Fun Weekend launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgamer

Reaction score
Hi all, I hardly ever post or comment, but actually took a picture this weekend, so here goes.
Took my kids out to the local school where we launch sunday AM, pretty light wind for our area, so we actually got to throw some C6-5's into some stuff.

I built a Hornet the past two weeks as a Scout Rocket test. I bought 25 of them (estes sale- $5 each) for our build this summer, and I always build one first to make sure all goes well. Launched it 3 times, B4-4, B6-4, and Finally C6-5. I must say- one of the truest flying rockets I've ever had. And the small 12 inch chute, it doesn't float off very far.

My 5 year old daughter launched her first rocket- she built over half of it with me- Flutter By. I'd never built or launched one of these. I must say- it flew well, and we found both parts of it. Although a fin broke off because it hit a rock on landing, but a simple fix. A8-3

Launched the V-2 twice on D12-3s. I think that's my favorite flyer. Slow, Loud, Kids can both see it great. easy recoveries.

I have several rockets I made from spare parts that we launched. One on a c6-5, to about 1000 feet and dual streamer recoveries- Red and reflective metallic streamers make for easy sighting.

Launched a few mini's- misquito, gnome, and then my Hawkeye, that I built about 30 years ago. This ended in destruction, the nosecone never ejected.

Also- our Maxi Alpha III, AKA Spiderman- the nose cone ejected, but the chute never came out of the tube. It Body tube darted, with the nose cone beside it. I'll be able to take the top Tube Off and replace it, and fly again, but my daughter was really upset that Spidey died.

Prolly 20 launches total. Fun stuff.dead rockets.jpg

Rocket launching with the kids is always a blast (pun intended). Sorry about Spidey, but then ... he died in the comics, too (for awhile, long story).

Rockets with the kids is great fun!

When my niece and nephew were really little, there were tears and sadness when a rocket "flew away", got stuck in a tree or got a boo-boo. They have now learned that rockets don't always make it home from a launch. They also now know that we can fix or replace them if something happens.

Jerome :)

20 launches....but only one photo?!? :y:

Seriously though - sounds like it was fun. Good for you. Hope to do the same thing with my kids this weekend if the winds stay away.

Back