Fun Launch Control Box Hack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NjCo

Reaction score
I came across this while searching for Christmas gifts and thought it would be the perfect thing to hack into a neat launch control box. It's got everything you'd need; arming light, key switch, two toggle switches and a big red button with a plastic flip-up cover. It's a bit expensive, I'm sure you could buy the components separately for much less. But it does come in a nice aluminum box. I think it also comes with some sort of sound effects although we kind of supply our own so that's not as useful.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/9116/zoom/

I modded one of those into a launch controller for a friend a while back. I would recommend installing a relay, as the switches are not rated for much current.

The USB hub electronics are on the same PCB as the sound effects circuitry, and the whole thing was powered by the USB port. I ended up ripping all the electronics out, as the SFX were not needed.

The LED indicator light on the front panel will need an additional series resistance to operate it on 12V. IIRC, it is simply a raw LED, operated from the 5V USB supply through the onboard electronics.

A cute hack, and a nice premade box. But you can do a bit better buying the components yourself.

I modded one of those into a launch controller for a friend a while back. I would recommend installing a relay, as the switches are not rated for much current.

The USB hub electronics are on the same PCB as the sound effects circuitry, and the whole thing was powered by the USB port. I ended up ripping all the electronics out, as the SFX were not needed.
(snip)
A cute hack, and a nice premade box. But you can do a bit better buying the components yourself.
That's exactly what I expected after looking it over (on the web). Thanks, Bob.

It looks neat, but one must ask: Is it worth 50 bucks when mostly all you get is the cosmetics, and then you still have the same labor required as wiring one from scratch?

OTOH, maybe someone should use this as a model for building one for sale. If folks will pay 30 bucks for an Estes controller, which just feels so cheap with its thin wire and poor tactile feel, then surely they'd pay that and maybe more for one that has 30+ feet of 18 gauge wire, a rugged feel and a real key, topped off with some cool graphics.

Back