Front Page of Today's WSJ (FYI)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing you've never been in the Wildman trailer...
No, I haven't. I've been in the previous Chris' Rocketry Supplies trailer (I just read he got a new one and had it at NSL west), and I've been in the one that Bob Grossfield has used for Sun River Nature Center, and one or two others.

But in 2004, when that article was written? That's what I was reacting to. I certainly didn't realize (and still have a hard time wrapping my mind around) that one could walk into hobby store and buy a bunch of motors that averaged the amount of propellant in a J motor then — or now, for that matter.

Last edited:
No, I haven't. I've been in the previous Chris' Rocketry Supplies trailer, and I've been in the one that Bob Grossfield has used for Sun River Nature Center, and one or two others.

But in 2004, when that article was written? That's what I was reacting to. I certainly didn't realize (and still have a hard time wrapping my mind around) that one could walk into hobby store and buy a bunch of motors that averaged the amount of propellant in a J motor then — or now, for that matter.

The same is true in other hobbies. I saw a customer in Bass Pro Shop but 4 cans of different smokeless powders. I am not sure when it makes someone raise an eye brow.

Then again, I got a metal ammo can with a large number of 9mm rounds from Sportsman's Guide. No questions were asked but I probably got added to a list.

No, I haven't. I've been in the previous Chris' Rocketry Supplies trailer, and I've been in the one that Bob Grossfield has used for Sun River Nature Center, and one or two others.

In 2003 at the Al's Hobby outdoor and trailer display Tim was selling from was huge, this was at the Three Oaks Michigan Team One rocket launch.

It was like going back in time to the Danville Dare II/III launches in '89/90

By the way, there is more to this story about then what happened during the tests the J570s were bought for. Hopefully someone else can tell that part 😂

By the way, there is more to this story about then what happened during the tests the J570s were bought for. Hopefully someone else can tell that part 😂
That would be interesting to hear.

Also, it looks like that old story is about going to the one place one could walk up and buy a bunch of J motors in the country at the time....a nuance I clearly didn't appreciate. So I'll stop harping on that point now.

"Most of the people involved in these activities are harmless fanatics and nerds," says one federal law-enforcement official.

Who pays your salary... G-man?

Personally, I don't care about the 'nerd' moniker. It just means someone who is into science.

As far as 40 motors with a total of 60 lbs of propellant, did the writer mean ounces? That would make a lot more sense.

"Most of the people involved in these activities are harmless fanatics and nerds," says one federal law-enforcement official.

Who pays your salary... G-man?

That is what the local ABC agent told me.

Personally, I don't care about the 'nerd' moniker. It just means someone who is into science.

As far as 40 motors with a total of 60 lbs of propellant, did the writer mean ounces? That would make a lot more sense.
That purchase wasn't the one that lead to the incident where the ATF burned up a rental van?

Back