FSI Extravaganza at LDRS 40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
If the weather cooperates, I'll be flying a bunch of old FSI motors at LDRS 40, some from my collection and some graciously given to me by Chuck Rodgers (thanks Chuck!). I've got three Mach 1 Thruster/Dart stacks, a BT55-based three stager with F100's in each stage, a BT55-based F100/F7 two stage, an Enerjet 2650 clone going on three F100's, and just for kicks, a THOY Nighthawk going on seven F100's. I'd like to document my attempts here for posterity.

Let's start with the Mach 1/Darts. Thanks to Chuck Rodgers for offering me three F100/D20 thruster packs and a Dart. Per the thruster's instructions, fins were glued directly to the motor.

20220605_082050.jpg
20220605_083006(1).jpg

I pulled specs off the original Dart kit, put the parts back in the bag, and cloned it three times using ST8 tubing.

20220605_083900(1).jpg
20220605_083727_HDR.jpg

Per Chuck's request, I will attempt to get data from each flight. Based on a number of factors, I decided to go with the Perfectflite Firefly. Weighing only 3 grams with battery, it will measure altitude and velocity.

20220605_084436(1).jpg

I've never been a fan of flying F100's off of launch rods, so I threw together a tower. 48" of rigid guidance will hopefully ensure a straight flight path. That also means no launch lugs. If these things really do approach the speed of sound, I want to give them all the help I can.

20220605_084210.jpg

Attachments

• 20220605_083727_HDR.jpg
    20220605_083727_HDR.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great builds! Should be some great flights. I also got a couple F100-0s from Chuck (another thanks from me!). I'm planning to fly a 210% Upscale comanche-3. Here is a photo before external fillets or paint.20220603_194431.jpg
Dare I say it... drag race? ;)

I may also join in the F100 fun if time and weather permits. Nothing high-performance though.

DeeRoc29 and DabCat:

The rockets look great!

My intent was "free to a good home". These FSI motors are definitely going to good homes.

Others, enjoy the flights! They'll of course be announced over the PA at LDRS.

Charles E. (Chuck) Rogers

Let's start with the Mach 1/Darts. Thanks to Chuck Rodgers for offering me three F100/D20 thruster packs and a Dart. Per the thruster's instructions, fins were glued directly to the motor.

View attachment 521826
View attachment 521827

I pulled specs off the original Dart kit, put the parts back in the bag, and cloned it three times using ST8 tubing.

View attachment 521828
View attachment 521831

Per Chuck's request, I will attempt to get data from each flight. Based on a number of factors, I decided to go with the Perfectflite Firefly. Weighing only 3 grams with battery, it will measure altitude and velocity.

View attachment 521832

I've never been a fan of flying F100's off of launch rods, so I threw together a tower. 48" of rigid guidance will hopefully ensure a straight flight path. That also means no launch lugs. If these things really do approach the speed of sound, I want to give them all the help I can.

View attachment 521833
You have it easy.

When I was living in Las Vegas in the early 1990s myself and some other rocketeers had a 'Velocity Trials' event.
There was no small on-board electronic unit available so we had to fly at night out in the desert away from Las Vegas.
We used two film cameras set up 90 degrees from each other, one with a rotating disc in front of it with a known RPM rate.
Had to get the film developed then analyze it to determine the velocities reached.

I flew a FSI Mach 1 Dart with Thruster Unit.
The second stage didn't light but a review of the photographic data determined that the F100 motor got the rocket to a maximum velocity of 460 MPH.

My way is easier, but yours makes for a better story. Hopefully I can get the sustainer to light and we see 700+mph.

Got off one of the Darts today. Successful flight all around! Video coming.

Mach 1 Dart #1 Ignition.png
D20 ignition.png

Firefly reported 4011 ft. peak altitude and 2644 MPH peak velocity. The altitude figure is believable. The velocity figure is not, though it may indicate that the baro unit was fooled if the rocket entered the transonic region.

I saw it! Beautiful flight. Where are you located? I would like to stop by for a chat.

Eric, you missed a nice explosion on the pad. Chuck and I are diagnosing the wreckage now.

5 burned nominally. Two split open. Anyone get a good shot of the boom?

The Nighthawk will be rebuilt...for the umteenth time. Hey, it's hot out here. Milla' time.

View attachment 522505
It looked great! Fun for us, though maybe not fun for you. I know someone who got a video. I'll have him send it to me after the event.

It looked great! Fun for us, though maybe not fun for you. I know someone who got a video. I'll have him send it to me after the event.

Did you fly your Comanche yet?

Last edited:
Did you fly your Comanche yet?
Not yet. I was having trouble with my Eclipse and spent too long prepping that. I decided it would be smart to wait and stop by your place again so you could help me prep the motors. I did get everything mounted, so just motor prep and it's ready to fly. I'm hoping tomorrow before 7.

Not yet. I was having trouble with my Eclipse and spent too long prepping that. I decided it would be smart to wait and stop by your place again so you could help me prep the motors. I did get everything mounted, so just motor prep and it's ready to fly. I'm hoping tomorrow before 7.
Come by when youre ready!

Sadly, I didn't end up flying my Comanche. I decided not to risk it with how bad the winds were in the morning. My first flight ended up taking over an hour to actually fly due to both ignitor and altimeter issues in addition to long wait times. I plan to fly them the next time I'm out, which shouldn't be too far off. This way, I'll be better prepared. I'll have a tower for it and I'll have it painted. It was a pretty rushed job, so it would be nice to have some extra prep time. I will also get some pad shots and a good slow-mo with a closeup camera.

I'm taking extra precautions with storing these so they stay nice. I plan to vacuum seal them and put them in an insulated box. Any additional tips for storing them well?

Chuck and Derek, I'll let you know when I plan to fly them if you're interested in watching. I will deffinately be out there some time in September, but I will hopefully fly them sooner. I also have a couple F7 motors that I will fly as sub minimum diameters with a tracker and a firefly. I may do a separate build thread for this, as it may be helpful to others.

I managed to snag a picture of the first Dart flight.
DSC06404.JPG

Thought I'd share some more follow up. I flew thirteen F100's at LDRS. Out of those, eleven worked nominally and two split casings. Chuck and I did two Mach 1/Dart attempts: the first worked great but the second failed to light the sustainer. I got the sustainer back intact and will whip up another F100 booster and try again another day. I'd really love to get all three Dart stacks up in the air and compare altimeter data from all three. Based on the results from the first good two stage flight, I think it's safe to surmise that Mach 1 is possible under optimal conditions. No sonic boom was reported, however. 😆

My F100/F7 two stager flew Friday morning. The F100-0 booster worked fine but the F7 didn't light. I never got the chance to attempt the three stager.

Here are some mediocre pics and video of my Enerjet 2650 clone. F100-8's worked great and delay was right on.

20220609_121217(1).jpg

Screenshot_20220620-073553(1).png

Last edited:
Back