Futuristic/Space themed LPRs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxley

Reaction score
Is there a web site that kinda caters to space themed LPRs? I really like that new Farscape rocket showed on TRF lately and have been looking for more. Have found 1 or 2 here and there, but not alot of choices. Want to stay w LPR for now! Skill level 3-4 ok.

Just not really interested in all the myrid choices for missles! Love scifi tho! Would love to see pics of your space themed LPR and where I can get them!?

Thanks bunches,
Pat

Caters... no. Has some listed, yes.

Go to EMRR and search on futuristic.

Enjoy.
Nick

All will be returning soon! [/B][/QUOTE]

Really, I just, literally minutes ago, move them to OOP along with my EAT kits.

Nick

Originally posted by EMRR
All will be returning soon!

Really, I just, literally minutes ago, move them to OOP along with my EAT kits.

Nick [/B][/QUOTE]
Well, look for a big announcement in September

You could try scratch building your own?
or kit bashing..but scratching is way more fun! :p

annother great source is The Spaceship Handbook,,chock full of drawings and the history.. a little pricey but If you ever get the book you can see why... It's a massive book,and the drawings are amazing!

I'm with you, Huxley! If you go to JimZ's site full of Estes plans, and cruise through any plans that have "Exotic" as the descriptor for the type of rocket, those are my favorites.

The Squirrel Works kits are great, high quality stuff. Shrox's stuff looks great, too - I just haven't bought any of his yet.

FlisKits makes a couple, with another on the way soon it appears.

This is one area of rocketry that lacks the attention it deserves IMO - exotic and fantasy modelling. And not just something with a whole bunch of plastic slapped all over it, either. Estes *used* to be good at it, and so did Centuri (the Outlander was a good start to a comeback for Estes, and the Renegade 2 stager was a fair attempt.) I guess the problem is coming up with a design that has both mass appeal yet is cheap enough to put together (parts, decals, etc.) that it will sell.

Originally posted by Fore Check

I guess the problem is coming up with a design that has both mass appeal yet is cheap enough to put together (parts, decals, etc.) that it will sell.
For me the problem is funding, I don't have the capital to do what I need.

And don't forget the Orion
orion_thumb.jpg

And the Snarky
Snarky_thumb.jpg

I was getting everything out to try to decide what goes to NARAM.

Here is most of my futuristic fleet.

All but two of them are Estes clones.

The F-16 looking thing in the bottum corner is my futuristic SF-16ish thing.

sandman

Another shot of the fleet...

Can anybody name all the clones?;)

The clones were all from plans on JimZ's site and JimZ's decals.

I do have more!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Another shot of the fleet...

Can anybody name all the clones?;)

The clones were all from plans on JimZ's site and JimZ's decals.

I do have more!

sandman

Hmmm....

Let's see:

Space Cruiser Excalibur
Dragon Ship 7
Centuri Spacemaster (nice!)
[I don't have a clue what the silver one with the boat tail and pointy nose is]
Argosy
Starhawk
X-16
Skytracer
USSF Fireflash
Falcon Commander
Starship Nova
Your scratchbuilt rocket

Don't you have a Starship Excalibur built from the 1968 free plan?

The Comando Cody rocket ...I really like that one..I remember the build on it..does it fly well?

Yoos guys get a "A"!!!:D

100%!!

Stymye even get's extra credit! The Commando Cody rocket flies really great but only on a D21-4...any ideas where I can get some more?

I have a minor problem with the Excalibur...no decals yet!:eek:

I actually got it out and was playing around with some decals I had but I haven't found anything I like yet.

It's all silver and I think I need an "Excalbur Sword" for the tail.

My "futuristic" Fliskit Tres need something too!

They are both going to NARAM!

sandman

Here's mine, on the left is "Buy Space bonds" from Peter Alway's "Little Book of Goofy Rocket Plans" from the NAR website and a 1940 Exploratory Cargo Ferry from JimZ. Lots of fun to build! loojack

I'd pay more for a nice kit that's patterned after any of Snadman's :cool: futuristic collection! I like number 37 from Stellar? Forces the best! There might be a Nemisis in there, X-15, and, of course, Flash! I built a Battlestar Galactic Viper once - flew a few times before the wings got broke.

I'll probably get the JX-1 kit next rocket pay period! Can I make it into NX-01 instead ? Earth's first warp 5 vessel? :D Did someone say they could print labels from their printer? How and where please!

Did i miss the Alien 8 on your site Shrox? Way cool rocket and I like the size of the B & C engines!

I'd like to see more interplanetary/intergalactic probes like the Alien 8. :cool: Or how 'bout a 2001 Space Odessy? Maybe me and Fore Check should do something about this niche?!

Still reading reviews. Thanks for the suggestions!

Pat

I *really* like the Centuri Spacemaster.....

Another King Kong Upscale in the works, perhaps... :cool:

Oh, and don't forget to take that *sa-WEET!* SS Cassiopiea to NARAM too - I'd say it qualifies as "exotic" too, wouldn't you?

Thanks for the link!

The Trident is cool! The Mars Snooper I & II, Starlab, Starship Vega (way cool!), Black hole space probe, Cassiopeia

OHH! The USS Andromeda is one I played with for weeks on end - it was that cool with the right imagination!
https://www.dars.org/jimz/est1273.htm
Probably the coolest rocket ever! Or maybe the Alien Explorer!

Built a Photon Distruptor too!

Well we (FlisKits) have the:

Triple Threat (3 flying saucers, 13mm)
USS Grissom
Drake
Corona
Stingray

Coming soon:
FarScape
[and some others... :D )

stay tuned!

*and*, if you like the Andromeda, you're going to *love* this, from LDRS

If you really want a scratch-build challenge, search for Roger Dean
art. He did the album (remember those?) covers for bands such as Yes, Uriah
Heap, Asia, and others.

Anyone up for attempt at a Yes <a href="https://yesworld.com/gallery/images/albums/Fragile.jpg">Starship Trooper</a>? :)

Here's a RD, that might be a bit easier-

https://cd.co.za/ramases/spacehymns_lp.jpg

Don't ignore other sci-fi artists with RD influences either. Here's
a cool example-

https://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=58605&genre=1

A trip thru the local bookstore sci-fi section can also be inspirational.

Good Luck!

Now, I need more money!

That's a huge Andromeda! I'd be scared to fly it - but that's what gives you experience I guess?

I do like the Roger Dean stuff - I'll have to do some searching. Altho, It'll be a while till I get decent at scratch building!

Thanks again for all these great ideas!

Pat

You can get a kit of my Starship Vincia design, that won the Fantasy Craftsmanship fun event at NARAM-41, from Balsa Machining Service.

len.

Cool design! Reminiscent of the rocketship in "First Spaceship on Venus".

Is there a web site that kinda caters to space themed LPRs?

LOL!!! I guess the answer to your original question is.

RIGHT HERE!

I just finished decalling (is that a word???) two of my "futuristic models and as soon as the decals are dry I'll give 'em a clear coat and post some pics.

They are both painted with automotive metallic paints so they NEED clear coat.

sandman:D

I have a Shrox Icarus. I love that rocket. Did a core sample earlier this year but I rebuilt it. The fins never break due to the basswood. I also have an Alien 8 that I'm waiting to build. Hey Shrox, glad to hear your going to re-release them later.

I highly recomend Shrox kits!!!!!!!

Originally posted by stymye
annother great source is The Spaceship Handbook,,chock full of drawings and the history.. a little pricey but If you ever get the book you can see why... It's a massive book,and the drawings are amazing!

I have been seeing commercials for the Thunderbirds movie opening at the end of the month. The critics have been panning the film, but it promises to have some great spaceships in it.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
I have been seeing commercials for the Thunderbirds movie opening at the end of the month. The critics have been panning the film, but it promises to have some great spaceships in it.

IMDB has the <a href="https://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0167456/poster.jpg">movie poster</a> showing a few rockets.

The top one looks like a spool lalligood might make. :)

Back