3D Printing Fully 3D printed model rocket with payload compartment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domagoj_42

Reaction score
Greetings,

for my school project, I made a fully 3D printed rocket with a payload compartment containing sensors (as can be seen on my post in the electronics topic). The design involves 3 fins, an engine with a screw-on cap to keep it in place. The top of the rocket is comprised of a payload compartment which is placed on the fuselage after the parachute is loaded. The payload is loaded from the top, and the nose is then screwed in from the top of the payload compartment (can be seen in the pictures I sent. The mass was about 150g, and flew up 50m with a C6-3 engine according to the pressure sensor.

I also use a 3D printed mounting ring to keep the electronics in place with some nylon screws. On the top of the fuselage there is a small ring to which the rope can be attached to connect the payload compartment. There are some shortcomings, such as the holes in the payload compartment from the rope attachment which need to be filled with hot glue or they might vent gasses from the ejection charge.

For the report for the school, I need to get feedback from other people, so any feedback would really be appreciated.

The full project is here, on Github (including Fusion 360 files, .stl files, slicer profile): https://github.com/domagoj-42/3D-printed-model-rocket-

Some pictures:
1611913963362.png
1611913855261.png
1611913910861.png
1611913941820.png
1611914294948.png
1611914335000.png
1611914377945.png

Attachments

• 1611913847149.png
    1611913847149.png
    43 KB · Views: 3
Great job!

did you print the payload bay with clear filament?

Great job!

did you print the payload bay with clear filament?
Indeed, I did. It was printed in clear filament so I could see the indicator lights from the various boards to know it is operational without having to unscrew the nose.

The biggest issue with this design is that there are not enough vent holes in the payload for a reliable temperature measurement (it heats up inside).

Looks good. You might think about improving fins for more height. Can you stuff a D engine in there? I just ordered a 3d printed rocket from ebay. Fairly inexpensive for 2 - 10 inchers at 14 bucks. It is rough and will need finishing. Comes in a pack of 2 with a listed print time of about 18 hours and 25 minutes for each. Empty weight of 54 grams, inside diameter at 24.25 so it will snug fit a D and should be fun. I think I'll give the Arduino or similar with sensors a try. I was working on a payload bay with a Pi Zero, tiny cam, sensors, battery and booster, but it was getting pretty heavy so I ordered a little thumb cam instead.

I really like the concept. Full 3d prints present a challenge with mid power motors and large.

Good luck.

Looks good. You might think about improving fins for more height. Can you stuff a D engine in there? I just ordered a 3d printed rocket from ebay. Fairly inexpensive for 2 - 10 inchers at 14 bucks. It is rough and will need finishing. Comes in a pack of 2 with a listed print time of about 18 hours and 25 minutes for each. Empty weight of 54 grams, inside diameter at 24.25 so it will snug fit a D and should be fun. I think I'll give the Arduino or similar with sensors a try. I was working on a payload bay with a Pi Zero, tiny cam, sensors, battery and booster, but it was getting pretty heavy so I ordered a little thumb cam instead.
I believe that with a little modifications I could increase the rocket engine hole to be sufficiently large to accommodate it, it is something I plan to do. Mind if I ask you what the camera you said you were working with was? I was looing for a tiny camera to no avail.

I believe that with a little modifications I could increase the rocket engine hole to be sufficiently large to accommodate it, it is something I plan to do. Mind if I ask you what the camera you said you were working with was? I was looing for a tiny camera to no avail.

Here is link to pi zero cam I was working with -
Zero Spy Camera for Raspberry Pi Zero : ID 3508 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I picked up a one of these but have not tested it yet -
USB Video Recorder Cam Hidden Camera U-Disk Flash Drive Mini HD DVR DV Pinhole 629822846049 | eBay

This looks like it might be better -
USB Video Recorder Cam Hidden Camera U-Disk Flash Drive Mini HD DVR Pinhole 2021 | eBay

Apogee has a couple usb cams listed that they recommend -
808 Keychain Camera allows you to take video onboard your rocket! (apogeerockets.com)

U-838 HD Video Camera (apogeerockets.com)

Here are a couple shots of my first 3d rocket project with raw and in process. I might send it up this weekend, but probably not.

IMG_7609.jpgIMG_7606.jpg

How did you make the coloring turn out like that? Also looks lie a great rocket. What are the dimensions?

A bunch of sanding. I will probably work on those leading edges a bit more. The fins are the most difficult. It stands about 273mm with cone, fin tip to tip 138mm. Tube is about 225mm itself and inside diameter is 24.25mm.

I just ordered a bigger rocket from the same folks on Ebay. I'm in deep now.

SPECS:
525.10 x112.17 x112.17mm
20.6 inches tall.
4.4 inches fin tip to fin tip.
31.0mm body tube diameter with inner-protruding "snug-fit" motor mounts to accommodate 29mm motors.
Altitude is dependent on motor size and type/class! We suggest G-size motors for best results.

Two rockets pictured in add. I guess it's the one on the right.

3D printed model rocket E, F, G-Class. | eBay

Stratus-G31.jpg

Back