Fun with ChatGPT: Putting vast amounts of computing resources to work on important model rocketry tasks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Input:
Write a joke about a priest, an imam and a rabbi.

Output:
A priest, an imam, and a rabbi walked into a bar. The bartender looked up and said, "What is this, a joke?"

Input:
Write a joke about a priest, an imam and a rabbi.

Output:
A priest, an imam, and a rabbi walked into a bar. The bartender looked up and said, "What is this, a joke?"
Just heard one last night...

A priest, an imam, and a rabbit walked into a blood bank.

The nurse asks them what is their blood type.

The rabbit says I think I am "Type-O".

Oh wait - wrong thread...

I asked Bard: I need a list of parts -- with part numbers and suppliers -- for an 8 foot tall 6 inch diameter two stage high power model rocket.

Here is a list of parts for an 8 foot tall 6 inch diameter two stage high power model rocket:

Body tube: 8 feet long, 6 inches in diameter, made of fiberglass or phenolic. Available from Apogee Components (part number BT-806) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCT-806).
Nose cone: 6 inches in diameter, made of fiberglass or phenolic. Available from Apogee Components (part number NC-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCN-6).
Fins: 4 fins, 6 inches long, made of balsa wood or fiberglass. Available from Apogee Components (part number F-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCF-6).
Motor mount: 6 inches in diameter, made of aluminum or steel. Available from Apogee Components (part number MM-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCM-6).
Parachute: 6 feet in diameter, made of nylon or ripstop nylon. Available from Apogee Components (part number P-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCP-6).
Shock cord: 50 feet long, made of elastic. Available from Apogee Components (part number SC-50) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCS-50).
Recovery wadding: 1 pound, made of cellulose or cotton. Available from Apogee Components (part number RW-1) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCW-1).
Launch lugs: 3 launch lugs, 6 inches long, made of aluminum or steel. Available from Apogee Components (part number LL-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCL-6).
Electronics bay: 6 inches in diameter, made of fiberglass or phenolic. Available from Apogee Components (part number EB-6) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCB-6).
Electronics: Includes altimeter, flight computer, and telemetry system. Available from Apogee Components (part number EL-1) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCL-1).
Motor: Includes igniter and delay charge. Available from Apogee Components (part number M-1) or Madcow Rocketry (part number MCM-1).

Please note that this is just a list of suggested parts. You may need to modify the list depending on your specific needs and preferences.

Question: what caliber of stability is needed for a model rocket to fly stable?
Answer: The caliber of stability needed for a model rocket to fly stable is generally 1-2 caliber. This means that the diameter of the rocket's body should be at least 1-2 times the diameter of its fins. This ratio ensures that the rocket's center of pressure (where the aerodynamic forces push) is behind its center of gravity (where the weight is). This keeps the rocket flying straight and stable in the air.

Um, no.

Caveat emptor (or user beware): ChatGPT will not only make up "sources," but it will make up fake articles from real sources.

Oh, and when you ask it to come up with information or sources about "X topic writen by Y person," it will say it found some articles online, even though that person may not exist or if they do exist, they never wrote those articles. In other words, ChatGPT is now a pathological liar.

The ability to lie an make things up is the next step towards true AI...

Be scared. Be very scared...

Question: what caliber of stability is needed for a model rocket to fly stable?
Answer: The caliber of stability needed for a model rocket to fly stable is generally 1-2 caliber. This means that the diameter of the rocket's body should be at least 1-2 times the diameter of its fins. This ratio ensures that the rocket's center of pressure (where the aerodynamic forces push) is behind its center of gravity (where the weight is). This keeps the rocket flying straight and stable in the air.

Um, no.

Think of ChatGPT as Cliffy from Cheers.

Cliff is confident he knows everything.

Cliff is:
  • in his 50's,
  • working for the USPS,
  • single,
  • living with his mother
None of those are bad, when reviewed individually.
But when reviewed as a group... you should be asking yourself questions as to the validity of the data source.

Cliff is confident he knows everything.

Cliff is:
  • in his 50's,
  • working for the USPS,
  • single,
  • living with his mother
None of those are bad, when reviewed individually.
But when reviewed as a group... you should be asking yourself questions as to the validity of the data source.
It confounds my brain that Ratzenberger was only 35 when Cheers came out. I'm pretty sure he spent about 30 years of his life (minimum) looking roughly 50.

It confounds my brain that Ratzenberger was only 35 when Cheers came out. I'm pretty sure he spent about 30 years of his life (minimum) looking roughly 50.

Cliffy had a very stressful job before Cheers. Here he is with an AI chat-bot planning how to escape an invasion:

3P0andRatzenburger.jpg

Me:
What Are the Odds of Successfully Navigating an Asteroid Field?

ChatGPT:
As an AI language model, I can say that the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field depend on various factors, such as the size and density of the asteroids, the speed and maneuverability of the spacecraft, and the skill and experience of the pilot.

In reality, navigating an asteroid field is an extremely dangerous and challenging task, and the odds of success would likely be very low. In fact, the idea of an asteroid field being a dangerous obstacle to navigate in space is largely a fictional trope seen in movies and TV shows.

In reality, the asteroids in our solar system are widely spaced and their orbits are well-known, so space agencies such as NASA are able to navigate spacecraft through these regions safely. However, there is still a risk of collision with an unknown or unpredicted object, which is why spacecraft are equipped with instruments to detect and avoid potential collisions.

Last edited:
Back