be some MAJOR changes on how CUSTOM work is done. here is a BRIEF overview.. but not final on how things will change.

1 DESIGN TIME. I will be charging at $50.00 an hour for my time to create custom work for you.

2 there will be a 30 min design time charge minimum to start something custom for you, SO when you contact me and need something that is NOT available on my website PLEASE be prepared to pay for my time to create it for you. I think my price is VERY reasonable. AND as always I am TOO kind hearted and will obviously be generous with my time AS LONG AS YOU DO YOUR PART TO HELP STREAMLINE THE PROCESS! bottom line there will be a fee UNLESS I decide it not needed (simple things like color changes.. or small wordage changes... NO CHARGE etc)

What does that mean?? it means BE READY WITH TONS OF INFORMATION to get the ball rolling.. remember the less time I spend looking things up or asking questions the faster we can come to a final design and the LESS it costs YOU in the long run..

that mean BEFORE you contact me IF YOU CAN PLEASE have EVERYTHING you might need ready to go.. THIS could mean many things.. SAY you want Just something simple like lettering and an image.. KNOW THE SIZE you want or how much room I will have to work with.. COLOR FONTS IMAGES to work from etc... ATTACHE THEM TO AN E_MAIL (yes my e-mail is on my contact page if you forget it)

ONE OF THE BEST things you can do for custom work SEND ME A ROCSIM or OPEN rocket file.. THIS IS BEYOND HELPFUL!! NOW many very common rockets.. I have the design file in my bag of tricks.. BUT if its NEW... or its something you have created THIS WILL SAVE ENORMOUS amounts of effort in guiding me in the right direction.

CIRCUMFERENCE.. YEP HAD TO SAY IT .. why do I ask for circumference all the time... its simple there are more than ONE size of EVERY tube out there.. for example. 2" tubing.. its the WORST.. estes makes a 1.875 1.9" and a large one.. Wildmans 54mm is 2.2" madcow makes thin wall thick wall and cardboard Mach 1 thinwall glass etc etc etc ALL HAVING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT circumferences.. NOW is some cases it wont mater. if nothing (especially roll patterns or lettering) is not part of what you need.. then at LEAST tell me the diameter.. ( ESTES BT-60 or Madcow thickwall is fine in theses situations) the other GREAT thing about circumference.. if you roll your own tube,, or use wrapping paper tubes.. or some off the wall thing I CAN STILL FIT TO IT PERFECTLY!!! and LAST thing on CIRCUMFERENCE. I ask on my website and you check-mark it every time.. "I have read and understand circumference...." PLEASE DO READ THAT there is WAY more there than Im going to explain here. remember DON'T do the math.. it will be wrong (trust me)

AND NOW THE HARDEST ONE. I WILL BE SAYING NO I CANT DO THAT A LOT MORE.. PLEASE RESPECT MY DECISION if I tell you that.. I spend LOTS of time trying to explain this to many customers.. and it takes LOTS of my time.. but there are LIMITATIONS to what I can do in VINYL.. i hear "but they do it in waterslide" or "so and so said you can do it on TRF" or "you did similar before" well those are ok but many times I waste more material.. more time more effort doing these things and I ALWAYS loose my button them.. so if I say I cant do it please respect my decision and we can go from there.. UNLESS you tell me "MONEY IS NO OBJECT" then I will rethink what we are doing..

LIMITATION TO VINYL DECALS..

THE BIGGEST LIMITATION IS SIZE.. now with waterslide smaller is cheaper and easier and less material... with VINYL IT THE OPPOSITE. the smaller it is the harder it is to make.. the more time it takes and the more material it wastes.. this is why some of my sets the bt55 size is more expensive than a 4" SIZE DOES NOT DETERMINE COST..

COLORS.. again wateslide type decals are printed on a printer so infinite colors are available.. VINYL NOPE each color is a new sheet an new cut and time putting them together.. so the more colors the more the cost "BUT MARK YOU CAN PRINT THEM" YES I CAN.. I have HP's newest top of the line printer.. BUT please understand its not an ALPS printer.. IT IS DESIGNED TO DO LARGE FORMAT PRINTING.. ITS DESIGNED FOR SIGNS its designed to do wraps banners and more... SO when you ask me to PRINT your decals... YEP I can do it but remember im printing on 54" wide vinyl... and it takes about a foot of that vinyl or more at least just to print anything.. so a 4" x 4" decal I waste 54" x 18 inches or more.. THIS IS WHY I HAVE A MINIMUM.. please keep that in mind when you contact me for decals! Im happy to do it but there will be a charge for it!

MARK CAN YOU PRINT WHITE OR SILVER on CLEAR ?? i get this all the time.. the answer NOPE it takes a special machine to do that.. I could have opted for this upgrade when I bought my printer.. BUT it was $6000 more .. not a huge issue.. BUT it takes 6 more ink cartridges to do that at a cost of $200 each still not a huge issue BUT MAINTAINING those colors becomes HUGELY WASTEFULL white ink needs to be removed and shaken DAILY.. if not printheads DRY OUT AND CLOG costing thousands to replace.. IF YOU DONT PRINT WHIT THESE COLORS YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THEM 2 or 3 times a day. or again new print heads etc. THIS is why I did not purchase that kind of printer.. hope it makes sense..

OK i know i have gone on and on.. Im sorry I just wanted to get all of that out there...

SO WHATS NEXT??? give me a little time I WILL REOPEN THE DOORS PERIOD...

I am looking into a Thermal printer that CAN print things like WHITE chrome etc.. but it is very costly.. MY Large format cost $17,000 plus.. and it prints on 62 Inch wide bed... a thermal printer setup starts at $20,000 and it print on a 15" wide bed.. CRAZY I know.. BUT if you continue to support Stickershock... I think I can make that happen then at that point I can do about ANYTHING large or small in VINYL!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING AND UNDERSTAND what I am going through right now.. thank you for your support and patience... and sorry to go on and on.. but I think this information is VERY important to all my customers... past and future..

Please watch your e-mail.. I will e-mail when we are back up and running.

thanks again god bless you and heres to a better new year!

Mark and Marian..

Never fly Naked!

Mark thanks for the info. It's your Company so you need to run it as you want and need to. You and Marian are great people. I still remember the time you two drove out to MWP in that small rental car packed so full that there was just enough room for you guys to set in the car. It still makes me smile.

Gary

Mark just sent this email out to anyone on his mailing list:

STICKERSHOCK23.COM
Greetings..

I wanted to send a personal message out to all Stickershock Customers.

Im sorry this is long BUT PLEASE take the time to read it.. I think its very important..

FIRST I have to say thank you to EVERYONE that has made stickershock what it is today.. I could not have done it without you..

Second.. im sure you have noticed either on TRF, FACE BOOK or by visiting my website that I am closed.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND at this point in time this is TEMPORARY.. LIFE has hit us hard again here.. Yes My wife is battling round two of cancer.. and she needs me.. WE BOTH thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all the kind words, support and prayers that you have sent us.. IT TRULY means more to us than ANYONE can understand..

Next I have had some issues working with customers on Custom work.. PLEASE dont read this wrong.. I LOVE doing it for everyone. I REALLY want your rocket to be all that you want and MORE. For 13 years I have done this and MOST of the time I have not charged for my time to create artwork for you. BUT that is starting to really hurt me.

MY time is VERY valuable ESPECIALLY NOW. So when I do reopen the doors. there will be some MAJOR changes on how CUSTOM work is done. here is a BRIEF overview.. but not final on how things will change.

1 DESIGN TIME. I will be charging at $50.00 an hour for my time to create custom work for you.

2 there will be a 30 min design time charge minimum to start something custom for you, SO when you contact me and need something that is NOT available on my website PLEASE be prepared to pay for my time to create it for you. I think my price is VERY reasonable. AND as always I am TOO kind hearted and will obviously be generous with my time AS LONG AS YOU DO YOUR PART TO HELP STREAMLINE THE PROCESS! bottom line there will be a fee UNLESS I decide it not needed (simple things like color changes.. or small wordage changes... NO CHARGE etc)

What does that mean?? it means BE READY WITH TONS OF INFORMATION to get the ball rolling.. remember the less time I spend looking things up or asking questions the faster we can come to a final design and the LESS it costs YOU in the long run..

that mean BEFORE you contact me IF YOU CAN PLEASE have EVERYTHING you might need ready to go.. THIS could mean many things.. SAY you want Just something simple like lettering and an image.. KNOW THE SIZE you want or how much room I will have to work with.. COLOR FONTS IMAGES to work from etc... ATTACHE THEM TO AN E_MAIL (yes my e-mail is on my contact page if you forget it)

ONE OF THE BEST things you can do for custom work SEND ME A ROCSIM or OPEN rocket file.. THIS IS BEYOND HELPFUL!! NOW many very common rockets.. I have the design file in my bag of tricks.. BUT if its NEW... or its something you have created THIS WILL SAVE ENORMOUS amounts of effort in guiding me in the right direction.

CIRCUMFERENCE.. YEP HAD TO SAY IT .. why do I ask for circumference all the time... its simple there are more than ONE size of EVERY tube out there.. for example. 2" tubing.. its the WORST.. estes makes a 1.875 1.9" and a large one.. Wildmans 54mm is 2.2" madcow makes thin wall thick wall and cardboard Mach 1 thinwall glass etc etc etc ALL HAVING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT circumferences.. NOW is some cases it wont mater. if nothing (especially roll patterns or lettering) is not part of what you need.. then at LEAST tell me the diameter.. ( ESTES BT-60 or Madcow thickwall is fine in theses situations) the other GREAT thing about circumference.. if you roll your own tube,, or use wrapping paper tubes.. or some off the wall thing I CAN STILL FIT TO IT PERFECTLY!!! and LAST thing on CIRCUMFERENCE. I ask on my website and you check-mark it every time.. "I have read and understand circumference...." PLEASE DO READ THAT there is WAY more there than Im going to explain here. remember DON'T do the math.. it will be wrong (trust me)

AND NOW THE HARDEST ONE. I WILL BE SAYING NO I CANT DO THAT A LOT MORE.. PLEASE RESPECT MY DECISION if I tell you that.. I spend LOTS of time trying to explain this to many customers.. and it takes LOTS of my time.. but there are LIMITATIONS to what I can do in VINYL.. i hear "but they do it in waterslide" or "so and so said you can do it on TRF" or "you did similar before" well those are ok but many times I waste more material.. more time more effort doing these things and I ALWAYS loose my button them.. so if I say I cant do it please respect my decision and we can go from there.. UNLESS you tell me "MONEY IS NO OBJECT" then I will rethink what we are doing..

LIMITATION TO VINYL DECALS..

THE BIGGEST LIMITATION IS SIZE.. now with waterslide smaller is cheaper and easier and less material... with VINYL IT THE OPPOSITE. the smaller it is the harder it is to make.. the more time it takes and the more material it wastes.. this is why some of my sets the bt55 size is more expensive than a 4" SIZE DOES NOT DETERMINE COST..

COLORS.. again wateslide type decals are printed on a printer so infinite colors are available.. VINYL NOPE each color is a new sheet an new cut and time putting them together.. so the more colors the more the cost "BUT MARK YOU CAN PRINT THEM" YES I CAN.. I have HP's newest top of the line printer.. BUT please understand its not an ALPS printer.. IT IS DESIGNED TO DO LARGE FORMAT PRINTING.. ITS DESIGNED FOR SIGNS its designed to do wraps banners and more... SO when you ask me to PRINT your decals... YEP I can do it but remember im printing on 54" wide vinyl... and it takes about a foot of that vinyl or more at least just to print anything.. so a 4" x 4" decal I waste 54" x 18 inches or more.. THIS IS WHY I HAVE A MINIMUM.. please keep that in mind when you contact me for decals! Im happy to do it but there will be a charge for it!

MARK CAN YOU PRINT WHITE OR SILVER on CLEAR ?? i get this all the time.. the answer NOPE it takes a special machine to do that.. I could have opted for this upgrade when I bought my printer.. BUT it was $6000 more .. not a huge issue.. BUT it takes 6 more ink cartridges to do that at a cost of $200 each still not a huge issue BUT MAINTAINING those colors becomes HUGELY WASTEFULL white ink needs to be removed and shaken DAILY.. if not printheads DRY OUT AND CLOG costing thousands to replace.. IF YOU DONT PRINT WHIT THESE COLORS YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THEM 2 or 3 times a day. or again new print heads etc. THIS is why I did not purchase that kind of printer.. hope it makes sense..

OK i know i have gone on and on.. Im sorry I just wanted to get all of that out there...

SO WHATS NEXT??? give me a little time I WILL REOPEN THE DOORS PERIOD...

I am looking into a Thermal printer that CAN print things like WHITE chrome etc.. but it is very costly.. MY Large format cost $17,000 plus.. and it prints on 62 Inch wide bed... a thermal printer setup starts at $20,000 and it print on a 15" wide bed.. CRAZY I know.. BUT if you continue to support Stickershock... I think I can make that happen then at that point I can do about ANYTHING large or small in VINYL!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING AND UNDERSTAND what I am going through right now.. thank you for your support and patience... and sorry to go on and on.. but I think this information is VERY important to all my customers... past and future..

Please watch your e-mail.. I will e-mail when we are back up and running.

thanks again god bless you and heres to a better new year!

Mark and Marian..

Never fly Naked!

Thank you thank you thank you. Your explanation of the business end of things is awesome and should be well received by everyone who respects your work. You obviously are one of the rare ones who put their all into a job. I pray the New Year brings your family good health, happiness, and financial security.

Seems like demanding rocketeers are more of a PITA than all the other things going on. That should be a wake up call to the community. This is a hobby guys, have fun. Nothing should drive a man to place a hobby over the health and well being of his family.

This seems to be a trend, not sure when it started but it needs to end now. There are way too many threads demanding resolution to some issue. I can only imagine what nastiness is in the emails we don't see. Give our vendors a break, it's a hobby for them too.

Mark rules, has always done exceptional work for me and is a blast to fly with as well. I have flown his stuff at Mach 2.7 my paint blistered, but his vinyl stayed true.

This is the smartest thing on that list IMHO. Time = money. If you have a problem with Mark charging that you have a problem with yourself.

Mark, if you see this, I'll be praying for Marian. I have a dear friend battling stage 4 renal cell carcinoma. It is so hard to see your loved ones suffering. I hope you find peace and a swift cure.

Mark, the biz changes all sound great. My best to your wife as she continues to battle that evil disease. I wish you both all the luck in the world.

So glad that Mark cleared everything up. As has been stated, time is money and he is trying to help you help him help you. Good luck and best wishes.

Mark, if you see this, I'll be praying for Marian. I have a dear friend battling stage 4 renal cell carcinoma. It is so hard to see your loved ones suffering. I hope you find peace and a swift cure.
Mike... All. Our best. Cancer really sucks

Mark rules, has always done exceptional work for me and is a blast to fly with as well. I have flown his stuff at Mach 2.7 my paint blistered, but his vinyl stayed true.

That's interesting, really? I was going to avoid vinyl for a L3 Mach project because I would expect it to peel.

Latest posts

Back