CAD Software Fusion 360 alternatives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennant

podcaster, Realm Rocketry
Reaction score
Now that Fusion 360 is no longer free, what would be some good free softwares to replace Fusion 360 that have most of the Fusion 360 tools?

Either way what free alternatives are there to Fusion 360.

While it needs to be mentioned, it also must be admitted that OpenSCAD is not what anyone would call a conventional CAD system. It is a 'programmatic' system, where shapes are entered and manipulated by entering lines of code. The method appeals to some, and is highly efficient for some things, but is going to be totally obscure to most people. Totally free and open-source, and it is being actively, albeit slowly, developed. Simple to install on all platforms. OpenSCAD files for an object are simple text files. No limitations now or likely, ever.

A nose cone in just a few lines:
Code:
cylinder (d = 24, h = 12, $fn = 180);  // shoulder
hull () { // this command connects the following two shapes with a surface
    translate ([0, 0, 12]) cylinder (d = 25, h = 5, $fn = 180); // base section
    translate ([0, 0, 70]) sphere (d = 5, $fn = 90); // tip
} // hull

Capture.JPG

OnShape. Runs rings around Fusion360, lacks only the CAM functions, browser based, way fewer bugs. I hope they maintain their license posture (free at 100% functionality as long as you're OK with your files being visible). I dumped F360 last month and exfiltrated all my files...it twice generated toolpaths that would have crashed my machine if I didn't review carefully before cutting. Not going back even if the price is reasonable.

OnShape. Runs rings around Fusion360, lacks only the CAM functions, browser based, way fewer bugs. I hope they maintain their license posture (free at 100% functionality as long as you're OK with your files being visible). I dumped F360 last month and exfiltrated all my files...it twice generated toolpaths that would have crashed my machine if I didn't review carefully before cutting. Not going back even if the price is reasonable.

I've settled into using OnShape for the CAD and Fusion 360 for the CAM. I haven't seen any issues with their CAM yet. If you've dropped Fusion altogether, what are you using for CAM? It would be nice to find another free/inexpensive CAM package.

Randy

Mach 3 and Mach 4 are machine controllers - you have to feed them G-code from a separate CAM package. I actually do use Mach4 to run my mill. The makers of Mach also have what they call Mill Wizard ($75), which lets you generate Gcode for various common operations, but it doesn't import geometry from CAD. I've just started with a simple CAM package called BobCAM...it was about $150. Too soon to give a review on it but a fair number of people seem to be using it.

It works without the pencil but you spend a lot of time zooming in and out to get at the feature you want to work on. The pencil is the way to go. BTW, I'm surprised at how quick and responsive Shapr3D is on an iPad. There's a free version but it's limited; the Pro version requires a subscription.

I've spent probably 10-15 hours in FreeCAD since the announcement Fusion 360 made about changes to the personal license.
I've been looking for a reason to jump. I don't like that Fusion is cloud based, plus they can change and limit whatever they want when they want. Don't get me wrong, I am totally ok with that- it's their company, and they can do that, and don't "owe" anything to anyone by continuing to keep it free.
With that, FreeCAD is rough. It's probably the best option on the market for a true open source, parametric CAD package "like" Solidworks or Fusion. It's just not as intuitive. It is in active development, although slow. Given a blank document and an hour of time, I can accomplish much more in Fusion. Fusion is much easier to brainstorm and work out and change designs too. I think given some time, and more people jumping off Fusion could change that for FreeCAD though. I hope so.

I'll second OpenSCAD, but then again I'm a programmer by trade so it's second nature to me.

For Rocketry related items, it works great - most things are pretty much cylinders, and aren't very complex. However, if you're not used to reading code (especially reading it bottom to top), it can be a bit difficult to understand at first. And if you're picking up someone else's design who didn't put in any comments, good luck to you.

Thanks to all of you for responding with so many options.

I'll second OpenSCAD, but then again I'm a programmer by trade so it's second nature to me.

For Rocketry related items, it works great - most things are pretty much cylinders, and aren't very complex. However, if you're not used to reading code (especially reading it bottom to top), it can be a bit difficult to understand at first. And if you're picking up someone else's design who didn't put in any comments, good luck to you.
Are there some good tutorials for newbies/ begginers, that start at the very basic level and build up to more complex work?

Been able to get into a workable level at fusion but without the tutorial would not have been able

Are there some good tutorials for newbies/ begginers, that start at the very basic level and build up to more complex work?

Been able to get into a workable level at fusion but without the tutorial would not have been able
Not a tutorial, but I've tried to explain what's going on as I develop an OpenSCAD Nike-Ajax model.

I have never played with Fusion360, but I do a lot of modeling in Blender. Blender will allow you to do anything. It's a different workflow from what you might expect with software only focused on CAD, but check it out!

https://www.blender.org/
There are tons of add-ons for Blender some of which are more CAD-oriented. And Blender is available for all platforms, too. Linux, Macs, Windows.

Back