future L3 project. (long way off)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
After mwp11 I will start the planing for my L3 . This may be a year or more away . But never know what will happen . But will have done clustering ,staging and min dia done before I start . Will start talking to taps that is near me and start a plan . May do a kit . I know it up to me but want to do something that not everyone does
Open on ideas for a kit or scratch . Maybe someone will have a idea that I like
Thanks chris

Last edited:
What I was asking was . What is a good L3 kit ? Would do 75mm ,loc ,madcow ,pm ,etc thanks

Anything that makes you happy. Do you want to go all out on the flight, or do you want to do a simplistic Low and Slow on a mega rocket?

We need more details on what you like.

I would like low and slow , big fat rocket . I'm getting ideas but I think 6-8 hi flyer would be crazy . Had enough problems with the 4" with the fins . May want to do a big upscale . Ie a 8" rocket that's 4' tall big and slow . Or just go for it on a comp4 or like

Upscale 10" fat boy?

:)

THAT would literally define Low and Slow.

Yes the 10" fat boy . I was thinking of that . Build it DD . Now need to look for a nose cone

Yes the 10" fat boy . I was thinking of that . Build it DD . Now need to look for a nose cone

Chris, not meaning to knock you bud....but wouldn't it be worthwhile to get a Level 1 flight under your belt before attempting to design/build a Level 3 rocket? :confused2:

I admire your enthusiastic ambition, however.:D

-Eric-

Chris, not meaning to knock you bud....but wouldn't it be worthwhile to get a Level 1 flight under your belt before attempting to design/build a Level 3 rocket? :confused2:

I admire your enthusiastic ambition, however.:D

-Eric-

Nothing wrong with daydreaming, but much more than that, well let's just say cart and horse images come to mind.

cari_zps1dc77d97.jpg

I feel like these threads never end well.

1) Take your time.
2) Enjoy the time it takes.
3) Do what makes you happy.

and lastly...be safe.

Read the first post . and dont jump on to the bottom of the thread

Read the first post . and dont jump on to the bottom of the thread

I read it. L0 to L3 in "a year or more" is still pretty truncated. We obviously all read "a year." Took me 7 years (of eligibility) to get my L3. Not saying that is right or wrong, just that it takes time.

Can you post some detail pictures of your Mega Hi Flyer so we can get a feel for what you've accomplished so far? That might help.

Chris, I know it's not what you want to hear, but the best advice anyone can give you right now is slow down. You don't have any HPR experience (as demonstrated by not yet being L1), yet you're planning L1 & L2 at the same event, here in a few weeks.

You're already talking about Level 3.

You have a tremendous amount of experience to gain before beginning to plan a Level 3, especially if you want to have a good chance of success.

-Kevin (who has seen this many times, and has seen the typical result)

L0 to L3 can be done in a year, but not the way Chris is doing. He has not yet launch a single HP rocket. It's now only 6 months I'm in this hobby, I'm ready for the Lev 3, but I build quite few High Power rockets in those 6 months, I succeed in all my 10 DD launches until now. My L2 rocket was actually L3 class.

L0 to L3 can be done in a year, but not the way Chris is doing. He has not yet launch a single HP rocket. It's now only 6 months I'm in this hobby, I'm ready for the Lev 3, but I build quite few High Power rockets in those 6 months, I succeed in all my 10 DD launches until now. My L2 rocket was actually L3 class.

And actually, if I'm not mistaken, L3 in Canada only takes you to an L impulse, not M and beyond (which is L4 for you).

yes talking about something in the future . its something may never happen.no taps in the area . will post pictures when.im back in town.

yes talking about something in the future . its something may never happen.no taps in the area . will post pictures when.im back in town.

Actually Indiana Rocketry (Tripoli Indiana) has two or three TAPs.

Nothing wrong with dreaming. But realize that many ups and downs along the way will change those plans. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about an L3. Then I have a launch like last month when I wire my altimeter backwards and blow the main at apogee and have another delay drilled too far and it blows at burnout, and I feel like I have a very very long way to go. Then I have a clean day and the whole ride home is thinking monsters again. Dream, but enjoy the ride as well. Lots to learn and none of it can be done on the ground. :)

Yes for me I don't do anything unless I have it planed out . Ie the fat man kit . By the time I'm ready to start that kit could be oop . There is nothing wrong about planning things out . That's why I ask questions . But for some reason it thought I would start the second that I do my L2 . Like the time I Asked about building motors . Boy that was a mess . Some where thinking I was starting then with building. But getting informed about what to look for . Books ,supplys ,etc . I was told I don't have the experience to do that . That why I was asking questions . I know need to be L2 to be ex motors . But I have found the information that I need . I'm not one for something and not know . Will ask question when I do duel deployment ,clustering and staging . Hope it better threads . But thanks for some ideas

And actually, if I'm not mistaken, L3 in Canada only takes you to an L impulse, not M and beyond (which is L4 for you).

I was refering to L3 Tripoli or NAR since Chris was talking about L3 in US, I already have my L3 in Canada and even more as I pass my L3 E ( for electronic certification , 2 DD flights ) so to reach my level I made 5 flights of certifications.

<Totally not hi-jacking this thread mode>

I do more dreaming about L2 - I think it's a more realistic possibility for me. Every time I even think about L3 I get all confused. It isn't so much the rocketry aspect that I have trouble with. I'm just not sure which banks to rob. That's where I get stuck. I can't figure out how in the heck you guy's can afford all those M, N and O-my-golly.. I could take a nice two week vacation in the Bahamas for the cost of that motor! :jaw:

Here's a nice picture of my daughter Sabrina next to my BRD4.0 (Big Dumb Rocket - 4") It's ready for a J330 at MWP11. :)

</Totally not hi-jacking this thread mode off>

bdr4.0.jpg

Do not let any one tell you you can't cert L3 in a year. I did my L1 L2 in July 2013, L3 in August 2013, 2 months, and all where successful on there first attempts. Granted I was a L2 13 years ago and had to certify again after being out of the hobby for those 13 years. Keep things simple, do not try to push the envelope to far, plan, prepare, and get the help of some good TAP's and you will be successful!

Mark
TRA 5184

yes mark , you said the magic word plan . it like saving for rainy day in the desert (sp) i will not do.a L3 rocket for some time . lot of thing i will do before

Me and Alex (AKS) arent even 18 (we're barely 17), yet we have both gone through dozens of simulations, designs, and asked for tons of feedback. We have designed minimum diameter 75 and 98mm rockets and even things that simulate past Mach 3. You could call us overambitious, but nobody ever did. Why should Chris feel the heat when I never did?

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and Alex (AKS) arent even 18 (we're barely 17), yet we have both gone through dozens of simulations, designs, and asked for tons of feedback. We have designed minimum diameter 75 and 98mm rockets and even things that simulate past Mach 3. You could call us overambitious, but nobody ever did. Why should Chris feel the heat when I never did?

You lack eloquence. I was once an under-18 rocketeer, believe it or not. Your keyword is "simulate," don't confuse dreaming with results. Been there, trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting to think posting in the high power section needs to be an 18 and up proposition.

Back