From the "I Just Had it in My Hand a Few Seconds Ago" Department

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This happens far more often than I want it to.

I am using something. I put it down. A moment later I need it but it is nowhere to be found.

Seriously? I was JUST USING IT A FEW SECONDS AGO!

Where is the plastic baggy with 400 grit sandpaper in it? It was RIGHT HERE. On the workbench. I swear.

Are there any organizational tips you folks can give me to prevent me from swearing each time I try to work on a rocket?

The traditional way to avoid wasting effort by losing track of stuff is to set up the workbench with a specific place to store every tool close to where it's likely to be needed. Then train yourself to always put everything back in it's assigned place every time you set it down. There's probably some technical term for this technique because it's used in industry a lot, but I don't know what it is.

On the other hand, if you just want to prevent yourself from swearing either keep something in your mouth when you work or keep a three-year-old who likes to quote things back to you nearby.

The traditional way to avoid wasting effort by losing track of stuff is to set up the workbench with a specific place to store every tool close to where it's likely to be needed. Then train yourself to always put everything back in it's assigned place every time you set it down. There's probably some technical term for this technique because it's used in industry a lot, but I don't know what it is.
Mise en place? :)

I am using something. I put it down. A moment later I need it but it is nowhere to be found.

Where is the plastic baggy with 400 grit sandpaper in it? It was RIGHT HERE. On the workbench. I swear.

Are there any organizational tips you folks can give me to prevent me from swearing each time I try to work on a rocket?
I had a ton of tips...only now I can't remember what they were. :rolleyes:

When I rebuilt 4 barrel carburetors, I would sit on the floor and put the disassembled parts in a semicircle in front of me. I did this in order, so when I re-assembled, I would go in order. I never would move, but was still able to lose tools without even standing up.

I've accepted this phenomenon.

On the other hand, if you just want to prevent yourself from swearing either keep something in your mouth when you work or keep a three-year-old who likes to quote things back to you nearby.
my early years, I worked as a mechanic in a bike shop (pedal, not motor)
By the end of the day, there were no tools left on my tool rack, they were strewn across the work bench. I soon got into the habit of putting tool away after the job / the task / when they are no longer needed.

It takes practice & discipline, but it does soon happen / become habit; that you have only 3 or 4 items / tools to keep track of.

You have a plastic baggie with 400 grit sandpaper in it? Well organized. I have a plastic baggie with lots of grit sizes. Now, where did I leave that Exacto knife?

Don't EVER put anything down "temporarily" in a spot which isn't obvious nor usual.

Two recent Examples:
#1) I lost my thermos cup for a day...kept looking everywhere usual and fairly unusual. Eventually I turned off the lights in the last rooms I had it and used a flashlight...it was on top of the toilet tank! I had put it down there to open the bathroom window in the morning after waking up (groggy).

#2) Next day... lesson learned!
My wife told me to put the leftover sandwich in the fridge as I went to the kitchen to wash my cup (hands full) to make my noon coffee. I made sure to put the sandwich down on the same spot I put down my coffee cup as I open the fridge to get milk so I wouldn't forget and started washing said cup. Wife comes in as I'm washing and distracts me with "why did you/didn't you do this?!?" and then says "...and you forgot to put away the leftovers!". I said I was going to, but she had distracted me, however I wouldn't have forgotten since I placed it right where I add milk to my about to be made coffee! 😁

Just embrace it and make it part of the joy of building.

When something goes missing on your bench count loudly to ten as fast as possible, holler out "ready or not here I come!!!" and commence the search with a weird grin on your face.

Doesn't really help, but it keeps folks from bothering you when you are at the bench...

You have a plastic baggie with 400 grit sandpaper in it? Well organized. I have a plastic baggie with lots of grit sizes. Now, where did I leave that Exacto knife?
You keep your sandpaper in baggies?
I just have a drawer, and I have to sort through it each time.

In my defense, I only have a few grits available.

my early years, I worked as a mechanic in a bike shop (pedal, not motor)
By the end of the day, there were no tools left on my tool rack, they were strewn across the work bench. I soon got into the habit of putting tool away after the job / the task / when they are no longer needed.

It takes practice & discipline, but it does soon happen / become habit; that you have only 3 or 4 items / tools to keep track of.

You've apparently not run across a disorganized wierdo like me.

Thanks for all your work. All I can do is try to do better.

Last edited:
I try to be organized. I put my tools away when I'm done with them. I put them back where they came from. In my garage are many 30 gallon tubs where things are stored. Each tub has a label that tells what's in it. I have places for each type of thing. Such as my rocket stuff is always in the same place. There is a place for chemicals, ammo, shooting related stuff, nuts , bolts etc. Now the reality is I have walked into a room and not known why I was there. I can forget things going from one room to another. I write notes and forget the notes. Since I'm retired I sometimes forget what day of the week it is and what time it is. We have a 4' x 3' year long calendar that we put our appointments on or we would forget them. My wife will tell me something and I'll forget it a minute later. Now I still lose things all the time. I'm missing 2 tape measures I haven't found in a year. I can have something in my hand one moment and the lose it the next. I have misplaced keys, glasses, exacto knives, pens and many other things. The two worst misplacements were my shoulder bag and a .22 pistol. I was going somewhere in the Explorer only to open the door and no bag. I have had that bag for ten years. It is full of stuff I might need on a day to day basis. Pepper spray, stun gun, meds, flashlight and so on. I looked for it for a week. I finally decided it had been stolen out of the Explorer. The Mustang has automatic locks. It will lock itself in 30 seconds. The Explorer doesn't. I kept forgetting to lock it. When I was searching for it I looked in the cars and all through the house and garage. I bought another one and bought all the stuff that was lost. A month later I needed something from the back seat of the Mustang. I opened the door moved the seat back forward and there was my bag. I looked in the car before but hadn't looked on the floor behind the drivers seat. What a relief. Now I have two bags. The pistol I had in my hand and was going to put it away. A couple of days later it is not where it was supposed to be. Searched high and low. Looked in places I knew it wasn't. I knew it was in the garage somewhere. Then one day I knelled down to get something off the floor under some shelves. Out of the corner of my eye I see the pistol stuck between two tubs. It just blended in with the dark between the tubs. I asked myself why I put it there. No clue. Now I'm looking for a red dot sight. I keep them in the box they came in when not in use. One day about three months ago I picked up the box, opened it and no sight. It's not on anything. I have looked and looked. Finding it was part of the reason I cleaned up and out the garage. I thought I had received an empty box. But remember looking at it when it arrived. It is somewhere. I just don't know where. I'll keep looking if I can remember to. What were we talking about again?

Back