From Mid power to High power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
The Estes Argent (Space Taxi) was my first MPR. I picked it up when they were on clearance. It was a pretty standard build with 5 minute. And I left the motor block out. Flew several 29mm Hobbline reloads And a chute release. My favorite mid power load is the G53FJ.

20170305_085256.jpg 20170225_130857-1.jpg

Then I decided to push Space Taxi a little harder and go for my level 1. I picked up an AT H115DM at a local SARG launch. But I ended up waiting a few weeks for LUNAR's Snow ranch with a higher waiver. She flew great to 2,152' and released the chute at 300'. I then opened up my wallet....
FB_IMG_1488732182971.jpg

A few weeks later I was reading about the competitions at the upcoming launch. I made plans to enter a few. Space Taxi would join the H class water lofter comp. But she was to small to hold a 500ml water bottle. So the transition what cut open and a sealed bulkhead was installed. A batch of west systems was mixed and sloshed the forward payload section and an AN fitting and cap was installed. She would now hold water.

20170817_192831.jpg 20170817_193114_1503023780705.jpg

I picked up an AT H195NT for the competition. Space Taxi took second place with 2,680'. But I completely forgot about needing a bigger chute for the extra weight. She came in twice as fast as normal, but no damage in the soft grass.

33006317403_d89fafd973_o.jpg 33690209021_602707a45f_o.jpg

Still one of my favorite rockets...
Elle 1.1.jpg

Last edited:
The Estes Argent (Space Taxi) was my first MPR. I picked it up when they were on clearance. It was a pretty standard build with 5 minute. And I left the motor block out. Flew several 29mm Hobbline reloads And a chute release. My favorite mid power load is the G53FJ.

View attachment 326724 View attachment 326727

Then I decided to push Space Taxi a little harder and go for my level 1. I picked up an AT H115DM at a local SARG launch. But I ended up waiting a few weeks for LUNAR's Snow ranch with a higher waiver. She flew great to 2,152' and released the chute at 300'. I then opened up my wallet....
View attachment 326725

A few weeks later I was reading about the competitions at the upcoming launch. I made plans to enter a few. Space Taxi would join the H class water lofter comp. But she was to small to hold a 500ml water bottle. So the transition what cut open and a sealed bulkhead was installed. A batch of west systems was mixed and sloshed the forward payload section and an AN fitting and cap was installed. She would now hold water.

View attachment 326726 View attachment 326728

I picked up an AT H195NT for the competition. Space Taxi took second place with 2,680'. But I completely forgot about needing a bigger chute for the extra weight. She came in twice as fast as normal, but no damage in the soft grass.

View attachment 326732 View attachment 326729

Still one of my favorite rockets...
View attachment 326730

And now onto L2!!! Time to open up the wallet! I'm just happy to have you along for the journey. Hoping that SARG launches will start up here again in November with the rainy season. I've got a "backlog" of rockets that need some air-time. And a TON of motors!

It would be nice to have November launches again. It's been a few years.

And now onto L2!!! Time to open up the wallet! I'm just happy to have you along for the journey. Hoping that SARG launches will start up here again in November with the rainy season. I've got a "backlog" of rockets that need some air-time. And a TON of motors!

Yes, Level 2 rocket is ready... Is yours? I'm going to attempt at BALLS. But I do miss flying and can't wait till November. We need to line up some drag races.

Good luck from one model rocketeer to another. Straight smoke and good chutes!

Yes, Level 2 rocket is ready... Is yours? I'm going to attempt at BALLS. But I do miss flying and can't wait till November. We need to line up some drag races.

Rocket is ready. electronics... I'm debating. I think I'm going to cave in and go with the chute release this year. So I'll need a couple of shakedown flights prior...

I thought you bought a chute release the same day I did. I love it... Super simple with no learning curve, unless you packing tight into a 38mm tube.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I thought you bought a chute release the same day I did. I love it... Super simple with no learning curve, unless you packing tight into a 38mm tube.

Nope... I should have. I've yet to ever lose a rocket to a chute/recovery issue (Now I'm going to curse myself)... I've cut down tree limbs and hiked and hiked to go get one. But the only one I lost was out at the old "SARG Cornfield". My Flo-Orange Asteroid Hunter. it landed I swear 100 feet from the pad! After 30 mins of searching, I called it off and just now am building it's replacement. But anyhow, Chute release this year. You might have seen my JL3 last year. That was my new purchase....

You can use mine if you want to test it first. Then I'm sure Mike will have one on his trailer.

Its tempting to use it for L2. But I am stepping up to real DD with a stratologger CF.

what's the rush? life is a journey, slow down and enjoy the ride.
Rex

Thanks. I'm pretty sure It's a given purchase now...
And yes, my debate precisely. Both are "new" to me, but one seems simpler and a little less technical than the other.

You can use mine if you want to test it first. Then I'm sure Mike will have one on his trailer.

Its tempting to use it for L2. But I am stepping up to real DD with a stratologger CF.

Back