FYI, Discontinued Quest Kits...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standard-size (18x70 mm) D motors would be enough to get me to go beyond the 18 mm C's that are currently the highest-power motors I can use. And I really have *no* plans to build anything with 24 mm or bigger motor mounts.

What does Quest make that uses 24 mm motors?

Originally posted by JRThro
Standard-size (18x70 mm) D motors would be enough to get me to go beyond the 18 mm C's that are currently the highest-power motors I can use. And I really have *no* plans to build anything with 24 mm or bigger motor mounts.

What does Quest make that uses 24 mm motors?
Nothing, because they don't make 24mm motors.

I never had plans to go beyond 24mm - My last 2 models have 54mm mounts. Oops!!! Seriously, a slightly bigger mount is not a bad idea, you can always adapt down so a 24mm model can be flown on an 18mm C motor say.

Out of curiosity, why is a 24mm D higher power than you can use but an 18mm D isn't? I thought it was only Germany that had a restriction on D power and bigger.

Originally posted by Daedalus
Out of curiosity, why is a 24mm D higher power than you can use but an 18mm D isn't? I thought it was only Germany that had a restriction on D power and bigger.

All of my rockets have 18 mm motor mounts, so I can't use anything bigger than 18 mm. I wasn't talking about any restrictions other than what I've imposed on myself at this point.

Prompted by a post on YORF, I'm bumping this thread to see if there's interest in updating the list of Quest kits.

(And wow, on the exact two-year anniversary of the/my last previous post in this thread!)

Originally posted by JRThro
Prompted by a post on YORF, I'm bumping this thread to see if there's interest in updating the list of Quest kits.
And that post being...

Bill Stine has given his approval for me to post OOP Quest plans on Ye Olde Rocket Plans. I'd appreciate it if anyone that has Quest kits that are out of production to scan up the plans, templates, decals and header cards for them and send them over. If you don't have a scanner, let me know and I can arrange to have Buzz Nau scan them for you. Thank you.

Here's a link that shows how we need the scans done:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

Yeah, I'm a bad boy...

In the mean time, might you post a list of exactly which kits are currently considered OOP and fair game?

And maybe, the ones for which you still need the info?

One you are missing from your list is the Space Clipper Product # 3004/3504. I'll start working on the scan today.

Originally posted by rokitflite
The problem with the Nike Smoke and the Big Rage is the nose cone. Being that it is the old mold from the MPC kit it is pretty much worn out and the sales on these kits does not offset the cost of a new mold. Lets face it, how many people outside of this forum know what a Nike Smoke is? As it is the original fin unit (with all of the fins in place and the plastic centering rings) is no longer made. I think I am most upset about the Icarus and the Nike-K.

yea, I went and bought a bunch of old Antares and Evaders to stock up on some of the weirder MPC parts (have to be careful with Antares since newer kits have a re-done fin can already).

Comparing the Antares parts to the original MPC part, you can see where the mold was getting worn.

I didn't get any of the Redstone fin units when I should have.

Originally posted by powderburner
Yeah, I'm a bad boy...

In the mean time, might you post a list of exactly which kits are currently considered OOP and fair game?

And maybe, the ones for which you still need the info?
This post will help you get started. A number of the kits on there are the newer "Quick Kits". The older non-quick kit versions of these are OOP as well. The older versions are probably easier to clone, but we'd like to get scans of all the versions of plans. Thanks, guys!

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=12563#post12563

Originally posted by falingtrea
One you are missing from your list is the Space Clipper Product # 3004/3504. I'll start working on the scan today.
Thank you, Tim! You can send the scans to [email protected] when you're done. If you think you're going to have many Quest plan scans, I can set you up with your own FTP area on my site. Just let me know.

Oh Lord! This thread was started TWO YEARS AGO!?!?!:confused: Funny, the new responses started on exactly the same dates as well... I was very confused until I read the 2004 part!:D

Originally posted by rokitflite
Oh Lord! This thread was started TWO YEARS AGO!?!?!:confused: Funny, the new responses started on exactly the same dates as well... I was very confused until I read the 2004 part!:D

Sorta like that movie about the lake house.

Back