Fun-scale 1:13ish four stage Black Brant XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd

Reaction score
Its too windy to paint my 2X upscale Strikefighter, and I don't have room to build my 3.18X upscale USS Atlantis until the strike fighter is finished so I decided to build a LPR Black Brant III from a bunch of parts I picked up at the LHS. My imagination got the better of me and I went this route instead because 3FNC just doesn't interest me enough to get me off the couch.

The fins will be card stock over built up balsa, and clear material on the top stage. Recovery via backsliding on first three stages and tumble on the final. Motors are first stage to last: 24mm (E size) to 24mm (D size) to 18mm to 13mm. The motor tubes use thrust rings to adapt down to the next motor and are vented for gap staging. I have reliably gap staged at 28" in the past so I have confidence in this setup.

Tubes are BT70, BT60, and BT55. The whole stack is about 50" I think but I didn't measure it but built by eyeball and a SWAG for stability in flight and recovery.

Untitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr

This one looks like a lot of fun. I assume you're going for the brightly colored paint scheme?

Black_Brant.jpg

Peter Alway

Its too windy to paint my 2X upscale Strikefighter, and I don't have room to build my 3.18X upscale USS Atlantis until the strike fighter is finished so I decided to build a LPR Black Brant III from a bunch of parts I picked up at the LHS. My imagination got the better of me and I went this route instead because 3FNC just doesn't interest me enough to get me off the couch.

The fins will be card stock over built up balsa, and clear material on the top stage. Recovery via backsliding on first three stages and tumble on the final. Motors are first stage to last: 24mm (E size) to 24mm (D size) to 18mm to 13mm. The motor tubes use thrust rings to adapt down to the next motor and are vented for gap staging. I have reliably gap staged at 28" in the past so I have confidence in this setup.

Tubes are BT70, BT60, and BT55. The whole stack is about 50" I think but I didn't measure it but built by eyeball and a SWAG for stability in flight and recovery.

Very cool project, make sure you get video of this one please.

I think all four motors will burn out in 3 seconds!

Yes I am going with that paint job, once I come up with satisfactory fins.

Back