Functional Booster for K-50 Interceptor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKTurbo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a functional strap-on booster for the Estes Interceptor as shown in the original instructions?

I've seen these added as static display stands, but was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to try a funtioning one. The offset thrust would be a challenge, but canting the motor tube toward the center of gravity may help.

Micromeister....Tulanko....Sandman....Forecheck...et al..surely someone has tried this...

John

Actually I have "thought" about it for my 13mm powered version.

The problem is I want to delay the ignition of the sustainer but that's kinda hard to figure with the smaller scale.

Maybe with your 2.6" versions?;)

Actually I my original idea (which I kept to myself) was a dual motored Titan first stage with two strap-ons...way way too complicated...hmmm...it's doable in the BT-80 size...

Sorry - I wasn't aware of any booster on the Interceptor....

I could download the instructions later and have a look though...

The booster was just something in the plans for display with only pics for ideas.

The Interceptor may have enough fin area to not make canting the motors necessary (I say motors because with the booster pod in place, the engine in the sustainer tube would need to be canted as well because the center of gravity would not lie along the axis of the sustainer.)

Take the Fliskits Farscape for example. Offset tubes, yet stable.

Are you thinking a booster pod that would fall away and recover separately?

So how cool would that be Simon!

The booster would be more for effect (coolness factor). So I was thinking of a short burn 24mm....say a D12-0...The main ship would have a 29mm AP motor with a longer burn...ie F23 BlackJack.

The easiest would be to light both at launch and let the booster fall off as the sustainer keep boosting.

An airstart on the sustainer would be neat. Use a timer to get the sustainer going just before the booster lets go, but I've never done anything like that before.

Practical question on airstarts: What happens to the ignitor on an airstart? It has to be wired in (connected) to the timer/battery for ignition. The timer lights it off and the motor spews out the ignitor....does it then just dangle behind the rocket, still attached to the wiring?

I'd really like to try this on my BT80 upscale.

John

"Are you thinking a booster pod that would fall away and recover separately?"

Yeah...just like parallel staging. The booster pod would burn out and pop it's nose cone, releasing it and recovering on a streamer or small parachute.

On a BT80 upscale, you'll probably want more *oomph* than a single D12 can deliver to get it going - particularly with a 29mm reload installed in the sustainer.

It *would* be cool though....

:cool:

Originally posted by sandman

Actually I my original idea (which I kept to myself) was a dual motored Titan first stage with two strap-ons...way way too complicated...hmmm...it's doable in the BT-80 size...

It has already been done...with an Estes Gemini-Titan and two BT-70 SRBs, each containing a B14-0 motor. Good writeup in Model Rocketry Magazine, October 1970, I think. A copy of that issue was sold at the NARAM auction this year and went for more than I was willing to pay.

Bill

Originally posted by OKTurbo

The easiest would be to light both at launch and let the booster fall off as the sustainer keep boosting.

An airstart on the sustainer would be neat. Use a timer to get the sustainer going just before the booster lets go, but I've never done anything like that before.

I suspect that lighting both motors is the only way it would be stable. There might be a magical angle to cant the booster motor to liftoff on it alone, but I think that would be touchy at best. I would not bet my Interceptor or even a clone on it.

Bill

This Booster is just for display but I've been trying to off-set the thrust line enough on one similar to allow for 2 Micro-Maxx-II motors to be used one in the model and one in the booster. The Booster motor is all but touching the under side of the interceptor with a cardstock nozzle helping to protect the underside of the model. the booster will have it's own streamer recovery system and drop off at burnout.

OKTurbo:
Yes I try to put a quarter and/or standard size mosquito in all my Still pics for Scale:)

Back to powering the booster also. I ran into a small; no pun intended, problem last evening seems I mis calculated the amount of Offset in the booster mount centering rings making adding the nozzle all but impossible, this booster body and mount are now Toast. I'll recalibrate the recut this weekend.

Latest posts

Back