From someone that was on the (semi) front line.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
I recently retired from working at a grocery store. In fact, I retired a couple months early because of the virus. I was training, then working with, a guy that was going to be my replacement. I worked in close proximity to him and he didn't take the virus seriously. Thought we were way overreacting. Then they hired a college kid who would work across the table from me, and this was about the time of spring break and all the talk about college kids having big parties. None of us wore masks at this point.
I'm 66 years old and had my aortic valve replaced. I really didn't want to die just before I was due to retire. So I retired early. Turns out, only one person, at my store, ever came down with covid-19.
My personal feeling is that if we'd taken this seriously sooner, we wouldn't have had to take the drastic steps we did. Early on, I heard some pretty disturbing statements from people that should have known better.
I think we will (are) hear a lot of people saying we overreacted, but there is no way of knowing how many people would have died had we not taken drastic steps.

Funkworks

Reaction score
Last edited:

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would also like to thank the essential services workers like yourself for your efforts.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My personal feeling is that if we'd taken this seriously sooner, we wouldn't have had to take the drastic steps we did. Early on, I heard some pretty disturbing statements from people that should have known better.
You are probably correct.
However, I would caution from concluding that most people in the country are taking it seriously now.

Especially in light of the upcoming election cycle, CV19 and its death toll have become a just another political talking point.

I think we will (are) hear a lot of people saying we overreacted, but there is no way of knowing how many people would have died had we not taken drastic steps.
For what it's worth, Brits think it may be one half (1/2).

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The US lockdown protocols were mild compared to New Zealand's.
We chose a suppression protocol, they chose an elimination protocol.
Full quarantine, no travel outside of the home except for groceries and emergencies.
They just announced the other day that Covid 19 has been "eliminated" from their country.
They had two advantages we don't seem to have:
1. Strong, charismatic leadership in Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. Full lockdown went into effect early when NZ had just a few cases and no deaths.
2. Widespread support and participation from the populace.
Here's an article that details how they did it:
Excerpt from a health care worker:
“I do believe that if we didn’t have a lockdown, we would have had a massive amount of hospital admissions,” she added.

As a result they are now opening their economy sooner than their Aussie counterparts, who pursued a less aggressive policy.