Fully 3D printed rocket (3D design contest entry)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Martin

"That guy in the hall building a rocket"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, rocketry community!

c83ff7ba9b1737a5c181f94ea1766674_preview_featured.jpg

My entry for the 3D design contest is the fully 3D printed model rocket that I made from scratch. The only part that I did not make in the design are the motors, which are Estes engines (A-C).

Easy printing, small print size, durable rocket, easy to finish and put together! Files are attached.

Here are some photos of the project and it in action:

20180930_203934.jpg 20180930_204036.jpg 20180930_204503.jpg 20180930_204539.jpg 20180930_204854.jpg c83ff7ba9b1737a5c181f94ea1766674_preview_featured.jpg 9f992ee30af2acc013225662493f3395_preview_featured.jpg
The files are attached below in OBJ form, you can also get them directly from the Thingiverse link:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3041143

Storytime

The project came into mind during an engineering project I was assigned during high school. We were tasked to create something that encompasses our interests and do something that very few people have done before. This came at a time when I was a member of the Technology Student Association and was interested in participating in the student-built rocketry competition. With these goals in mind, I spent a month researching and prototyping the rocket, testing different types of engine retention and recovery attachment methods. After I was happy with the design, I took it out for a test launch. Off the rail it flew like an arrow, separating right at apogee (few hundred feet up) and floating light as a feather back to the ground. I knew that this meant it was ready for competition, so I entered in the Technology Student Association regional competition for student-built rockets. It fit the criteria perfectly as the max engine size we were allowed to use is an A8-3. During the competition, the rocket launched perfectly, there was absolutely no gyration to the flight and the separation and recovery was nothing short of nominal. The judges complimented me on the way it was designed and the way it performed during flight and said some of the best words I have heard in my life, "I am looking forward to seeing you at state competition". Needless to say, a month later I was ecstatic for state competition. Upon arrival, I was told there would not be any launches and that it would be based on previous flights, appearance, and design. Although I was disappointed, I still looked forward to seeing what the judges thought of my rocket. I dropped it off and noticed that there were dozens of other student-built rockets, some 3D printed just like mine, but I was confident in my work. A few days later the results came in, and as I picked it up in person, I was greeted by the judge and flooded by compliments. He stated that I should publish the design and that he will use mine as the example every year of what 1st place should be. I took up his advice and published it on Thingiverse a few months ago (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3041143). This project and the accomplishments it brought with it has certainly strengthened my dream of becoming an aerospace engineer and continue to design, prototype, and fly fully 3D printed or partially 3D printed rockets. In my opinion, this is the specific reason why 3D printing was invented.

Attachments

• 3D_printed_model_rocket.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20180930_204203.jpg
    20180930_204203.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180930_204124.jpg
    20180930_204124.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What kind of 3D printer you have ? I have been interested in getting into doing some 3D printed stuff.
I have a heavily modified monoprice maker select v2. You can get it for like $300 and it prints great. The upgrades I did just improved quality and other non essential things.

You should definitely get into 3D printing, it is a blast!

Get it from a store or online ? Upgrade are what , program downloads or factory refit parts to upgrade the standard parts ?
I got it online, Amazon I believe. Upgrades included 3D printed parts for the printer itself, such as supports and other items. They are all over Thingiverse. If you are just getting into 3D printing, I would recommend not upgrading it until you get more experienced. It is very fun to get familiar with your printer and know its capabilities and limitations.

Thanks so much, I will get it on Amazon. My son has a Prime account so we can save a bit on it and have fun together. Adult big Kid toy for us !
That sounds like a great idea! There are tons of forums and tutorials for it and if you need any help just let me know, I'll be more than happy to assist you. I have over 500 hours of printing on mine so far and it's still running like new. I have done pretty much every upgrade you can possible do it. Your son and you are going to have a blast with it!

Back