Funny quotes from rocket launches.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local flier likes to fly with multiple shock cords, parachutes, and the like. He flew a bird a few years ago with over 100 feet of shock cord and 6-8 parachutes. When asked how many he used, he replied, "all of them." It was hilarious at the time.

This one is at mil expense:

"That all right chuck, if it is broke enough, you can print another".

Gravity still works, and your build skills still don't!

Nothing that fat should ever move that fast.

It's bent a little in the middle. (someone close by) Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Andrew

Not generally funny, but a good and deserved jab at me:

"On pad X: Sandy's . . . oh, Sandy is still trying to light this motor. Anybody want to start a pool? Maybe proceeds could go to him to buy a newer motor!"

I can't remember the LCO that said it, but I earned it, trying to light an old motor 3-4 times. I think Chuck and Bridgett probably have thoughts similar at SC launches.

I remember one time that either Big Jim or Crazy Jim was at a launch in SC and kept burning igniters in a simple LPR, even though both guys fly big stuff all the time. After 2-4 attempts, he grabbed the rocket, checked the motor and it was a motor that was already burned. . . guessing on a launch he helped a kid on to get some more young people involved, most likely. Anyway, he said something that was not cursing or anything, but was launching as he walked back to the pits saying something paraphrased as "I'm such a dumb-dumb, been trying to light this cardboard three times." The best part of that one for me is that when a guy like me burns a few igniters trying to light an old motor or makes other mistakes I've made, its good to see an L3 have a hiccup and laugh at himself. More of us need to laugh at ourselves if nothing dangerous has occurred. I'm fine with being critical if something questionable happens, but my unlit motors and his unlit cardboard only caused a little delay and while I was very peeved at myself, the relief of the previously burnt Estes motor helped me keep it in perspective.

Sandy.

My minimum diameter carbon fiber mongoose on an Aerotech J510. Shortly after launch Rob says "Everybody say goodbye to the nice rocket"

I was expecting it to weathercock in 8-10 MPH winds with 4.07 cals of stability, it did not. Good thing our waiver is actually 16,000 ft ASL/15,400 AGL I think 14,810 will stay a club record until we get a bigger waiver.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me. After the first two attempts he said, On pad x we have my name going on some motor, or not. I was a little embarrassed. It went the third time. It's happened to me more than once.

Duh. . . totally forgot about this one. . .

"Oh no, not you guys again." - Great guy doing the check in at a local launch.

FYI, one of my rocket launch buddies flies ugly, but sound rockets quite often. We're often seen together even though I make zero attempt to associate myself with himself at any point, rocket launch or not. He's one of my best friends and will be for the rest of my life. The particular gentleman that does sign-in at a particular launch makes a point to hang his head when we sign in for the day and it is funny each time!

Great fun for sure. Not naming names, but a few know the names. The day I get greeted with anything other than "Not you again" will be the day that I stop launching rockets with that club, I hope and I hope it never happens!

Sandy.

When someone was launching an SLS model this summer: “At least this one will get off the ground!”

After a rather explosive recovery: "Go ahead and grab the bucket to help carry all the pieces." Or "I think part of the rocket won closest to the pad."

A personal favorite was when I flew the A.C.M.E. Spitfire in public the very first time (at a NARAM). Didn’t realize there were a bunch (40+) people standing behind me to see this contraption self destruct. Upon liftoff I hear a lone voice “son of a bitch is actually stable!” LOL

A personal favorite was when I flew the A.C.M.E. Spitfire in public the very first time (at a NARAM). Didn’t realize there were a bunch (40+) people standing behind me to see this contraption self destruct. Upon liftoff I hear a lone voice “son of a bitch is actually stable!” LOL
I imagine there were a few comments about the Caffinator during development as well.

Good to see you here again, Jim! Hope all is well!

Sandy.

The weekend I got my L3, I was nervous, but I gotta say, leading up to my certification flight there were a couple good ones....

I was trying to fly my Predator Jr on a H123 Skidmark. It took me two or three times to get the motor to light. After I got what would be the last igniter needed, I walk by Al Gloer, who says to me, " You going to fly it or walk around with it?".

The next day I got my Big Nuke 3E on the pad for my certification flight. Dummy me, forgets to arm the pads, so I made the walk of shame out there to arm them. While waiting for the LCO, Wayne Anthony, to come back to where I was, this guy, Joel Rodgers, stands next to me and seriously asked me, "Where's your nosecone?" I got seriously concerned thinking I somehow forgot the nosecone. I didn't. Where the pad was set up and a tree was behind it, at a distance away, and having a black nosecone, I was hard to see it. This guy could see how much of a nervous wreck I was, and he was trying to get me to relax. I had a fantastic flight to around 8800 feet and all nerves went away. I followed that flight up the next day with my other Big Nuke, which fooled Greg Gardner, on a K550. He thought it was the same rocket from the day before. In fact, all of my Nukes are painted identical.

Big Nuke on the K550 on that Sunday morning on the left. Big Nuke 3E on the M1500 for my certification flight on the right on that Saturday. Pictures courtesy of Neil McGilvrey.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535226044585.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535226044585.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1535226061057.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535226061057.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
Back