Full Size Micro powered Arrow.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of my other interests is Archery. Been shooting since I was a youngster. full recurve no compounds though.

A couple months ago at the range I happened to notice the Arrows I was using were pretty close to Minimum diameter Micro Maxx body tube size.

I thought about using a Carbon fiber Arrow shaft for this model then decided against it for Safety and joining reasons.

The final design went with standard T2+ (.281") dia. Standard wall tubing 30" long. To make transporting a bit easier I'm splitting the shaft at 15" using a T2(.246") dia x 1-1/2" coupling.
Making the Nock on the aft end was a breeze cutting the body tube to mimic the item. My drawing show it being the same yellow painted color as the shaft but I intend to paint it either Orange or Red.
Used a FlisKit NCB-2.5AD Nose cone as a base for the Field tip adding 4.7g of noseweight.
decided to use real fletching feathers rather then Bass or Balsa wood to fit the model a more "Scale" Look.
At 31.25 inches long once painted and decaled I'm sure the MMX Arrow with likely be close to 16 or 17grams.
Should get a few Odd looks at Launches.

View attachment MM-4xxc_MM Arrow (Full scale)_rev. 08-19-14.pdf

MM 406uc01a_Parts cut and ready for assembly_08-23-14.JPG

MM 406uc01b_CloseUp Nock & coupling_08-23-14.JPG

MM 406uc01c_Field Point NC closeUp_08-23-14.JPG

Last edited:
Shaft has been primed, sanded and 2 coat painted with Yellow Rustoleum. Tip painted Rustoleum Silver Metallic.
when removing the blue masking tape from the Flight glue strips I seem to have lost my way. so decided to sand off the entire flight area re-strip the attachment lines and get our old Arrow fletching Jig down from the rafters to ensure these feather "fins" go on nice and straight. Hope to get to the fletching over the coming weekend. then I'll mask out the feathers and repaint the aft section of the Shaft with hopefully one more yellow coat.

Will take more photos and post to this post and further as we progress.

The MMX powered Arrow is complete:
have to say this was a fun project. got to use the Ol'e Fletching Jig my father make when we were shooting together in my youth (1960's). Sure made getting the curvey Feathers to go on straight a MUCH easier job. Should have used way less epoxy but wanted to make sure they were firmly attached.
Here are a couple working photos. I'll add the final Static photo with stats when I get the model down stairs.

MM 406uc02a_Using FletchingJig to apply feathers_09-06-14.jpg

MM 406uc02b_FletchingJig applied Feathers_09-06-14.jpg

MM 406uc03a_Nock Painted & Decals_09-07-14.JPG

MM 406uc03b_CloseUp Silver Field Point_08-07-14.JPG

MM 406uc03c_Close Nock & Fletchings_09-07-14.JPG

MM 406uc04_Aft end Fletching & Decals_09-07-14.JPG

MM 406uc05_Full .281 x 31.25in Arrow_09-07-14.JPG

Amazing! I can't wait to see this the next time I am at a NARHAMS launch.

John S:
Don't forget the Sept. 20 Narhams Annual Day/Night Sport launch is only two weeks away.
This is a very Special Sport Launch and One of our Clubs yearly Highlights!
Starts normal Sport daylight model and Night Vehicle Qualifying flights at about noon.

We'll shut the range down at about 6:00pm. Change the range over for Night flying (adding red lights to the Racks & away pads, and cylumes to the perimeter rope) then reopen for per-qualified Night flights starting about dust or 7ish flying until 9:00 PM or we run out of models (That almost never happens).

Note! If you want to fly a model during night time operations it must make an "All Up" night configured fight during the day well before the 6:00PM shut down/change-over. This is a Very Important Safety feature.

I hope to have the Conestoga-1620 Micro Clustered Scale, Astrobee-500 micro scale and Full Size Arrow for first flights during the daytime flying.
Not sure if i'm going to fly any of my many Night Vehicles as I'll be doing Night time Check-in Duty. We'll See.... I might bring my 2-Stage D-12/C6 Led Illuminated Flying Saucer. It's always a HOOT!

Last edited:
Very cool, my mom just got into archery, I wonder if she got any extra feathers :D

Very cool! Where you able to fly it on the 20th?

Yes I sure did:
The flight was not as good as anticipated, only getting about 10feet before the ejection charge went off while still going up. apparently I used to short a shock line as the charge ripped the stainless beading wire anchor loop loose from the 70lb kevlar.
No Damage on landing. I've already added another 24" of 70lb Kevlar to the shockcord anchor and doubled the crimp beads. I've also reduced the nose weight by 2gams so the new LOWt will be 16.6g. should make for a bit better fight next time.

MM 406Lp01a_Arrow (Full Size) on Pad 1st Flt_09-20-14.jpg

MM 406Lp01b_Arrow Countdown_09-20-14.jpg

I started to build a mid-power on the theme of a FOB-equiped arrow. Using a section of 1-gallon plastic paint can as the ring of the FOB fletching. Chickened-out and finished the rocket in traditional 3-fin. Someday.

Yer gonna put yer eye out with that thing.......

Nah!
Flew it again today after removing 2g of nose mass giving a new LOWt of 16.4g. she fly's MUCH better now getting about 20feet of altitude from a single MMX-II motor.
Sorry still didn't catch an inflight photo. will post the on-pad shot when I get them out of the camera.

Back