3D Printing fume hood and/or dust filtering for SLA printing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at SLA printing. (The ability to print fine detail is alluring, even if not really necessary for HPR rockets.)

There appear to be two big issues though:
  1. the resins are sensitizers
  2. the optical systems are sensitive to dust
As far as the former, are you venting the resin storage area and printer while in operation or keeping it in a separate room and using PPE when you have to deal with it?

As far as dust, there is a lot of it in my shop, so it's not a good place for any 3D printer. Is dust an issue in normal environments? (I keep my FFF printer in a separate room because of the dust, but it also has a full enclosure and HEPA filter so odors are not an issue.)

The obvious solution for the first is a negative pressure enclosure with ducting or filtering, but that's going to make the dust worse. I guess the best solution is a separate room and a fume hood to handle most of the fumes.

I have an Elegoo Mars Pro that runs almost constantly.

It lives in the garage for now because it was warmer and it kept the odor at bay. Now that it's cooler it needs to be moved inside.

Both resins that I use for rocketry-related items are pretty smelly and do better in a warmer environment.

I've been slowly pondering a solution. I'm interested to see what your thread generates!

My Resin printer runs in my inside hobby area. Dust has not been a major issue for me. my printer has a couple small carbon filters that it draws air through from the chamber. I don't know how much it helps but I don't really notice it too much. As far as PPE I treat it the same way I do epoxy. gloves are a must. I don't wear a mask or goggles or face shield though. I wash my parts in a ultra sonic cleaner with mean green. after many washes I drain the tank, and add fresh cleaner. With the waste, I pour it into a thin layer in the bottom of a large flat bin, set it in the sun to harder excess resin and let the water evaporate out. I'll do several pours like this until the waste is all processed. as far as I understand at this point it is safe to dispose. I have not decided if I will throw it out or take it to hazardous waste.

Correct I believe it is as the Resin is cured out, but is is still kind of a green sludge with plastic bits in it.

Wow, I'm such a noob, I'm tickled to see the thread that I started quoted here! Someday I sure hope to try this out, and I like fine detail as well - for both Flying and static models. But I have a LOT to learn about 3D printing. I hope to retire later next year and so this is totally a bookmark. One condition of my retirement is continued off-hours access to some of the best software in the buiness, including Solidworks, ANSYS, etc, so... I'll be lurking and listening.

Back