• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Fruity Chute Iris Ultra 60" Compact Parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A5tr0 An0n

Reaction score
SOLD!

Here is a never used, basically new, never even taken out of the bag 60" fruity chute Iris Ultra Compact parachute! This originally sales for $225; I am asking $160 shipped! Great deal.

Copied from the website:
Type: Ultra Compact Toroidal (Annular)
Bridal: 1/4" Kevlar, no swivel
Shroud Lines: 400# Spectra
Weight: 6.8oz
Packing Volume: 3.9d x 3.2l: 38.2in^3
Rating: 19lb @ 20fps
Cd of 2.2!
Number of Gores: 12
Colors: Standard is two colors alternating. Specify custom colors for other patterns, up to three colors max.
Top loop included for use with deployment bags

Here is the original webpage:
https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/iris-ultra-compact-chutes-c-18/iris-ultra-60-compact-parachute-19lbs-20fps-12lbs-15fps-p-142.html

IMG_1556.jpgIMG_4350.jpgIMG_9872.jpg

Last edited:
thank god my PayPal is still locked up ><

Hey Dave, mine too.

Rant to follow.

They locked mine up when I tried to send $3.50 for shipping to someone. Now they insist on me providing photo ID and a utility bill. I said no way, I have verified two personal bank accounts, several credit cards and my cell phone, and I have been a member in good standing since 2009. I asked them why the extra step and they simply said "it is the law", so I said okay fair enough what law and can you tell me the thresholds I have surpassed that necessitate this extra step...that was met with crickets!

I have since tried to close my account and they say "sorry we cannot close your account unless you provide the information we requested" Quite frankly I believe this is highly unethical. It is the typical crap you see with small friendly, bend-over backwards, grassroots start-ups that turn into large corporations who hide behind policy and no one on the front line is authorized to do anything except quote you the same policy as the last person.

Hey Dave, mine too.

Rant to follow.

They locked mine up when I tried to send $3.50 for shipping to someone. Now they insist on me providing photo ID and a utility bill. I said no way, I have verified two personal bank accounts, several credit cards and my cell phone, and I have been a member in good standing since 2009. I asked them why the extra step and they simply said "it is the law", so I said okay fair enough what law and can you tell me the thresholds I have surpassed that necessitate this extra step...that was met with crickets!

I have since tried to close my account and they say "sorry we cannot close your account unless you provide the information we requested" Quite frankly I believe this is highly unethical. It is the typical crap you see with small friendly, bend-over backwards, grassroots start-ups that turn into large corporations who hide behind policy and no one on the front line is authorized to do anything except quote you the same policy as the last person.

Yea. I had several attempts to log into my account out of CO one morning, so I'm partially glad they locked me down. But they're making it a pain in the ass to turn back on, and after sending in photo ID, I shouldn't have to call and harass them to get things straight. I've had an account since they started doing business in the late 90's. On one hand is was nice and easy back then....on the other i understand the difficulty of keeping things secure with the volume of fraud and hacks.... I'm torn how to proceed.

Hey guys congrats...hey does Gene charge extra to pick your colors? I think you get color choices for FREE??

No extra charge for color choice but it can take 6-8 weeks for custom color.

At checkout, if you select that you do not want to allow him to substitute for stock colors and select, "No - I need these exact colors. This can add 4 weeks to ship. (+$22.50)," then he obviously charges you.

Yea. I had several attempts to log into my account out of CO one morning, so I'm partially glad they locked me down. But they're making it a pain in the ass to turn back on, and after sending in photo ID, I shouldn't have to call and harass them to get things straight. I've had an account since they started doing business in the late 90's. On one hand is was nice and easy back then....on the other i understand the difficulty of keeping things secure with the volume of fraud and hacks.... I'm torn how to proceed.

My scenario is a bit different. I did not have any nefarious activity reported on my account, no complaints, nor am I a merchant that receives payments. I simply use my verified credit cards or bank accounts to pay for the occasional goods on-line, probably on an average of $3,500-$4,000 per year. It is also important to note that none of my credit cards or bank accounts ever refused to pay or reported any nefarious activity or concerns to PayPal. PayPal simply locked my account, apparently randomly, and will not support their claim that it is a legitimate request.

At checkout, if you select that you do not want to allow him to substitute for stock colors and select, "No - I need these exact colors. This can add 4 weeks to ship. (+$22.50)," then he obviously charges you.

I literally have about 2 dozen Fruity Chutes and Gene has been very good with turn-around on the custom colours. I think the longest time I waited was about 6 weeks.

If anyone is looking to purchase a new one from Gene, then consider this. Pay the extra for the compact version, it will provide more options. I have air frames where the standard packing chute does not fit, but the compact version will.

Does Gene have a chart / webpage comparing / contrasting the three toroidal variants? It's basically S, XS, XXS but I'd like to be able to link to them quickly if possible.

Does Gene have a chart / webpage comparing / contrasting the three toroidal variants? It's basically S, XS, XXS but I'd like to be able to link to them quickly if possible.

I have not found anything on one page to go over the differences, just this which is high level

https://fruitychutes.com/parachute_recovery_systems/iris_ultra_parachutes.htm

Below is a copy/paste of the descriptions for all three Iris models:

Iris Ultra Standard Chutes https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/iris-ultra-standard-chutes-c-29/

Fruity Chutes - Iris Ultra Standard All Nylon Chutes, 36" to 192"
NOTICE: When you order custom color chutes please let us know when you need your chute, we will try and work with you and your schedule. Most orders ship three to four weeks ARO.
The Iris Ultra standard chute is ideal for applications like rocketry where weight may not be as critical. These chutes feature a toroidal shape which results in a Cd of at least 2.2! This means you can use a size smaller chute for the same load carrying performance. Said another way the Iris Ultra 72" will out perform the elliptical 84 Custom, and the Iris 84 will out performance the elliptical 96. Not only that but due to the way the canopy is shaped these chutes have less material in there canopy compared to the same size elliptical chutes. We carry stock colors for all chutes in Red / White, Yellow / Black, or Orange / Black and sometimes others. Or you can order custom color chutes, lead time is about 5 weeks.
Iris chutes feature:

• [*]Lightweight 1.1oz Mil-spec calendared ripstop nylon - chutes are compact and lightweight
    [*]Nylon IIIa Paraline shroud lines for strength at lower cost
    [*]Toroidal design (donught shape), optimal for high drag and minimum material and weight
    [*]Choose your size, from 30" up to 192" (16')
    [*]Include a top loop for use with deployment bags
    [*]Your choice up to three colors and your pattern
  • Chutes are designed to be as compact as possible to fit into small spaces

Iris Ultra Compact Chutes https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/iris-ultra-compact-chutes-c-18/?zenid=95qZLVhyvt1zgLN13ifyS2

Fruity Chutes - Iris Ultra Compact Chutes with Spectra Shroud Lines, 30" to 192"
NOTICE: When you order custom color chutes please let us know when you need your chute, we will try and work with you and your schedule. Most orders ship three to four weeks ARO.
The Iris Ultra compact chutes raise the bar on parachute performance vs weight. These chutes use Spectra shroud lines to lower weight as much as 30% over the standard chute of the same size. The compact chutes are ideal of all UAV applications, or any other application where weight and packing volume are critical. All the Iris chutes feature a toroidal shape which results in a Cd of at least 2.2! This means you can use a size smaller chute for the same load carrying performance. Said another way the Iris Ultra 72" will out perform the elliptical 84 Custom, and the Iris 84 will out performance the elliptical 96. Not only that but due to the way the canopy is shaped these chutes have less material in there canopy compared to the same size elliptical chutes. We carry stock colors for all chutes in Red / White, Yellow / Black, or Orange / Black and sometimes others. Or you can order custom color chutes, lead time is about 5 weeks.
Iris chutes feature:

• [*]Lightweight 1.1oz Mil-spec calendared ripstop nylon - chutes are compact and lightweight
    [*]Toroidal design (donught shape), optimal for high drag and minimum material and weight
    [*]Spectra shroud lines. Standard is our custom 400# Spectra Nanoline. Optional 725# flat Spectra Nanoline.
    [*]Choose your size, from 30" up to 192" (16')
    [*]Include a top loop for use with deployment bags
    [*]Your choice up to three colors and your pattern

Iris Ultra Light Parachutes https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/iris-ultra-light-parachutes-c-30/

Fruity Chutes - Iris Ultra Light Chutes with Spectra Shroud Lines, 36" to 96"
The Iris Ultra light chutes are designed to be as light weight as possible for Drone, Multicopter, and other weight and size critical applications. These chutes use 200# Spectra shroud lines to lower weight as much as 30% over the standard chute of the same size. The SUL parachutes use a new 0.66 oz Nylon Rip-stop fabric to lower weight even more. All the Iris chutes feature a toroidal shape which results in a Cd of at least 2.2! This means you can use a size smaller chute for the same load carrying performance. We carry stock colors for all SL chutes in Red / White, Yellow / Black, or Orange Black. SUL chutes are Orange / Black, or Orange / White.

Iris chutes feature:

• [*]SL chutes use lightweight 1.1 oz Mil-spec calendared ripstop nylon - chutes are compact and lightweight
    [*]SUL chutes use ultra-lightweight 0.66 oz ripstop nylon
    [*]Spectra shroud lines use custom 200# Spectra Nanoline
    [*]Choose your size, from 30" up to 96" depending on the model
    [*]SUL chutes include a top loop for use with deployment bags

He must have changed his policy. He made mine to order. No added fees but it did take 8 weeks.

Back