FX Wilson Battery Box Build with pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry W

URRG Pres & Prefect
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Team. Last year our club got the FX Wilson wireless system. This year I wanted to make some battery boxes for them. Being the FX Wilson system came with Anderson connectors this is what we did. See the 6 posted pics.

Materials:

Bunker Hill plastic ammo boxes from Harbor Freight there $ 3.99 each on sale.

7.2 AH batteries from ebay they were 122.00 for 10 free shipping.

10 Anderson connectors from e bay 32.99 for 10 free shipping

10 female 2.2 mm 12 volt sockets they also came with the male plug on leads. 10.99 ebay free shipping.

10 ft of 10 ga silicone wire ebay 12.99 free shipping.

2 battery chargers Harbor Freight 4.99 on sale.

2 cans of none expandable foam ( The Blue Cans ) from home depot 6.99 each Note each can does about 7 boxes.

1 2 ft X 2 ft piece of 1 inch foam board from home depot 6.99

Yellow heat shrink terminals with double spades. 8.99 for 25 on ebay free shipping.

20 small brass screws nuts and washers.

We used a small piece of siding to space the Anderson connector from the box so the plugs will go together without trouble. We elongated the hole for the round rubber gourmet so it would conform tight to the two 10 ga wires once inserted. We used 1 inch foam just larger than the battery foot print so they were off the bottom and if I ever want to remove the battery I can run around it with a hack saw blade to free it from the side foam adhesion and lift it out. We put lock tight on the screws and used a large washer and 1 small on the back side. We put the 2.2 mm plugs in to enable charging. We took two chargers and cut the clamps off and affixed the 2.2mm plugs. I think that's it.

battery box 4.jpg

battery box3.jpg

battery box 2 (2).jpg

battery box 2 (1).jpg

battery box 6.jpg

battery box 5.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done! How hard will it be to remove the batteries for replacement?

Not hard at all. I already did one. I took an old battery and foamed it in. A couple days later I took a hack saw blade by itself and ran it around the battery down to the pink hard foam at the bottom. I turned it upside down gave it a tap on the floor and the entire block came out as nothing sticks to the plastic box. I then gently removed the battery from the pocket. I would probably just remove the entire block of foam toss it with the battery and drop a new one in and foam it but it is savable.

Can you show some pictures of how the battery attches to the the wilsonFX?

Well done Larry,

These look amazingly similar to the boxes that Dan Fox, the other half of Wilson F/X, built for our own use. About the only difference is that we used the PP-45 Powerwerx connectors rather than the SB-50's. Then we just plug in the charger directly to the same PP-45 connector.

Brad

Battery box - closed.jpgBattery box - open close-up.jpg

Forgot to add that we used #10 AWG wire. We make the wires for anybody who needs them for their Wilson F/X launch system.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson
Wilson F/X Digital Launch Control Systems

ps: 40 clubs now use Wilson F/X

pps: Also sold 18 single-pad systems with 14 of them being wireless

Back